Fresno Pepper vs. Jalapeno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
I've run out of my homemeade chipoltles and need to smoke more. I can only find Red Fresno peppers here and the the jalepnos are all green. They look identical. Are the same peppers with different names?

Thanks,

JDP

Thanks JG that's what I thought. I will need to find a red jalapeno source.

On a scale of 1-5 ... both the jalapeno and fresno come in at 3 (medium).

On a scale of 1-10 ... red and green jalapenos hit the scale at 5.5 - red fresno at 6.5.

On the Scoville Heat Units index - both can range from as low as 2,500 on the bottom end with jalapenos going up to 8,000-10,000 ... fresnos going up to about 10,000-15,000.

A jalapeno is a jalapeno - a fresno is a hybrid based on the hotter serrano. They have similar flavors- but the red fresno is hotter.

Well thankyou Michael. I will go buy a batch, give a quick taste and let the smoking begin. I absolutely love the flavor of the home made chipotles. I even smoked off a few habeneros and the are great and still very hot.

JDP

Billdolfski said:
The reason that they smoke Jalapenos is due to the thick flesh that doesn't dry well, correct?

From my understanding is that it's a flavor thing as well as a preservative thing. I smoked a batch last August and finally used them up. They lasted in the refrigerator with not other additions.

Smoking is a simple procedure for chipotles. 250-275 degrees for 2.5 to 3 hours. I put a pan of water in my Weber to help keep th tem down. I use hickory chips for smoke but you could use the wood of your choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom