How can I tone underarm and upper thigh areas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
p.s. I pretty much agree against using weights with aerobics, especially leg weights. I have used hand weights when walking, but really feel the benefits are better if you use one, then the other. It is so easy to injure yourself using weights with aerobic activity.

I agree with Claire.

SizzlininIN said:
Here's a site I've found very helpful

http://www.akard.com/

Ooooh he's cute!!!

I've started doing weights this year, I have someone else's shoulders and arms now, my old flabby things have gone, if only my lower body responded as well to training, ah well.

All those exercises suggested will help. I love the tricep dips (you can do them on the arm of a sturdy chair, best if you get soemone to sit in it for stability!!!) and I love lunges for legs and bum, and squats. If you can invest in a fitball as someone else has suggested, there are so many things you can do on it to help your tummy and back. I love the fitball. I use mine at the gym, and don't care how fat or silly I look!!!

The biggest tips for weights I can give you is "smile", look confident and you will start to feel confident. breathe, enjoy the feeling of your body working, and don't feel intimidated and don't rush. Change is a s.l.o.w. process, and you just have to work with your body til you get where you want to be. Nothing good ever came easy.

I have a 70 year old friend who joined me at my exercise class, telling me it was the first time she worked out. Now that's brave! We started her with 2 and 3 pound weights. I really wish more women would learn that weights are our freinds.

Remember that some outdoor activity, even when the weather isn't nice and sunny, is a great help if you're prone to depression. There are times when you don't have much choice but to use an indoor machine. But try to get outside for some activity several times a week if your health alows. Even if you don't feel like you're receiving sunshine, you are, and it is a real depression-fighter. For us women going "through the change" that outside time can help keep you keep you away the anti-depressents and sleeping pills. It isn't a total panacea, but it does help.

Outside

I can't remember if I said that I exercised in the cemetery and that they said I should not come if it wasn't for the right reason. Well, I asked the owner and he said he finds no fault with me since I have my family and my own plot up there. So now the guy who has the equipment that digs the graves drives behind me and at times has forced me to use the ground instead of the road. He has come so close to me trying to impress upon me he doesn't like me being there. He doesn't like his job and having me around must annoy him more. I mainly go there because of the high hills and most importantly no traffic except for his grave digger. He used to take his car and scare me now he uses this thing. If I mention it to the owner, he may do something worse. I do not know why I attract all the troublemakers. Can't people just leave each other alone? Getting outside is great if there weren't mean people. My friends all go to clubs which I find nothing wrong with if you like that. What would you do?

Oh, ITC, you gave me a good laugh. When I was on the road for a few years, a couple of times I used cemetaries as a nice parks to walk through. When I was young, for many years, Arlington Cemetary was a regular spot for walks. Where I now live, there's an old cemetary that is a favorite spot for people to walk their dogs. No one has ever disapproved of it, and I always think of myself has having friendly spirits to keep me company.

Claire

In the Kitchen said:
I can't remember if I said that I exercised in the cemetery and that they said I should not come if it wasn't for the right reason. Well, I asked the owner and he said he finds no fault with me since I have my family and my own plot up there. So now the guy who has the equipment that digs the graves drives behind me and at times has forced me to use the ground instead of the road. He has come so close to me trying to impress upon me he doesn't like me being there. He doesn't like his job and having me around must annoy him more. I mainly go there because of the high hills and most importantly no traffic except for his grave digger. He used to take his car and scare me now he uses this thing. If I mention it to the owner, he may do something worse. I do not know why I attract all the troublemakers. Can't people just leave each other alone? Getting outside is great if there weren't mean people. My friends all go to clubs which I find nothing wrong with if you like that. What would you do?

Claire, I really fail to see the humor in the senario. The guy in the cemetery tried to run me over with a dump truck today. i called the police they said after I tell the owner about it and if he doesn't do anything then they will have to handle it. If someone is trying to do bodily harm they are not obeying the law. Working in the cemetery and trying to harrass someone are not the same thing. i am really fearful and know that he does not have the right to try to keep me out of there. The owner comes in on the weekends from Chicago and I will speak to him the next time he is there, if I see him. As I said before, why can't people just leave each other alone?

To: In the kitchen.
You said you were going to try these exercises to see if they help. You will have to be patient. A lot of people give up after weeks or months of exercising because they don't see the results they want soon enough and think it's not working. I know from experience. Don't give up. You will eventually see results.

Von Glassoff

Thanks for your encouragement. It doesn't seem like it is making big difference. Only notice that the muscles seem sore so I guess they are trying to change the way I hope they will. I drove by Club Fitness last night and no place to park on the lot. I wanted to wash clothes at laundromat there. Looked like t here was ballgame going on. Do you really think t hey work over long haul? don't you have to continue to go the rest of your life? I really wonder if they will be going next year. I remember my brothers going to work out when I was young. They worked out in the back yard too. More interested in gymnastics though. Where do you exercise?

I exercise at home. A few years ago I was a member of a gym and went consistantly for 2 years. I was in good shape before I started going and in great shape while going. After 2 yrs. I quit. For a lot of reasons. It wasn't because I didn't like to exercise. I could work a whole day and go to the gym and feel like I could work another day that evening. But when I quit my body for some reason got worse looking than it ever did. Maybe I should have quit gradually. Anyhow a couple of years ago I started exercising on a regular basis to help strenghthen my back. I got up every morning and started doing stretches and then strenghtening. I started adding movements for all of my body and then I added aerobic exercise. When I get through with that, I get on the treadmill or go out for a walk. I started losing weight and inches. People started asking me what was I doing to lose weight. I told them about exercising and also I quit eating past 7pm. My back is so much better. I had to buy smaller clothes. I love to exercise with music. I play music I have stored on my computer and I have some great speakers with a subwoofer. I have always loved 80's music and my favorite song to exercise with is by Loverboy called Working for the Week-end. Do you remember that group? I really get my arms and legs moving and I have better shaped arms and legs & I do not mind letting them show. I found that exercising with music helps alot. I don't always feel like exercising but I just make myself. There are a lot of things in life we don't feel like doing but we do them. Like paying my electric bill. I don't feel like doing that but I do anyhow. Faithfulness. That is the key. It takes a long time to see the difference but it is worth the results. The exercises that were recommended on this thread are very good. Be careful not to over do it and get too sore because then you want to quit. When I get sore I just stretch that muscle. It helps it feel better. Drink lots of water. That helps too.

Great!

All these comments are so positive. Sure uplifting. Von Glassoff you have your life in order don't you? Your words sure encouraged me and I thank you for sharing and taking time to describe. I don't recall the music you workout with. I am sure going to copy your message and try to find it. Must be really good. I have CD by Tina Turner that I listen to. Whenever I hear it I think I should be up moving around. You never mentioned if you have weights or not? Since going to the gym everyday I am sure you remember most of the moves to do them at home. What kind of exercise you do for your legs, the inner thighs? My friend said can't do anything about it. An age thing. Happy you took interest in this topic. I am grateful to all who comment. I just can't believe how many people run to the gym when you can do the same at home. To get results, should make you more pleased. I am happy for you. I have to hang your comments on my wall. They will help when i don't feel like moving! Have good day.

In the kitchen:

I just got back from a walk to find your message. For my inner thighs I stand with my feet about 2 to 3 feet apart and stretch as far as I can side to side. After I get the muscles used to it I go faster. Find music with a beat you can keep up with. I started out doing 30 reps. Then 60 reps. Now I do this to some songs I have that are 4 mins. long. I also noticed when doing squats (with no weights) that it also stretches that part of your leg along with that inner part of your knees that can look like you have a big goose egg there. Don't extend your knee past your foot when doing these. I also stand on a step and hang by my toes and let my heels drop as far as I can to get a good stretch on the back of the calf and legs.

We've just found that our new insurance will pay for a health or fitness club for my dh and me. I want to choose exactly the right one - with staff that can help us to do what we need to do properly. I don't think that is going to be easy to find. I would like a wide range of choices, water activities, etc. I hope it will help to get us off some of our medications.

Exercise

I am thankful I have friends here who know what I am trying to achieve. i just want to maintain my health and keep excess weight off. But NO! Since the dog has to have diabetes shot at the same time everyday I can't leave the house until after 8 to go for walk. I have been walking in cemetery like I said and it is not funny when someone with dirt mover aims the stupid thing right where you are walking. He doesn't like his job and so he doesn't want me doing what I want so he plays games with the machine. He thinks he is capable of doing more even t hough he acts so immature. Today, I had enough and I called the administration office and told them about it. If they don't do anything I'll have to call the police or the owner. If my grave and my family were not up there they may have some reason for saying not to go there. Everyone who has people there say they don't know why anyhone should say something. I am in such a nervous state when I get home from there. Surprises me how it affects my day.

Von Glassoff. I am happy you get to walk in peace. I am doing the exercises you suggest as well. Since most of you have gone to fitness centers I don't have to call t hem for help. I have ordered the CD you play and hope I can keep up with it. I have never heard of them but I bet the kids have. When were they popular? I listen to Tina turner as her music is both slow and fast. It does help. Everytime I play it I think I should be exercising. Thanks for advice and won't lose this thread I hope.

Last edited:
It isn't easy. When we were on the road I made music tapes to walk to, to overcome the boredom that sets in whith almost any exercise program. My tapes had (have) everything on them: Classic, C&W, old rock-n-roll, some odds and ends -- everything from Creedence Clearwater Revival through Wagner (hey, love the Flight of the Valkyres for walking!!) through Doly Parton. It has to have a certain rhythm and an upbeat feeling. Slow and quiet is for when you get through with your walk and are sitting around with a cup of coffee or (in my case) LARGE ice water.

Classes are great because you form freindships where people put you to shame if you don't show up. "Claire, where were you Monday ... we were going to send out the medics!" (a party the night before left me lethargic).

Most men know this without needing to be told: One of the best things women can do for themselves is learn a little weight lifting. So many women my age and older are still afraid of weights. It is good for your bones, good for your muscles. Nothing gets rid of those underarm bags better than a good weight program. I learned to do it early because I was a sole woman in military gyms and fitness centers. It is the single thing you can do in a new fitness routine that, if you've never done it before, will show you something in the mirror (so many women get discouraged because they aren't seeing results). I don't mean the heavy-duty stuff, I mean buy a set that has a 3 and a 5 lb weight. Eventually you'll want more!

Walk

Where do walk? We have no sidewalks so we have to walk on side of road. That is why I walked in cemetery. Now that is stopped so I am wondering do I walk back on the street? Tried to walk at high school but got to boring. Some people smoke while they walk at the high school track. That one I really never understood. I noramally like to walk by myself as when I start with someone they poop out on me and then I feel lost. Doing things alone seems to bring best results.

I'm saddened that we have built walking out of our communities. I often feel that I'm a lone voice when it comes to this subject. I did purposefully look for a community to live in where I could walk, and often people think I'm sort of the village eccentric because we (hubby agrees) walk anywhere it is practical to. ITK, I didn't mean to make light of your situation. I really have walked many cemetaries and never ran into anyone, including greiving families, who thought I was intrusive or didn't belong there. It is sad that you have run into that problem. I wish everyone who thinks of fitness as something you have to belong to a gym, or have a workout "routine" to do, would start to look in their own front yards and imagine taking a walk. If everyone would think about it when they get in the car to go to get a bite to eat. Perhaps most especially if they get in their car to join friends for a drink. We need communities that allow us to walk to our basic neccesities. They're fading fast.

I don't think I posted this before, but I started walking in my neighborhood in the mid 70's when it was still really country. At first I would ride a mile with my dh in the am and walk back home before I went to work. When the schedules changed and this wasn't possible, I started walking in the afternoon. One day as I was walking, a sherriff's deputy pulled up next to me and stopped. I couldn't imagine why he had stopped and said to him "Don't tell me I was speeding". He laughed and said he was just patrolling the neighborhood and to enjoy my walk. Dh couldn't decide whether to be glad they were patrolling or wonder why he had stopped. After that they just waved when they saw me walking. Many people would come by and offer me a ride thinking I must need one. But now so many people in the area walk, including my dh who walkes over 4 miles every morning. I limit mine to the treadmill now.

I often get offers of rides from well-meaning people who think I'm desperate if I'm on foot. Since I started writing a column in the local paper, most people now know I really DO want to WALK, and sometimes pull up to chat. It is only a few blocks from our house to Main Street, and the walking is beautiful here. But almost all drive it anyway, even though they will drive to a park to take an "exercise" walk. ??????? Am I nuts, or are they?

Nuts

Claire, according to the people today we are the ones who are nuts for walking, especially when it is in the neighborhood. Everyone thinks they should go to club to exercise. All costs money and they are so brainwashed that they go to the health club to walk. I don't think that all the clubs are of no value but for walking? i am really frustrated that I have had that trouble with the guy working there. It all started when he started making comments about what I was wearing and then it just continued to get worse. I don't think he can take authority or be told that he shouldn't do something. I am so worried that if I try to visit my mom's grave or something he will be so mad that he will act ually run me over he has that kind of mentality. He doesn't realize I am not his problem. He is upset that he doesn't have job that gives more satisfaction.

Trying to walk on the street is challenge but people do do it. They really have no choice. When I was younger without car I had to walk. I realize now may have been blessing. Guess I should be aware of them more than I do.

licia, can't you walk with your dh when he does? Don't let others bother you. Have to have strong mind as well as body.

If you have to walk on the street, without sidewalks, I have a few hints to make it safer. I add here that I have done it all over the country, on all kinds of roads, and it can be very dangerous.

#1 is most often unknown. Pedestrians are supposed to walk FACING THE TRAFFIC, on the left side of the road. This way both you and the driver know that you see the car.

#2. If you use a walkman (and I always did), keep it low enough that you can hear the cars coming up behind you.

#3. Wear something bright and highly visible. Yellow is one of the most visible colors on the road. I don't care if beige, black and gray are your normal wardrobe colors. Give it up for something people can really see, even neons.

#4. This one can save your life ... if a car is approaching you, and you hear one coming up behind you (the reason for the walkman being low if you use one) on a narrow road, stop walking for a second and step aside. Chances are neither driver will see you because they're distracted by each other.

#5. Use all personal safety measures that you know about. Never assume a dog you meet is freindly, no matter what an animal lover you are. Look all people full in the face and say hello (don't act like a victim, but a strong, confident person). Stay in well-lit areas if you have to go out after dark. If you do, carry a flashlight, there are all kinds of those now that are easy to carry, strap on a belt, etc.

#6 is one I ignored terribly, but is important. When you go out walking by yourself in an area where people may not know you, find a way to attach some kind of ID to your person. It should have as a minimum your name (write it in your clothes with a sharpie, if nothing else). There are tags you can put in your shoes that have other important info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom