How's the garden coming along??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We may skip this year. Just no time. We have plenty of room, but finding a place that stay sunny most of the day is hard. Also being too lazy to rent a tiller. This winter I may try and find a good used one, then I won't have to worry about it.

Instead we will be concentrating on clearing the last half acre or so in order to plant a new mini orchard. As well as build some raised beds and continue with reviving the old orchard.

So plenty of planty things to do, just not a garden this year.

I've never grown potatoes, celery, nor garlic, although my ex gave me some a couple of years ago but they came to naught. Think the poor things were overcome by weeds as that was about the time my health issues kicked in :LOL:.
Matter of fact almost no root vegies at all that I can remember. Except maybe radishes. I tried cauliflower one year - what a disaster that was! This is also my first year with leeks and the onions, well, if I can ever get them in the ruddy ground... we'll see.

I'd really like to put in at least 2 more beds, preferably raised. But... need to find someone to help me do it! I have the most wonderful neighbours in the world but I'm determined not to ask them - they've done and do so much for me already!

Dragn... go to bed...

I was told by Shrek today that I have made our yard look "absolutely beautiful" and he is "proud of the hard work I have put in". I'm still looking for the hidey hole where he put the camera away.

Aw, what wonderful compliments, PF. :heart: I guess we'll all have to put our thinking caps on and direct our energy your way so that you can stumble upon your camera. It would be nice for you to get photos before the crops have all been harvested.

You don't...think...Shrek tossed it out...by mistake. :ermm: Do you? :ohmy: I've done that to myself. Hope that isn't the problem.

I've looked everywhere for it. He may have tossed it or even mailed it off to somewhere. The joys of old age...

Got almost everything planted. The wi d did a nu her on my tomatoes. Some will have to be replanted. I have a few pepper plants and some cabbage to go in but I'm waiting g for a calm day. Potatoes are doing really well as is my onions. Got a whole bunch of sweet corn in also.

Last edited:
I put a soaker hose in the potatoes it works very well.
6453f8aa28caf6555aa18da5042d8737.jpg

My irrigation system is keeping the vegetables growing. I can't remember the last time we had any measurable rain, several weeks ago. These photos are of the raspberries and onion beds.

Attachments

• DSCN5798.jpg
    DSCN5798.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN5795.jpg
    DSCN5795.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 124
Great pics!!
Picked my first strawberry today, Picked the last of my romaine lettuce, as they outer leaves were starting to brown a bit and get slimy ( very cool wet spring here).

I wish I had the sun exposure that you guys seem to have from your pics.
Im on 1/2 acre with trees kinda closing in on me.
I do the best with what I got, conveniently placing the garden in the most sunny location, and going vertical where I can to maximize my space.

Irrigation must be a real issue in New Mexico.
Thats one of the few things I don't have to worry about

Moats and soaker hoses today for the squash and cucumbers. The strawberry plants I got yesterday are already fruiting, they were half price. That's all over at Mom's. My yard is almost finished. There are flowers everywhere.

Im pretty much done too.
Just waiting for the peanuts to pop up, but I'm guessing they're not liking this cool temp too much. Tomorrow ill dig one up and see if the constant rain caused it to rot instead of germinate.

With just about everything in, now i got out and check on things several times a day ( as if they are going to ripen ( or even appear) since the last time I checked).

Flowers, I'm kinda pacing myself. Usually i get everything at once, and have a lot left over ( due to poor planning on my part). This year, I'm fighting my temptation overtime i go to a nursery. I get a few things, plant them, look at it for a few days, see what else i need, then go back and fill in the empty spots.

Im sure it will all work out when all done.

I've run out of open space in the lawn...the two peony plants got the last of the real estate. The kid who mows for me is wondering if he'll have a job for the rest of the summer. Of course he will, I have a backyard to clean up and plant. A paint job for him if he wants.

Don't go crazy on the perennials and shrubs. I did 35 years ago, and there is not one square inch to plant anything else.

usually I spend the summer studying all the things I've done wrong over the years ( all the perennials that are too crowded). I take pics and make notes ( so when they disappear over the winter then start to reappear in the spring, I know what is what ). I then spend the winter trying to figure out what Im going to move where. And, you guessed it, I spend the spring rearranging and correcting my mistakes, and giving away half the crap I impulsively bought, with no good place to put. Its a viscous cycle, but I think Ive finally ( somewhat) learned my lesson. Thats why this year, I letting things kinda fill in first so i can then see what I need and where to put it. Sure there will be crowding and over growth as the years go on, but Not as much.

I know its not an efficient or inexpensive situation I put myself in, but, it keeps me busy , which is a good thing.

What i need is another acre of land, and more time to manage it.

I try to keep notes each year. The best thing I did was stop trying to plant a complete farmers market. Especially with stuff like cabbage or broccoli that all come in at the same time. I limit now to corn, green beans, purple hull peas, squash, tomatoes, bell pepper and okra

Every is planted. Only had room for my favs at the Elders'3. But got 30 tomato plants, eggplant, jalapenos, kale, beets, radishes and spring salad mix, various herbs

I planted a few anchor perennials in the raised bed, I have the rest of it planted in annuals. Everything still looks like it just came out of the pot, it should relax nicely in a few more days.

The vegetable garden is coming along. I spent the last two days working on it.

Back
Top Bottom