How it works in my head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oddly enough, I prefer the bottoms. :ermm: Do you think I could get a job as the designated muffin-bottom-eater? :yum:

I am STILL holding out on my donut for when the new shop opens in town. They are waiting on ONE part for their donut-making equipment (each location makes everything on-premise) and they'll be able to hang the "open" sign.

Some of the bigger DD shops still make their doughnuts on site. The smaller shops like the ones at T stations receive their products from the main facility that makes them and delivers to all the small kiosks. Krispy Kreme is big down south, but a big flop up north. The south just love their sugar like their sweet ice tea and KK doughnuts. :angel:

But does that sweet craving feel like a biological necessity?
Or do you think it could be habit? I know I was brought up to have dessert after the main course at lunch, and cake at teatime and although I don't often have it nowadays unless I have visitors, I still feel my meal isn't complete without a little something sweet even when I'm full-up with the main course.

Having said that, a group of us were discussing this in connection with children and one of our number said you shouldn't give children anything sweet so they'd never get the habit. One of the others said that we were probably fighting a losing battle with that because breast milk, supposedly the best food for very young babies, is actually very sweet! You pays your money and you takes your chance.

Many years ago, I used to get cravings for Coca Cola. I started substituting O.J. Now, I might get the urge for a Coke once a year, but usually only if I see one. It's easy to resist, 'cause I don't like the taste of Coke with HFC.
Coca Cola is odd. I can't stand the stuff - it tastes vile BUT if I'm in a very hot country it's the only thing that sorts out the thirst and the heat. And weirdly, it actually tastes good then!!!! It can't be differences in the recipe because I'm told it's a closely guarded secret and a hanging offence to alter it. There must be something in it because it's often recommended for persons with a bout of Delhi Belly/Montezuma's Revenge.

Coca Cola is odd. I can't stand the stuff - it tastes vile BUT if I'm in a very hot country it's the only thing that sorts out the thirst and the heat. And weirdly, it actually tastes good then!!!! It can't be differences in the recipe because I'm told it's a closely guarded secret and a hanging offence to alter it. There must be something in it because it's often recommended for persons with a bout of Delhi Belly/Montezuma's Revenge.
See, your body is telling you (by making it taste good) that you need it.

AFAIK, Coca Cola is still made to slightly different recipes in some countries. Some countries don't allow some ingredients. When I lived in Europe in the '70s I noticed that the Coke in France made my teeth squeak, but the stuff in Denmark didn't.

See, your body is telling you (by making it taste good) that you need it.

AFAIK, Coca Cola is still made to slightly different recipes in some countries. Some countries don't allow some ingredients. When I lived in Europe in the '70s I noticed that the Coke in France made my teeth squeak, but the stuff in Denmark didn't.
I didn't know that recipes for coke are different in different countries. There is always a great fuss about the recipe being secret and only two people knowing it at any one time. Probably an advertising ploy:).

I've mainly drunk it in Spain (for the cooling, etc) and various north African and middle eastern countries for the cooling and in the, probably inaccurate, thinking that it's safer to drink than "local" cold drinks.

It may have something to do with the sweetener used in Coca Cola. Here it's corn syrup, tastes much better in Mexico, they use cane sugar, I think.

When I used to golf, there was nothing tastier on a hot day. Now we stick to Coke Zero.

It may have something to do with the sweetener used in Coca Cola. Here it's corn syrup, tastes much better in Mexico, they use cane sugar, I think.

When I used to golf, there was nothing tastier on a hot day. Now we stick to Coke Zero.
I have been told and read it on the internet too, so it must be true ;), that during Passover it is possible to get "kosher for Passover" Coke that is made with cane sugar, since corn is a grain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom