I'm So Old That I Remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rage was to see how many you could brag about wearing at any one time. I was limited to 4 but one of my sister's had 6 I think, or maybe it was 8.

Heavens to Mergatroyd! The other sister wouldn't "lower herself to the hysteria of the masses". LOL

crinolines, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.
Don't forget the twin set sweaters, pencil skirts, your boyfriend's letter-sweater and the bullet bra!
Oh my goodness. I haven't thought about those horrible stiff petticoats in years. I'm itching just thinking about them now.
They are pretty stiff, so go with the wiggle dress and a swing coat. Very chic.

Don't forget the twin set sweaters, pencil skirts, your boyfriend's letter-sweater and the bullet bra!

They are pretty stiff, so go with the wiggle dress and a swing coat. Very chic.
Wiggle dress and swing coat?

I remember owning several "twin set sweaters". We called them cardigan sets. They weren't called "pencil skirts" back then. They were called "tight skirts".

Pencils! Glad you mentioned them. When I was a kid they used to sell potato chips in big white boxes containing two grease-stained bags of chips, and around the end of summer this box would include a round #2 pencil. It had the potato chip logo all over it, and it was much coveted by my brothers and sisters. I think I was in seventh grade until I actually got one. And I dropped it, and the lead broke, and that was that.

Remember the little "eraser hats" they had for pencils?

Pencils! Glad you mentioned them. When I was a kid they used to sell potato chips in big white boxes containing two grease-stained bags of chips, and around the end of summer this box would include a round #2 pencil. It had the potato chip logo all over it, and it was much coveted by my brothers and sisters. I think I was in seventh grade until I actually got one. And I dropped it, and the lead broke, and that was that.

Remember the little "eraser hats" they had for pencils?
You can still buy those. I have some in an updated version. They aren't made of the same rubber that used to get hard and useless. I think the ones I get now are silicone based.

Hey! It's your nickel.
Knee high to a grasshopper.
Well, Fiddlesticks!
Don't take any wooden nickels.

Sadly, even with all the moving around we did, I've never lived where there was an ice cream truck. :cry:

Dr. M, I have a pack of those "eraser hats" that I got at the grocery. There must have been 20 in the pack. I use them regularly since I do a lot of crossword puzzles. You can guess how good I am since I need to use one after the pencil eraser somehow disappears!

Hey! It's your nickel.
Knee high to a grasshopper.
Well, Fiddlesticks!
Don't take any wooden nickels.

Sadly, even with all the moving around we did, I've never lived where there was an ice cream truck. :cry:
See you later alligator after a while, crocodile.

The discussion about soap chips reminded me of these old soap savers.

1693922135266.jpeg

My grandmother had one with a bar of Fels Naptha brown laundry soap in it.

When she wanted to wash a few things in the kitchen sink she would swish the soap saver around in the water to create a cleaning solution.

1693922317033.jpeg

Aunt Bea, we always had Naptha Soap around.

But that soap saver sure do look like a popcorn popper! Without the bottom tray.

When we went to Norway, my Dad found and loved a cheese that absolutely looked like Naptha Soap - and as far as us kids were concerned, we joked that it tasted like it too.

Back
Top Bottom