First rectangular pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many different legends about when and where the first rectangular pizza (" pizza al taglio" or "pizza in teglia" ) was made. I've read that it was invented at the end of the 19th century in a small Roman town where it became popular as street food and of course, still is today throughout thd country and all over the world.
It's easier to cook at home and also for fast food shops, where you can just grab a "trancio" and eat it without worrying about tomato/mozzarella dripping down your chin!

1695013415963.jpeg

. . . or maybe somewhere in Sicily much earlier.
Yeah for sure. I remember back in the 70's, a good friend of mine his mother who did immigrate from Sicily made their traditional pizza which was rectangle and quite thick in comparison to most other pizza's. I wonder if there was ever a rectangular pizza coming out of Naples?

Don't know when the first rectangular pizza came out of Naples, I think it was the Romans who started cooking those before them, but one thing's for sure, Napolitans are so proud of their real Napolitan pizza which is only round, cooked in a wood oven!

When I lived in the Maryland/DC area, there was a place called Lidos. The best pizza ever. They have been there since 1955. Mr. Lido couldn't afford the round pans upon opening, so he bought rectangular pans, so nothing has changed to this day.

Rectangular pizzas have been the norm in Rome and central Italy for generations. The pizza places display them on large roasting pans and you buy them by the weight..in a lot of places you can also buy some sliced meats like mortadella, salami and proschiutto, then they fold the pizza over and eat it like a sandwich.

IMG_4044.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow - until I read this I thought I pizza place near me in London held the record. It was called Square Box Pizza. Just checked and it's no longer active. And besides the Italian roots are 100's of years' older

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom