Food you wouldn't put in your mouth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
030711nutria.jpg

This little fella is a nutria. He is found in abundance in Louisiana swamps and bayous. He is an herbivore and supposedly really good eating from what I hear. I have actually seen this being offered at food stands at some festivals down here. I have yet had the guts to try this little guy. There is something that just doesn't sit right with me about eating a swamp rat.....plus the yellow/orange teeth just put me off. :LOL:

-Jim​

Well, Jim. This little fella looks too much like a "pet." And as Chefellas said, I'd be hard put to eat the little guy.

This also reminds me of the time I prepared a rabbit dish for Buck. Now, I like rabbit and he had never, to my knowledge, had rabbit. I didn't tell him what he was eating and he enjoyed it until he asked me what it "really" was. He'd picked up on some subtle texture. I told him. Had to.

His response, "Oh, no, Thumper!"

He hasn't had rabbit since then. That was over 25 years ago. Oh, well!

Jim...
I've passed on the Nutria a couple of times myself. However I have had beaver twice. It was not bad, but I want be setting traps anytime soon. I wonder if the Nutria would be about the samer as the beaver. Tell ya what...Go ahead and chow down on some Nutria and report back here....OK?:ermm:

Have Fun!

LOL@Bob I need to work up my nerve Bob. I have eaten alligator, dove, poule deau, crawfish, **** i have even eaten blackbird (didn't know it at the time) but I just can't get those big yellow teeth outta my head. :LOL:

Jim...
I've passed on the Nutria a couple of times myself. However I have had beaver twice. It was not bad, but I want be setting traps anytime soon. I wonder if the Nutria would be about the samer as the beaver. Tell ya what...Go ahead and chow down on some Nutria and report back here....OK?:ermm:

Have Fun!

I would never eat organs, squid, octopus, anything moving on my plate and of course not to mention the gourmet from south east asia (snakes, fogs, bugs, etc) :)

Chicory, blech! I hate it!:LOL:
Also: All kinds of souflé stuff with whipped eggwhite (I don't know if that's a word, but only the white part of an egg and whipped till it's thick and stuff, that's just gross)

Liver and bowels...
I once smelled baked/deep fried bowels, I had really had to puke...Puking because of a smell...that says enough, righto?

I simply can't stand Peanut Butter.
To me, it is disgusting... I am getting sick just thinking of.
Enough already

Question is, is it more mental than physical? I think so. I can make you a delicious soup that you would love ---------- if, you didn't know what was in it.

Buzz

That is so true!I know in my case, not eating raw oysters is totally a mental thing! Can't get the picture of it frantically running around in my stomach out of my head...:ohmy:
Other than that, I would try anything at least ones. Well, if it's not alive.

And you're right with that soup too.
I fed people many things they claimed not to eat ever! Like bone marrow on toast, all kinds of offal, crab (in my mom's case) and they even loved it.:LOL:

I applaud you, Hoot. I wish I could be like you about food. It would have saved me many long hours at the dinner table as a kid in front of a plate of congealing liver and onions! Seriously, there are a lot of things I just cannot eat. Stuff that isn't even "bad". I don't understand it but I know I would be violently ill if I tried to force myself to eat something that my brain is saying "no, no, no" to. And I'm not a wimp at all. I'm a mom now many times over and I worry about what they are and are not eating so I guess it's payback but I still can't eat liver and onions!

BTW Welcome to DC!

Some of the things I hated as a child I now love, such as rye bread, horse radish, radishes, raw onions, salt, etc. As we grow older, our tongues become less sensitive to some flavors. The caraway seeds that overpowered the rye grain becomes more subtle, even enjoyable. Also, our perceptions of food change as we age. Some things that I really loved are just not as good, and for the same reasons. It is now more difficult to find a pepperoni that has the intensity of flavor that I like.

Flavors that we like or dislike are an ever evolving sense as we grow and age. New experiences, and new knowledge help us to appriciate things that we didn't in our youth. On the other hand, we may learn to dislike some things we used to enjoy for the same reasons. Also, familiarity can "teach" us to enjoy flavors that at one time were distastefull to us.

My advice is to keep an open mind, and be adventurous. you can not know whether or not you like something if you never try it, and sometimes, if you never try it more than once, or in different ways.

By the way, I still hate mint, except basil.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I simply can't stand Peanut Butter.
To me, it is disgusting... I am getting sick just thinking of.
Enough already

Funny. In my 20's I hated peanut butter. But for some reason afew months ago I had the urge to try some and now I LOVE it.

Also several pages ago there was mention of White Castle. I tried it once 2 years ago and will never eat them again. The texture makes them taste like they're raw!

I HATE liver. Always have done. Used to have to have it as a kid but will never eat it again.
I also hate kippers, fish cakes, salmon, spam, corned beef. Just a few for starters.

My mum used to eat white bait. These are little tiny fishes complete with eyes still intact! :ermm:

pigs feet, frog legs, snails, clams, oysters, eels, brains , more things but can't think of them at the moment. :ermm:

yuckies

:LOL:
I think there are some things that taste differently on different people's tongues, due to some genetic wiring.

In my case, cilantro tastes exactly like plastic to me. And mango tastes JUST like turpentine in my mouth. Everyone I know enjoys both things, but I have to spit them out.

Lee

i love cilantro. hate mango, tastes like something rotten, and not in a good way.

there is no way i am eating a snail. that is what it is, even though has a fancy name.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

but i do love brains and eggs, my southern upbringing i am sure

love orka, fried or boiled with butter. also a southern thing.

we are all different, aren't we.

babe

I was curious because I saw Alton Brown eat a big ole brain sammich on one of his shows and at first he didn't seem to like it much but then he acted like he did (kinda).

Jim

Back
Top Bottom