Eliminating Counter Top Spice Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be careful not to confuse the cinnamon and the cayenne! :ROFLMAO:

I'd be much more concerned about confusing the red pepper flakes for pequin flakes or arbol flakes.:wacko: Made that mistake once when I pulsed some pequins in the spice grinder and didn't label the bottle. It would have been fine IF I had used a 10th of a pinch instead of the normal pinch of red pepper flakes!:ohmy: I don't even want to think what it would have been like if the flakes were arbol or japones!:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

BTW, the only pepper flakes we keep in the spice jars are standard, run of the mill, red pepper flakes.

Be careful not to confuse the cinnamon and the cayenne! :ROFLMAO:

Hm. Interesting cookies you got there :LOL:

I find this is a case where sharpie markers come in very handy. My little magnet containers (though not as pretty as Craig's and Med's) have clear lids that take to sharpies just fine, and if need be the marker comes off easily.

Last edited:
I noticed a few of you mentioned you separate your spices by intended use - baking spices for instance.

I just arrange herbs and spices alphabetically with spice blends on a different shelf.

I have a baking cupboard. I keep baking spices and extracts there. That's how my Mom did. My parents have always had their houses built. The always built the same kitchen, with some minor changes. The spice cupboards have remained the same.

I noticed a few of you mentioned you separate your spices by intended use - baking spices for instance.

I just arrange herbs and spices alphabetically with spice blends on a different shelf.
My baking spices and extracts are in a plastic box in the cabinet. That way, I can pull out the entire box and get what I need quickly and efficiently.

I find it a lot easier to find what I want when they're grouped together by cuisine and it's also easier to add new ones without having to rearrange everything.

Last edited:
What if you need cinnamon for an Indian dish? Do you know to go to the baking section or keep two bottles of cinnamon?

Trying to illustrate a point. Which is that a number of spices are not unique to savory or sweet, baking or cooking.

Trying to illustrate a point. Which is that a number of spices are not unique to savory or sweet, baking or cooking.
I realize that. I use sweet spices much more often for baking than for savory foods, so this works for me. I used to alphabetize them years ago and I found it a PITA, as I described above.

That's how my sister does it. First time I'd seen it done that way. 4 Turntables with the alphabet selections clearly marked. Blends inbetween.

I do spend a lot of time looking, have even bought 2nd bottle thinking I was out. So I thought it was neat and :angel: one day :angel: I'm going to get around to doing mine.

I made small shelves for my spice bottles in my cabinet, then lay the bottles on their sides on the shelves. This makes it easier to fit more bottles in a smaller space while still being able to see and get to them all easily. I used a paint pen to write their names on the black lids. I don't keep them alphabetized. I have them arranged according to how often I use them. The top row are the most used, the bottom, the least.

Speaking of spices, one of the happiest days was when they opened a spice shop in our little downtown shopping district. It smells amazing when you walk in, and the quality of the spices, and especially of the dried herbs, is so much better than what you can buy at the grocery store, and it's cheaper, too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom