How do I Cook Salmon so I can Barely Taste It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Aunt Bea how goes it and thanks for replying. Thanks for the suggestion but I actually feel like cooking it and trying to get used to it, I'm sure there are gonna be some recipes out there that might make me like it. Or tolerate it at the very least lol. I don't want to close myself off from eating such a healthy food anymore.
Lemon, butter, and dill help a lot. I like fish but salmon isn't my favorite. Except raw in sushi.

Edited to add that cooked teriyaki salmon is also really good and goes well on a bed of rice with chopped cucumber, diced scallions, shredder carrot, and sliced avocado.

Last edited:
Argh, I was afraid of that.
Ok, I'll try to re-write it for tomorrow. Bear with, Bear with!

Also my mother used to use canned salmon and mash potatoes for ... umm timbales croquettes! I think they were called. I actually used to eat those.
Mixed together, rolled in crumbs, and fried. I've only tried doing it myself once many many years ago - it was a disaster but I think I've learned a few things since. I may try to do them in the oven.

Last edited:
It is about the only website I pay for. I used to faithfully get their magazines, but ran out of space. They were great, but you can get them all on line so I figured I'd save the price and spend a little more per year with easier access, plus ability to find specific recipes.

Hi Yajee! If you love fish and chips, you must also love curry! So how about making a curry with salmon? The spices will almost overwhelm the salmonyness!

Lemon, butter, and dill help a lot. I like fish but salmon isn't my favorite. Except raw in sushi.

Edited to add that cooked teriyaki salmon is also really good and goes well on a bed of rice with chopped cucumber, diced scallions, shredder carrot, and sliced avocado.
1589841154090.png
20200603_212202.jpg
20200603_212602.jpg

20200822_215900.jpg
20230823_181441.jpg

Salmon benedict with hollandaise sauce is pretty yummy! I had this at a resort in Mexico
20191209_124159.jpg

Argh, I was afraid of that.
Ok, I'll try to re-write it for tomorrow. Bear with, Bear with!

Also my mother used to use canned salmon and mash potatoes for ... umm timbales croquettes! I think they were called. I actually used to eat those.
Mixed together, rolled in crumbs, and fried. I've only tried doing it myself once many many years ago - it was a disaster but I think I've learned a few things since. I may try to do them in the oven.
I am pretty sure my mum made something like this too and we all loved it! My mum was a terrible cook, so I bet she formed patties and put them in the oven. Definitely give it a go Dragn!

(Not because you are a terrible cook of course - just that putting them in the oven might work!)

Yajee, if you can't find a recipe you like for cooking salmon, maybe you would like it smoked or gravad (cold cured). I personally can't eat cooked salmon without a gag reflex. I do however enjoy salmon that hasn't been cooked with heat. My husband thought he didn't like salmon until I introduced him to cold smoked salmon. There's something that happens to salmon (and trout) with heat that some people find unpleasant tasting.

Yajee, if you can't find a recipe you like for cooking salmon, maybe you would like it smoked or gravad (cold cured). I personally can't eat cooked salmon without a gag reflex. I do however enjoy salmon that hasn't been cooked with heat. My husband thought he didn't like salmon until I introduced him to cold smoked salmon. There's something that happens to salmon (and trout) with heat that some people find unpleasant tasting.
It's interesting how different people's tastes are. I like hot smoked salmon over cold smoked. To me, the cold smoked seems slimy in texture. I like the fish to flake apart. If I can't find hot smoked at the store, I will buy cold smoked and cook it a little. We like salmon on our bagels so after spreading the cream cheese and putting the shallot and capers on, I'll put a few salmon slivers on and toast in the toaster oven for another minute. I like avocado and everything bagel seasoning to finish just before serving.
20230201_130918.jpg

If it's for omega 3's then there's lots of variety within seafood as a whole. Tuna, oysters, mussels, sea bass, tilefish, trout, arctic char are a few examples. It's not hard to find omega 3's. The omega3's in plants (ADA) for example aren't converted very well into EPA and then conversion further to DHA is pretty much non existent, so keep that in mind and of course fish oil supplements are available but a lot of the companies selling these aren't exactly the best quality and considering the FDA doesn't regulate supplements, it's buyer beware, and apparently there's quite a bit of oxidized fish oil on the market, so do your research.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom