Grillin' Sunday, 8-27-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Craig will be reverse searing a 3" hunk of rib eye. We'll have either plain or baked stuffed potatoes, sauteed mushies and onions, and either straight up blue cheese or a compound butter on top of the steak, maybe a small salad, though might not want to ruin that carnivorous feast with that nasty green stuff. :LOL:

Last edited:
Heading into town to do some cash and carry for the deli..going to pick up some jumbo(tiger) shrimp and skewer them to do up on the charcoal. Cajun style. Probably have a couple of tenderloins to go with that..Will do some of that nasty green stuff, just not quite sure yet what it will be..

Just made a dish from Jamie Oliver that has made the house smell divine! Chicken Legs with Tomatoes & Basil. Basil & tomatoes from the garden. It is delish as I had to taste test, you might be able to see a slight dent in one of the drumsticks. :ohmy::pig::yum:

All in one pan, done in the oven and to quote Ina... "how easy is that!"

Attachments

• 20170827_153704.jpg
    20170827_153704.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 188
I'm aiming on grilling a small Walmart bought game hen tonight. 1 lb. Frozen. It's thawed now.

Every time I thaw out a 1 lb. Walmart game hen, or a bigger Tyson game hen, it drains out a full 1/4 cup of gamma gobulin liquid (it's not blood).

It drains out a helluva lot of that liquid (thawing for 2 days).

I plan on putting the small game hen on a wired roasting stand and placing it on the grill top to roast.

Damn, a thawing game hen puts out a lot of liquid gamma gobulin, or whatever that red juice is called.

Last edited:
I'm defrosting a small chicken which I plan to spatchcock and cook on the grill. I'll make pilaf and a vegetable to be named later (VTBNL).

Just made a dish from Jamie Oliver that has made the house smell divine! Chicken Legs with Tomatoes & Basil. Basil & tomatoes from the garden. It is delish as I had to taste test, you might be able to see a slight dent in one of the drumsticks. :ohmy::pig::yum:

Looks good! Do you have a link?

although I picked up this recipe from Food 52, this link is direct to Jamie Oliver. Only thing I boo booed on was the hot pepper. the one I chose was just not hot enough to flavour the dish... should have gone with a Thai bird, which was actually my original intention.

Jamie's Tender & Crisp Chicken Legs

Can't emphasize how easy it was. Longest part was going out to the garden and fetching, washing, pulling leaves of the basil!

I did not add the cannelini beans nor the potatoes - but for a complete meal with guests I would have.

My mother used to make something like that when she was grilling chicken parts. She would par-grill some extra legs and thighs, then cook them in a garlic/ basil tomato sauce the next day. That way it didn't seem like we were having grilled chicken 2 nights in a row. It was always delicious.

I am grilling chiken breasts tonight, and as per my boy's request, I made a ghost pepper mayo to go with it. He's gotten hooked on eating a local quickie mart's chicken wrap with ghost pepper mayo after football practice every night, so I made a small container of it from some dried ghost peppers from my garden a few years ago. Holy moly it's hot! Not like the wimpy stuff from quickie mart. He's in for a little surprise tonight. :mrgreen:

DW's chicken, of course, will be plain. Just s&p.

We had a late lunch at a new brewery downtown. DH had a Reuben and mac 'n cheese and I had a sausage, cheese and mustard sampler platter. So neither of us is hungry [emoji38]

If we feel like something later, I'll make salads. This was lunch, and our view. After lunch, we walked over to an outdoor art show.
0827171420_HDR.jpg
0827171420c_HDR.jpg
0827171440_HDR.jpg
0827171440a_HDR.jpg
0827171438_HDR.jpg

We ended up making a compound butter and homemade dressing with the blue cheese.

Attachments

• 2017-08-27 19.27.13.jpg
    2017-08-27 19.27.13.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 168
Thanks from me too for the link Dragon..that looks like my kind of dish.

SC finally found a smaller (4.5 lb) whole chicken at the grocery so I pulled out the Camerons stove top smoker, for the backless two chicken haves and seasoned them well, smoking them on the grill burner with apple and hickory for 50 minutes, and finished on the open grill for another 10 minutes. They turned out perfect.

On the side burner, I did the green beans and bacon with chicken broth favorite. Texas toast finished the meal.

Sunday And Monday's Dinners, DONE!

I did a twofer.

I had defrosted a Costco boneless center cut Pork Loin Chop,
IT'S HUGE! Over a pound of meat.

My intention was to use up all of the odds and ends
of fresh veg in the bin for a Pork Stir Fry.
As I was slicing the Pork nice and thin,
I realized that it was too much for one meal, for two people.

:idea:

Let's cook once for two meals.
(*added bonus-I only get the kitchen messy once with spattered grease*)

Meal #1 for tomorrow:

008.JPG

Pork Guisantes or Pork and Peas, a Filipino dish, a very popular dish in Hawaii. NAILED IT!
This is basically a Pork Stew, and don't all Stews taste better the next day?
:yum:

Meal #2 for tonight:

009.JPG

010.JPG

Pork & Veggie Stir Fry served over Chow Mein Noodles.
For this dish I don't really have a recipe,
I just sorta wing it, but this one turned our SUPER!

DH: Why haven't we had Stir Fry in a while?
Me: Because you told me a while back that I was making it too often.
DH: Well, I must have been wrong, this is delicious! Any more?
:huh::chef::LOL::wub:

Back
Top Bottom