Hummingbird feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH took one look at the birds and said "that is WAY photo-shopped".
It would have to be because hummers are very territorial and I dont think that many would put up with each other at the same time!

Actually, that's a common thing in these parts - my folks have hummers year-round and usually anywhere between 15 and 40 are at the feeders, which hang 4' apart. They change the water every other day, and when Dad takes a feeder down, they buzz around him. I had much success at my last place (often counted 25+ at a time) but at this house, it's only a half dozen or so because there's a senior living park on the backside of our property and ALL the little old ladies have feeders up!;)

About 2 weeks ago, I was standing on a chair, putting up one of the feeders. It's one without little perches, and a hummer was buzzing around me, attempting to drink. So, I put my hand up to the feeder ports and he sat for a while on me, much happier to rest. I couldn't feel his weight, but his little toenails were scratchy!

Here's a quick recipe: on the stovetop, cook up 1 cup of drinking water & 2 cups of sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring now and then. Once boiled, stir till water's clear. Then add a cup of ice and stir till melted. It cools down your hummer food quickly, and the birdies really go for it. As for color, I put a couple of drops of food coloring in to first attract newbies, but it's not necessary after the first few find the feeder. It's also good to hang it next to a hanging "hummer-friendly" plant, like a fuschia.

I know I've posted this before, but I'm still proud of it (and it's even been ppublished in a magazine!)
This is a baby (notice his cottonball-bottom) that came to visit me:

img_639104_0_7942f4b8c9709943d3caf825e6f8ca2a.jpg

That is a great pic jkath!
I need a few more feeders. I just love the fly-bys!

I had a feeder for years, hanging by a wire right outside my kitchen window. Then I moved and planted a garden with lots of blooming things. The hummers now visit the flowers and I no longer use the feeder.
:) I think the reason I get so many hummers is there just are no flowers around. It's been so dry for so many years. Once you get them comming to you the same ones will return again the next year.

Back
Top Bottom