Help please with non-spicy salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Years (decades ago actually!) I first discovered cilantro. I'd lived in the Midwest and although my mother was a great cook, pepper was the only spice besides salt that was in the kitchen. I moved to Berkeley CA and WOW! First Mexican food. First cilantro. First avocado. First flauta.

Finally found out that Chinese parsley and cilantro were the same things----- but it was hard explaining 'cilantro' to the Chinese shopkeepers in Chinatown what I wanted! They tried!

@ Bucky
"but i can't imagine using canned tomatoes unless decent fresh ones are unavailable."

I can't either, but I haven't had a decent fresh tomato since I stopped growing my own----no matter what price I paid for them. I don't get to a farmers market much so maybe there could be some there.

For 'youngsters' here----- a 'decent' fresh tomato doesn't crunch when you bite into it. Neither does a 'decent' strawberry. (Oops, now I've shown my age!)

@ bucky---- I'll look into your information about cilantro. Thanks.
About your astrological sign------

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

All the rest who have taken the time to answer---- many good ideas there and I thank you all.

lol, what, what?

at least i'm not lacking potassium.

i look forward to your continued participation in our little corner of the cyber world.

Last edited:
@ bucky
" i look forward to your continued participation in our little corner of the cyber world"

You might regret that later! lol
Seriously, I love cooking and eating and talking about cooking and talking about what I ate and what I plan to eat (is the the definition of a gourmand or a glutton?)

I especially like what is provincially called 'ethnic' food here in the U.S. although I don't turn my nose up at hot dogs and potato salad. So I'll probably be browsing and asking questions all over this site.

@ Princess----- "which ear?" Never thought of that! (grin)

You could take your salsa in a different direction, depending on what your main dish is or what you want to complement--

Pineapple chunks, preferrably fresh, canned works
a tsp or 2 of sugar, optional
vidalia or red onion
avocado diced
juice and zest of one lime
2 tsp to 2 Tbsp or more, Mint, finely chopped
Mix, chill. serve
Add the avocado just before serving.

how do you do with the spiciness/peppery-ness of fresh radishes?

if you're good with them, i posted a mango salsa with some of the heat coming from the radishes, if you're interested.

i'll have to go look for it.

how do you do with the spiciness/peppery-ness of fresh radishes?

if you're good with them, i posted a mango salsa with some of the heat coming from the radishes, if you're interested.

i'll have to go look for it.

I seem to do fine with them.

An update------I've been using myself as a 'study of one' to see if hot spicy foods exacerbate or contribute to my urinary 'problems' (it's complicated) and after eliminating hot spice from my diet I find it's not that.

Whew. Am I glad!

Other dietary causes might contribute and I'll continue to eliminate them one by one in more 'studies'. It may not be dietary at all though.

But, boy, am I glad it's not chili peppers or other 'heat'. LOL

Now I'm hoping it's haggis---- for that would be VERY easy to eliminate. :LOL:

Thanks for all the help for my 'study'.

Don't rush with your conclusions. Cetain foods will continue to produce side affects for quite a while, even after you stop eatting them. Just like druggs, you have to give a time to flush it out of your system.

I would try dried ground habaneros. You can add alot of heat without using much pepper. See if the capsasin is the problem. My wife has been battling with something similar and she can handle some spicy things and not others. Everyone is different and she is still trying to find out what she can handle. She had to give up coffee until she found out cold brewed coffee works for her. There are some support websites that have pretty good info.

Back
Top Bottom