Experimenting with Cream Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All these recipes sound great---met a lady in Egypt who used to do a lot of entertaining in River Oaks, Houston, and she would take a small jar of sliced jalapenos, drain the juice, add sugar, let stand for about 15-20 minutes and then add the jalapenos to cream cheese. Wonderful on savory crackers!!

Constance said:
How about a cheese Danish? When Mom and I used to go to St. Louis for a shopping trip, we'd always bring home wonderful pastries from Mrs. Hullings. The cheese Danish was my favorite!

I have a friend who just mixes a little can of chopped green chilies with a package of cream cheesed, hits it with a little hot sauce, and spreads it on a cracker.

Another friend used to bring what she called "SOS" to parties. It was browned, seasoned ground beef mixed with cream cheese melted in, and was served with party rye bread. It was delicious!

sound delicious!:chef:

~emz~ said:
sound delicious!:chef:
Perhaps we should start a thread on what you can't do with cream cheese!
I've got two extraordinary recipes for (Cream Cheese and) Herb/Roasted Garlic Cheesecake and Smoked Salmon Cheesecake - pure delight!

I've been experimenting with adding some Penzey's spice blends to my fresh chevre or ricotta cheeses. My current favorite is the Chicago Steak Seasoning, just mix in by hand or food processor, I use for sandwiches or with fresh sliced tomatoes. Also good is to mix in Penzey's, Sandwich Sprinkle.

My father-in-law makes jalepeno jelly and I've had that on cream cheese before. it really is wonderful.
I also have had cream cheese mixed with Picapepper (sp?) sauce. YUM.:)

amber said:
I know this may sound weird, but I have always loved cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches on white bread. :)
That's not weird at all, I like the same combo, though I've shifted to brown/whole wheat bread :)

Zlatko, I'm loving your idea. Do you recommend the jarred artichokes, or do I have to cook a fresh one? Would a little parmesan cheese be acceptable?

kadesma said:
licia,
oh goodness does that make me want to go make some right now:LOL: I'm thinking about making some next weekend for the family, IF i can wait that long.111

kadesma:)

We make something like that, but without the gorganzola. Cranberries, nuts, and cream cheese, what a combo.:chef:

I could mess up your cream cheese. Want me to tell you how?:devilish:

But seiriously folks, I'm a lover of making people happy, not a devlishly crazed bad boy. I'm only like that at MudBugs' hot tub.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

cliveb said:
I've got two extraordinary recipes for (Cream Cheese and) Herb/Roasted Garlic Cheesecake and Smoked Salmon Cheesecake - pure delight!

clive, I'm at the head of the line for these recipes. Please share.

amber said:
I know this may sound weird, but I have always loved cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches on white bread. :)
My mom always made us grape jelly and cream cheese sandwiches. Love it!!

My brother and I love cream cheese with olives in it. We just eyeball how many olives we put in the cheese with enough of the olive juice to thin out the cheese a little. It makes a great sandwich. My mother makes it for my father but thins it out more and he uses it as a chip dip when plopped down in front of the TV to watch his football games.

My mom used to make me Cream Cheese & Olive sandwiches too, & I loved them. Those inexpensive jars of "salad olives", which are just slightly damaged pimiento-stuffed green olives, are perfect for this.

BreezyCooking said:
My mom used to make me Cream Cheese & Olive sandwiches too, & I loved them. Those inexpensive jars of "salad olives", which are just slightly damaged pimiento-stuffed green olives, are perfect for this.

Yum, sounds good. Bet that'd be good as a wrap.

I've tried cream cheese in cheese cake, with chocolate, fruit and topped raspberry/chipotle sauce on crackers, mixed with herbs and spices as a cheese ball with crackers and even bake it in flan (cream cheese flan with evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla)...lots of possibilities.

Adding on to the list...cream cheese in Chocolate Royale Cheesecake Squares, Bacon Appetizer Crescents, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Sweet Potato Crisp, Cheesy Harvest Vegetables, Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake, Carrot Ginger Cupcakes with Spiced Cream Cheese frosting, Autumn Pear Cake, Apple Pecan Cheesecake, Spicy Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Chunks.....got carried away with recipes. Just got my Food & Family cookbook in the mail. I'd be glad to post any recipes you'd like.

One of my favorite nibbles is cream cheese and smoked salmon on a bagel or stuffed in cucumber slices - as a salmon/cream cheese mousse with some fresh dill and a bay shrimp to top each slice off.

A lovely party appy, is a cream cheese, pesto and sun-dried tomato (or roasted red pepper) torta (made in layers), topped with walnuts or toasted pine nuts. You can make the torta in a large decorative mold or bowl, or in individual ramekins. Nice presentation for a party.

I watched a lady at a privately owned donut-type shop one morning make their cream cheese turnovers. It was a WHOLE BLOCK of cream cheese encased in puff pastry - servings 1!!!

I like to mix some cream cheese, coat cheese, and cooked sausages. The sausages can be any kind really. The last ones I made were a combination of 3 different ones. I stuffed the small jalapeno-shaped sweet peppers (red, orange and yellow) then I put them in my panini maker for a few minutes until the pepper was somewhat cooked (at least had some nice grill marks) and the cheese was melted a little. I served them atop a salad.

TNT taco cheese dip

This recipe was developed for fresh goat cheese, so I imagine you could use cottage cheese, and cream cheese would be devine.

1 pound soft cheese
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. hot chili powder
1 T. dried minced onion
3/4 cup tomato juice, or one large tomato

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.

I make this the day before use because it stiffens up overnight and the consistency may need adjusted the day of use.

Back
Top Bottom