Help adapting stove top recipe to oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I have this recipe I want to make for cipollini onions & apples -

Cipollini and Apples with Bacon Recipe | MyRecipes.com

But I have a number of other dishes to prepare on the stove top and would prefer to roast this instead. What steps would you do or change?

For the sake of easiness I was wondering if this would work:

- Crisp the bacon on the stovetop and then remove from pan
- Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes to brown, then add liquids, cover and roast until onions are halfway done
- Add apples and roast until they are done
- Add butter & thyme at the end

You can cook your bacon in the oven too! I think the whole recipe can be done in the oven, roasted vegetables are so good that way.

I agree with Dawg, except that I would cook the bacon on the stovetop, since you need the fat for the rest of the recipe, and I would stir it in at the end so it will stay crisp. The onions and apples will roast in about the same amount of time.

Also, I wouldn't cover it at all; that would be braising, not roasting, and the food won't brown. I think the liquid needs to reduce, too, and that won't happen in a covered dish.

Last edited:
I agree with Dawg, except that I would cook the bacon on the stovetop, since you need the fat for the rest of the recipe, and I would stir it in at the end so it will stay crisp.

Unless you have a bacon fat can! :LOL: I actually get plenty of rendered fat from baking the bacon, I put it on a bed of crumpled, then uncrumpled foil on a baking pan.

Last edited:
This can all be done in the oven. The recipe in the link seems overly fussy.

Heat the oven a high temperature - 450ºF or thereabouts. Cook the bacon in a low-sided pan and cook it to crispy. Remove the bacon and toss the rest of the stuff with the bacon fat to coat. Roast until done. Garnish with crispy bacon.

Unless you have a bacon fat can! I actually get plenty of rendered fat from baking the bacon, I put it on a bed of crumpled, then uncrumpled foil on a baking sheet.

So do I ;) I just wanted to clarify that I wouldn't cook the bacon in the dish with everything else and I wasn't sure she wanted to cook a bunch of bacon at one time.

Back
Top Bottom