How do you wash mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm moving back to my teenage growing up area where on the way to school we passed a mushroom growing facility. On my last trip there I saw they were still there. Think I might go in and take a tour - if possible.

Years ago I went to a mushroom festival in Kennett Square PA, just outside of Philly. Aside from the mushroom cooking demo's, mushroom themed food trucks and crafts , and mushroom themed lectures, they also had tours of a local mushroom farm ( which I took, and loved). I heard they may have been discontinuing it due to liability issues. Oh, did I mention the " Cute as a Button" baby photo contest ?

https://mushroomfestival.org

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.39.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.39.19 PM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.39.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.39.08 PM.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.38.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.38.34 PM.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.38.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.38.21 PM.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 51
Back in the 90s, and maybe a little since then, I used to go to those things in Kennett Square, and stock up on mushrooms, before the cremini, portabella, and other unusual mushrooms were available just about everywhere, like now. They sold large portions of them - I think 6 lbs was the smallest amounts, but I would split them all up with friends. Down a little farther, in Avondale, there was a Mexican grocery - another thing I had to get down there, until it was available in local stores.

Awww Larry - Cute as a button.... love it

GG, just to ask... horses urinate and drop their feces in the same bedding of their stall. They are not separated and I have no idea how long it takes for decomposition of the various manure piles. It can be from 2 years to 5 years from my understanding. Plus their bedding can be either straw or wood shavings for inside the stalls, which will also affect decomposition.

Having owned, operated and mucked out stalls, I do know that decomposition takes place at many levels and under many different conditions for the manure piles.

Also I "think" I read it was horse manure used for the medium to grow but can anyone vouch for the fact it is not cow/pig/chicken/duck/unknown... manure? many of which are much richer in various .... somethings.

I rarely wash them - just brush off any big bits of growing medium.

Two years ago someone gave be a mushroom log for Christmas - It's still producing delicious shitakes and they have no dirt on them. Button mushrooms I buy need a light brush........

Awww Larry - Cute as a button.... love it

GG, just to ask... horses urinate and drop their feces in the same bedding of their stall. They are not separated and I have no idea how long it takes for decomposition of the various manure piles. It can be from 2 years to 5 years from my understanding. Plus their bedding can be either straw or wood shavings for inside the stalls, which will also affect decomposition.

Having owned, operated and mucked out stalls, I do know that decomposition takes place at many levels and under many different conditions for the manure piles.

Also I "think" I read it was horse manure used for the medium to grow but can anyone vouch for the fact it is not cow/pig/chicken/duck/unknown... manure? many of which are much richer in various .... somethings.
Thanks. I'm just wondering whether the medications survive digestion since things people and animals ingest are changed chemically in the body; some substances are changed into something inert and used partially by the body and the rest excreted. Some things are mostly used and partially excreted unchanged. But since the idea of eating or taking medicine is for the body to metabolize it and use it in a specific way, unless you are taking more than the body can use, the body will use it.

Then there's composting to get through. I'm really curious about how much medication would survive all that. Finally, there's the question of how much of any remaining med would be taken up by the plant's roots. That's a lot of chemical activity, breaking down and changing substances to something entirely different.

I usually wipe each mushroom with kitchen roll. I forget where I read that this was the best way to clean them or whether the person saying it was any more expert about the matter than anyone here. Sometimes I peel the mushrooms.

Once, in my childhood, when my family was on vacation in County Donegal, we climbed a hill, where wild mushrooms grew, and picked some. Months later my three yearold brother asked our older brother, 'Do you remember when we went to heaven and picked parsley?'!

Gillian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom