How do I Cook Salmon so I can Barely Taste It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yajee

Assistant Cook
I need to start including salmon in my diet, I just don't like how it tastes at all. How do I go about cooking it or what can I add to it to make it taste good? I can't stand that oily fish taste, not a seafood person but need to start eating it for health reasons. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Would taking a salmon oil supplement accomplish the same thing?

1692818940409.jpeg

Would taking a salmon oil supplement accomplish the same thing?

View attachment 65669
Hey Aunt Bea how goes it and thanks for replying. Thanks for the suggestion but I actually feel like cooking it and trying to get used to it, I'm sure there are gonna be some recipes out there that might make me like it. Or tolerate it at the very least lol. I don't want to close myself off from eating such a healthy food anymore.

Yajee, I don't care for fish either. But I have learned to eat and like! Salmon, and most white fish, like Cod or Haddock, Sole and Tilapia. One thing I cannot do is eat leftovers of fish, blech.
So perhaps not as high in your omega's as salmon is, why don't you start with the milder white fish.
Cod is high in Omega's. but don't forget so are eggs, walnuts (I was surprised) and canned tuna.

Do you eat Fish and Chips?

Edit:
and I never have them in stews/soups, etc. either. (shudder)

Yajee, I don't care for fish either. But I have learned to eat and like! Salmon, and most white fish, like Cod or Haddock, Sole and Tilapia. One thing I cannot do is eat leftovers of fish, blech.
So perhaps not as high in your omega's as salmon is, why don't you start with the milder white fish.
Cod is high in Omega's. but don't forget so are eggs, walnuts (I was surprised) and canned tuna.

Do you eat Fish and Chips?

Edit:
and I never have them in stews/soups, etc. either. (shudder)
What's happening Dragnlaw? So I am fine with white fish like cod, cause yes, I love fish and chips loool. It's specifically salmon I'm trying to incorporate. Just been Youtubing recipes and found this butter-honey-garlic salmon recipe that sounds like it might be good at covering it. Might give it a go and see how it ends up.

Ahhh, understood. Do you have a friend whose cooking you enjoy? Maybe they could cook it for you. (or a restaurant)

Sometimes if someone else does it, it will work for you. (edit: and then you get brave and try it yourself :LOL:)

I know if is very easy to overcook fish, but at the same time I heartily suggest you make sure it is not undercooked. I put myself into "off" on salmon for awhile because I accidently undercooked it. again, another blechhh

This sums up perrrrrrrfectly how I feel about fish when you get that vomit inducing oil taste loooooool. We're on the same page honestly.

At the moment I'm on my Tod so have to cook it myself.

I love salmon cakes. Also, I love salmon poached and cooled with a dill cream sauce. Neither are overly fishy.
Salmon cakes, hmm, interesting, never thought about that. Would you have a recipe you recommend?

I basically do something like this. If I do not have onion, I will use onion powder. I typically use egg, crackers/bread crumbs, salt, pepper and flour and the onion/onion powder, ofc. I also add a quarter teaspoon of baking powder. However, as you can see by this recipe, you can add whatever you think is tasty. It's a very quick recipe and I always keep a couple cans of salmon around for them.

I basically do something like this. If I do not have onion, I will use onion powder. I typically use egg, crackers/bread crumbs, salt, pepper and flour and the onion/onion powder, ofc. I also add a quarter teaspoon of baking powder. However, as you can see by this recipe, you can add whatever you think is tasty. It's a very quick recipe and I always keep a couple cans of salmon around for them.
Thanks for this. Will give this method a go too.

I have a wonderful recipe done with fresh salmon. You need to chop/chop super fine. I'll find it. Maybe i've already posted it somewhere.

I have a wonderful recipe done with fresh salmon. You need to chop/chop super fine. I'll find it. Maybe i've already posted it somewhere.
Oh please let me know if you find it. Could I chop it in a blender/food processor?

do'nt thnk I posted it but here is a link - the picture is sort of fuzzy on my screen, hope yours is clearer. Let me know if you cannot open the link.

America's Test Kitchen, 2 ways with fish

You can watch the whole show or just go to about 17 minutes for the salmon cakes. If you like it I can post the ingredients for you.

Yes, you can do it in the processor. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom