Fav Healthy Meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am quiet diet conscious so i like lots & lots of salads & vegetables with boiled groundnuts in it.

mmm, soups!

I make a filling African Peanut Soup, as well as "cream" soups that are made with healthier, lower fat ingredients rather than dairy products (ie, pureed veggies). My husband also makes won ton soup with lean ground turkey and we had some veggies to the broth.

Also, stir-fries, heavy on the veggies, light on the oil.

I just made this the other night that was very good and light....I mixed cottage cheese into the rice with diced tomato, greek olives, cilantro and lemon juice.....I was surprised on how good the cottage cheese was in it!

Attachments

• JAN30 021.jpg
    JAN30 021.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 162
My personal favorite is an Asian-inspired fish soup.

1) Make a fish stock or a vegetable stock (or use canned) and add some fish sauce
2) Cook down your favorite vegetables into the stock (I use carrot, celery, bok choy, etc.)
3) Season with your favorite spices and herbs or those that go well with the fish you choose, and you can make it spicy
4) Bake fish in the oven topped with sesame seeds
5) Cook soba noodles and top with the broth and vegetables then place a chunk of fish on top

My favorite healthy food is Low-Fat Seafood Gumbo i really like it & want to share the recipe with you all. Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups clam juice
8 ounces fresh okra, tops trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 bay leaves
1/2 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
3 blue crabs, quartered, optional
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 dozen shucked oysters, liquid reserved
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 pound lump crab meat
Serving suggestion: cooked white rice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put the flour on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flour is a dark nut brown.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil with the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushing them through your fingers into the pot with their juices and cook for another 5 minutes. Gradually sift the browned flour in the pot until the vegetables are coated, cook for 2 minutes more. Slowly pour in the stock and clam juice, stirring constantly. Add the okra, bay leaves, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, thyme, and crabs. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
Add the shrimp, oysters with their liquid, green onions and parsley; cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add the lump crab meat and season the gumbo, to taste. Serve with rice.

That soup looks good. I don't use cashew butter though. Do you think I'd be better off subbing for tahini or almond butter; or blending in some ground cashews?

Tahini will give it a sharper flavor, which might still be good (might even be better!), but I haven't tried it. I would stay away from almond butter. I love both almond milk and almond butter, but find they lend an off-taste to creamy soups and don't work well with potatoes.

You can easily grind up about 1/2 ounce to an ounce of cashews in a spice / coffee grinder for a quick fix. Add the ground cashews to the soup before blending. That should work well. I use ground cashews often to make a quick cream, but had some cashew butter on hand which made this soup that much more convenient!

Turkey burgers with ancho chili peppers and onions on wheat buns with tons of salad
Oven roasted red potatoes with olive oil
Ground turkey and extra lean ground beef meatballs with mushroom red sauce on whole wheat spaghetti
Cream of broccoli soup with low fat cheddar and 1% milk
Chicken tacos with ancho chili sauce on low fat tortillas and guacamole
Banana bread with ground granola and whole wheat flour
Low fat yogurt topped with fresh berries and maple almond granola
Pancakes with ground flaxseed topped with berries or peaches and 100% maple syrup
Okay...I'll stop as I'm drooling here. These are my top favorites that I can think of right now.

• Fajitas with chicken, onions and peppers with low-fat sour cream, salsa, and refried beans (a misnomer - they're cooked in water like other beans, then mashed with a little oil)
  • Stir-fries with 2-3 cups veggies to 1 cup diced chicken or lean pork
  • Grilled center-cut pork chops with Dijon mustard/thyme sauce and a salad or grilled asparagus
  • Couscous with diced grilled peppers and onions and champagne vinaigrette
  • All kinds of roasted veggies with a drizzle of lemon juice or balsamic reduction

We use very little butter, and mostly olive and canola oils for cooking and for salad dressings. When I make mashed or twice-baked potatoes, I use just a couple tbsp. of butter and 1/2 cup or so of skim milk, along with cooked bacon bits and minced onions and garlic.

Turkey burgers with ancho chili peppers and onions on wheat buns with tons of salad
Oven roasted red potatoes with olive oil
Ground turkey and extra lean ground beef meatballs with mushroom red sauce on whole wheat spaghetti
[...]
Chicken tacos with ancho chili sauce on low fat tortillas and guacamole
Banana bread with ground granola and whole wheat flour
Low fat yogurt topped with fresh berries and maple almond granola
[...]

These all sound like awesome things I like to eat, too! Except for me, I would choose sweet potatoes and mixing ground turkey and pork instead of beef (i don't eat beef and try not to eat other proteins than fish unless I have a craving) for the meatballs. I love tomato sauce and actually whip up batches and eat some cold out of the containers in the refrigerator for the next night! That banana bread makes me hungry right now, not going to lie :chef:

We shall do efforts to live healthy all the time. It is not difficult to recognise which food gives really essential nutrients. Stop giving your money for this fast food craps. It doesn’t take much to cook a healthy meal. However, if I would like to lose weight I will count on fish, chicken, vegetables, fruits, water.

Garlic Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup picante sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
additional picante sauce

Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet;
cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in a shallow container.

Combine next 7 ingredients, mixing well. Pour over chicken;
cover and chill 1-2 hours.

Thread chicken onto skewers; cook over hot coals 6-8 minutes
or until done, turning occasionally and basting with remaining marinade. Serve
with additional picante sauce.

Serve over cooked spaghetti squash

Hi,

Home made pizza are a good way to control what is on your dish, because if you choose the right ingredient ( a low fat dough) , a low fat tomato sauce, and the right meat , or water tuna, with herbs like basilic, thym, parley. You can have a very delicious meal, low in calories.

;)

Hi,

Home made pizza are a good way to control what is on your dish, because if you choose the right ingredient ( a low fat dough) , a low fat tomato sauce, and the right meat , or water tuna, with herbs like basilic, thym, parley. You can have a very delicious meal, low in calories.

;)
Especially if you don't have cheese. It can be delicious without.

;);) Hi

Its good to see a discussion on the fav healthy meals. Different people will have different thoughts of recipes which they like most.

It is best if we try to eat whole unprocessed food where possible, and eat little and often to regulate your energy levels. Go easy on all the refined foods - it's hard - because everywhere you go - most of the food is made from cheap refined flours and base products.

Even if you are consuming a raw food diet, you are still missing key minerals that your body needs to thrive. So its is best to have healthy meal which contains mineral nutrition food.

Thanks..;);)

Hi

In my opinion liquid vitamins are better, just a little cup of juice and all done I have try the Multivitamin and taste great but the choice is all yours.

Vitamins is something people been using for a while and it is more common this days. People take liquid nutrient food to supplement the meals the eat and get the vitamins and mineral they need feel healthy and feel full of energy.

Thanks..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom