Either you know it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to look it up. Even then I thought it was more regional trivia... unless you speak Dutch ;^)

ok, well someone else take it.

it might be seen as a regional thing, but i'd bet most new yorkers have heard of it. and there's a few of us. also, columbia university has it's "c" logo painted there, so anyone who's watched ivy league football might have known.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
ok, well someone else take it.

it might be seen as a regional thing, but i'd bet most new yorkers have heard of it. and there's a few of us.

It's Dutch for wolf spider. New Yorkers deep fry them, then spray with Windex. Am I right?

Last edited:
ok, here's a less regional one.

why is/was lead used in paints?

artists can still get leaded paints, and it's still used in some industrial applications.

Last edited:
To keep the color true?
I was going to say to keep the paint flexible.

I don't know very much about lead, other than I used to work with it. It's a real PITB to solder.

If I recall correctly, it kept the color truer because it made the paint more durable. It dried faster and was more water resistant. Do I win?

ding ding ding! winner winner chicken dinner!

firstly, it was a cheap base compoud that was neutrally coloured - anywhere from grey, to light blue, to whitish yellow, depending on simple additional chemicals. it could be made into lots of other colours from there, and itmade those colours to be brighter than other base compounds.

and as you said, it kept those colours from fading and gave the paint a measure of weather resistance.

you're up alix!

Sweet mother of pearl I KNEW one! WOOHOO!!! My weird store of trivial knowledge seems to be more limited than I thought.

How about a weird word one? What does "quisling" mean?

To keep the color true?
I was going to say to keep the paint flexible.

I don't know very much about lead, other than I used to work with it. It's a real PITB to solder.

soldering lead? isn't the most common solder made from tin and lead?

Sweet mother of pearl I KNEW one! WOOHOO!!! My weird store of trivial knowledge seems to be more limited than I thought.

How about a weird word one? What does "quisling" mean?

That's a WWII term for someone who supported the occupation govt./forces in their country. I think it was a person's name that was taken for the term.

soldering lead? isn't the most common solder made from tin and lead?

Yep. That's what made soldering lead so tricky. You more or less "drizzle" the solder on. Definitely don't sweat the joint like other metals or you've got major holes that can't be fixed, but it still needs sweated in somewhat.

Long before the arrival of the VW beetle and the Prosche to the shores of the USA, there was a home grown air-cooled car made in the USA dating back to the first decade of the 1900s. Please name it.

I don't know if they were air cooled, but I'll take a WAG and say the Stutz Bearcat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom