Frozen Crawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyAK

Assistant Cook
While at the asian market the other day I grabbed a small amount of frozen crawfish to see what I could do with it.

All the recipes I've found require either live crawfish or peeled crawfish tails.

Any ideas on what I can do with frozen whole crawfish?

There's a good chance that frozen whole crawfish will be rancid. The fat in the head/thorax part goes rancid really fast. Even when cooking yourself, peeling and immediately freezing tails, you have to make sure there is not a whole lot of fat on them because they will go rancid fast even in the freezer. Also, the couple of times we've tried the Asian crawfish products, we haven't been happy with them for various reasons, nor have a lot of other people from what I understand.

Regardless, there really isn't much to do with whole crawfish. You can make a bisque with the heads but I've only seen that done with freshly cooked.

My advice, thaw them out and make a small appetizer-type dish from them. That way, if they are bad, you'll still have dinner. Regardless though, you are stuck peeling the tails unless you want to give your diners the whole thing and let them peel and eat themselves. There's just not really anything else for a whole crawfish other then peel-n-eat.

Back
Top Bottom