Forget petty vents, this is a REAL crisis...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smart hub. 10 years ago one could go to dinner and have an enjoyable conversation. Today a dinner party starts with everybody placing their cell phone beside the plate "in case of an emergency" or "it might be important".

Socializing is a dead art.

Rant over.

My oldest son Spike has had eight heart attacks. He is the main reason I always have my phone with me. The second reason is me. I have had three heart attacks. When I am out of the house, I keep my phone in the little zipper pocket on the front of my purse. I keep the pocket unzippered so I can hear the phone ring.

One day I left my home on my scooter and had just reached the end of the driveway. I started to have chest pains and even after two hits with the nitro spray, the pain was still there. I reached for my phone, called Pirate who was upstairs to come help me. He was there in a flash. By then the pain had subsided. But he stayed at my side while I brought the scooter inside and up to my apartment. Usually the pain is gone with just one hit. I was facing the third hit which meant call 911.

I have the nitro "spray" that the medics on the ambulance use. It works much faster than the pills. I keep a bottle at my bedside, in the Velcro bag on the arm of my scooter, on my computer desk and one in my purse. And as I move around my home, I keep my phone with me so I can hit the 911 button if necessary. I do not take it out if I am out to dinner with others. With four or more of us at the table, I am sure one of them can call 911 in time. There is always one phone "on the table."

I only talk to my kids. Mostly Spike and Pirate. And it is always a text message. The phone only rings when it is Winthrop calling me to remind me of an upcoming appointment.

Fork, knife, spoon and plate belong on the table. Along with other needed items for a meal. Phones are not an eating utensil.

. Today a dinner party starts with everybody placing their cell phone beside the plate "in case of an emergency" or "it might be important".

Socializing is a dead art.

Rant over.

Fork, knife, spoon and plate belong on the table. Along with other needed items for a meal. Phones are not an eating utensil.

Hear Hear!!!
I try to remember to turn my phone off while at appointments. Also when out for dinner. If I forget at appointments ... well, I just don't answer! simple as that. IF I am expecting an urgent call - I put it on vibrate in my purse (which in restaurants is always between my feet). If it tells me I have a call, I check the caller - then let them leave a message if it is not my expected call. I have no problem ignoring the phone. I was a slave to the calls when I was in Customer Service.... but no more !!

It's not the phone's fault. It's not all that hard to teach your family manners. We have no issues with phones at the table because all our children and grandchildren have been taught that electronics have no place at the dinner table.

As for other adults, all you can do is make a suggestion that dinner be phone-free and hope for the best.

Hear Hear!!!
I try to remember to turn my phone off while at appointments. Also when out for dinner. If I forget at appointments ... well, I just don't answer! simple as that. IF I am expecting an urgent call - I put it on vibrate in my purse (which in restaurants is always between my feet). If it tells me I have a call, I check the caller - then let them leave a message if it is not my expected call. I have no problem ignoring the phone. I was a slave to the calls when I was in Customer Service.... but no more !!

Our phones are tied to our security system. You have to know the code of the person you want and dial those numbers on the key pad next to the door. My phone has a special ring to it telling me someone wants in. If I am expecting a package, our UPS or FedEx drivers know my code and use it to leave a package. There have been times when I was getting my vitals done at Winthrop and the phone rang. I knew it was FedEx as I was expecting a package. It took not even two seconds to let him in. I just have to press one number.

I also have to leave the phone on because of Spike. I know the number of his hospital and if I see it come up on my screen, you can bet, everyone else can wait until I take that call. If it were Spike, he would text me. And it would be his number showing.

Being spoken to on a speaker phone is yet another gripe of mine. When I'm speaking to you I expect my conversation with you to be private, not heard by just anyone within ear shot! Grrrr...

That irritates me as well. Especially when your in a restaurant your stuck over hearing a mundane conversation about someones dog.

I didn't make reservations, slap on the war paint. Do my hair and put on heels for that! We can do that at home. The Mr. and I always leave the phone in the car. People can wait.

That was before Mr. Munky's stroke.
He's lost the use of his left arm and hand.Now his right hand is going.
Without the use of the speaker he has no way of talking to anyone.He can't hold a phone to his ear.He at least tells the person he's talking to that he's on a speaker phone.Most people understand why and are very patient.The ones who complain *sigh* alot they've been put out because they actually have to listen for a change,have a conversation. Can really just get over themselves!

Munky.

It's not the phone's fault. It's not all that hard to teach your family manners. We have no issues with phones at the table because all our children and grandchildren have been taught that electronics have no place at the dinner table.

As for other adults, all you can do is make a suggestion that dinner be phone-free and hope for the best.

Definitely, we have friends over often and we're usually so caught up in conversation that nobody picks up their phone, and these are nerdy techie types.

Even the two of us while eating don't use our phones, we either talk or have our Echo playing music. It's not really a conscious thing, just habit.

Addie....really? I would love to hear how this lawsuit is progressing. As far as I know, it's not a crime for telemarketers to 'want to sell something'. Please keep us informed. :)

And how can you fault them if you play along with their game in the name of 'fun'? I just don't understand that....:huh:

It's the same thing with creditors when they call you. Each state has their own laws about when and how often you can be contacted by a creditor. If a creditor breaks the laws of the state you live in, they can be sued. There are lawyers who make a living solely on suing those creditors, meaning a lot of them break the law. The creditors, not the lawyers. Oh, well, maybe both. LOL

I'm in two minds about the telemarketers. On the one hand, I know they're people just trying to make a living like the rest of us. On the other hand, they set themselves up so well....Give this a listen sometime and I dare you not to laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0

I personally wouldn't have fun with the creditors, but the spam calls are something else. There's a couple sites devoted to how you can scam the scammers. Some of their stories are hysterically funny.

I got a new phone when my old one was lost. I ended up with a Smart Phone and all I use it for is incoming calls. Since I have the computer, I just use Skype for a phone. For a couple of bucks a month, I can call out anywhere in the US that I want to. So I'll add minutes to the cell phone (it's a pay-as-you-go phone) and when someone calls that I want to talk to, I call them back on Skype. Works well for me.

By the way, if any of you are planning on being a phone sex worker, you need to have a land line. You know, just in case you were considering...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:
It's the same thing with creditors when they call you. Each state has their own laws about when and how often you can be contacted by a creditor. If a creditor breaks the laws of the state you live in, they can be sued. There are lawyers who make a living solely on suing those creditors, meaning a lot of them break the law. The creditors, not the lawyers. Oh, well, maybe both. LOL

I'm in two minds about the telemarketers. On the one hand, I know they're people just trying to make a living like the rest of us. On the other hand, they set themselves up so well....Give this a listen sometime and I dare you not to laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKtS-k12b0

I personally wouldn't have fun with the creditors, but the spam calls are something else. There's a couple sites devoted to how you can scam the scammers. Some of their stories are hysterically funny.

I got a new phone when my old one was lost. I ended up with a Smart Phone and all I use it for is incoming calls. Since I have the computer, I just use Skype for a phone. For a couple of bucks a month, I can call out anywhere in the US that I want to. So I'll add minutes to the cell phone (it's a pay-as-you-go phone) and when someone calls that I want to talk to, I call them back on Skype. Works well for me.

By the way, if any of you are planning on being a phone sex worker, you need to have a land line. You know, just in case you were considering...:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: that was hilarious!!

Andy - I agree and my kids know it and obey...
It's when I'm out and I see it that I wonder why they are even with each other???
Anybody providing service yapping on their phone. Makes me angry.

PF - again, I get upset when someone is going thru a cash and yakking on their phone... how rude is that? The cashier is human and that is a very degrading attitude to put out - they should be ashamed.

I have not figured out a way to get them to hang up and look at the cashier. I mean, I have, but it would create a big stink. I'm trying to figure out a subtle way to embarrass them. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Andy - I agree and my kids know it and obey...
It's when I'm out and I see it that I wonder why they are even with each other???...

I think I've told this story before but it bears repeating.

SO and I were in Aruba on vacation. We were dining al fresco at a very nice Italian restaurant. A young couple was shown to a table near us. Handsome young couple. They could have been on their honeymoon.

As soon as they were seated, the broke out their gear. Smart phones, portable hot spots, whatever. The immediately became engrossed in their respective devices and only stopped and looked up to order their food and eat it.

They were oblivious to their surroundings and probably didn't even know what they were eating. What a waste.

... They immediately became engrossed in their respective devices and only stopped and looked up to order their food and eat it.

They were oblivious to their surroundings and probably didn't even know what they were eating. What a waste.

so sad... :ermm: I wonder if they will remember how they begat their children between texts... ;)

That irritates me as well. Especially when your in a restaurant your stuck over hearing a mundane conversation about someones dog.

I didn't make reservations, slap on the war paint. Do my hair and put on heels for that! We can do that at home. The Mr. and I always leave the phone in the car. People can wait.

That was before Mr. Munky's stroke.
He's lost the use of his left arm and hand.Now his right hand is going.
Without the use of the speaker he has no way of talking to anyone.He can't hold a phone to his ear.He at least tells the person he's talking to that he's on a speaker phone.Most people understand why and are very patient.The ones who complain *sigh* alot they've been put out because they actually have to listen for a change,have a conversation. Can really just get over themselves!

Munky.

Maybe it is just me. but when I come upon a "Mr. Munky" kind of person, I am more interested in their medical reason for what they need to do than any inconvenience their may be to me. Also, is there anything I can do to help. If not, then I just back off and let them do their thing. I am positive the Mr. Munkies of this world would much rather not be in their position.

So Mr. Munkies, keep those phones up on the table, put all your calls on speaker phone and do whatever you need to do to make your life easier and more comfortable. The rest of us will practice our social graces and keep our phone out of sight and our conversations private.

Oh I'm so sorry!! My phone is my life line! Sad but true. I like to be able to get a hold of my child, my parents and my fiancé and like them to be able to get ahold of me. Work is a different story.
I like the text message function. I don't have to wait until people are in and I don't have to waste time when I only want to send a short message (and have proof that I sent it.

Don't have a land-line as I'm not in the house much and I got fed up to the teeth with sales calls despite having the avoidance thingy on my phone.

Good mobile phone manners in public are essential though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom