I'm So Old That I Remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember the gas thing happening several times. Most recent after hurricane Sandy.

We had milk delivered in glass bottles too. There was a form to fill in if you wanted other stuff than your usual delivery. I remember my mum skimming the cream off the top of the milk in those bottles. What I don't remember is the bottles freezing open. I grew up in SoCal and it just never got cold enough for the milk to freeze.

I remember looking up at the night sky wondering which bright lights were stars, which were planets, and which were satellites.

Nowadays there's so much light pollution it's pretty hard to make out anything.
With Sputnik 1, there was no need to wonder if it was a different satellite. It was the only artificial satellite in the sky for nearly a month. It orbited about once every 96 minutes, so you got a few tries to see it in one evening. It was also polished to very shiny. Shiny and fast - it was easy to spot.

Last edited:
I honestly don't remember much of Sputnik, I was 12 and living in a new country (Germany) so it wasn't really of much interest to me.

I remember having milk deliveries, bread deliveries - by horse drawn wagons. They always seemed to put their feed bags on near our house. I used to just stand there and stare at these horses munching away. Being warned by the man to not step off the curb, those huge hooves hurt! I loved their smell. What's that Will Rogers quip? Nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse. (something like that) Always wanted to put a sign up in the tack room of the stable - another "to do" that never got done.

At one time, there were a couple of horse drawn wagons traveling though our neighborhood. One sold live chickens. The housewife would come to the wagon, point out a chicken and the vendor would kill it and hand it over. The other horse drawn wagon was a knife sharpener.

In the 60s the Romani Gypsy caravans used to come through our area every two or three years.

No horse drawn wagons, all new shiny pickups and airstream trailers.

They used to camp for a few days in a meadow near a local lake while they worked the area.

I remember my grandmother buying lawn furniture from them that was made out of cedar posts.
1693772079885.jpeg

We never experienced any problems but many people reported problems with home repair, driveway sealing, and other assorted petty crimes. I’m not sure how much of that was fact or myth.

I haven’t seen or heard of any similar groups in the last 50 years.

Inner city gangs have ousted legitimate peddlers and the burbs don't condone them either. Now there are vans going around with your frozen order, that you placed on-line, for meats and seafoods.

wouldn't it be great to take your knives, on a Sat. morning, to the Open Air Market and have them sharpened?

I'm 66 and a kiwi. Nz were prolly 10 to 20 years behind murica?
I remember staying at my nanas and granddad's they had an outside toilet. A bucket under a hole in a 4 sided box. Old school.
My granddad came back from wwll after 4 years in a pow camp I Poland. No money was a thing then. Sparse meals and no leaving the table until plates were empty. No elbows on tables. Saying prayers at night. My home had a proper toilet. He drove 39 chev. I've tried to track it down.
Milk at the gate in a bottle.
Mum sending me to the shops with a note for ciggies etc.
Mum making our clothes on a treadle sewing machine.
Some fond and not so fond memories.

Russ

...hurrying home from school to watch the saga of Luke and Laura on General Hospital.

...where I was when I saw on the news that John Lennon had been shot.

...staying up late on Sunday nights to listen to the Doctor Demento show on the radio.
I remember well, where I was (my native city London) and what I was doing when John Lennon was shot.

I remember when John Lennon was shot. It didn't make nearly as big an impression on me as when John F. Kennedy was shot. I remember hearing the announcement on the P.A. (public address system at school). I couldn't make out what the principal was saying. A bunch of the girls in class started screaming. I though WWIII had started from the reaction and the fact that at the time, we were pretty much always worried that it could start at any time. I and pretty much everyone I knew, were in shock for a few days. This was at least as shocking as the Cuban Missile Crisis, just over a year earlier.

We still have serviced petrol stations ;)
And carbon paper is still in use, esp with government

I don't remember Kennedy being shot. I wasn't born yet.
I should remember Lennon, but it's very vague

I remember....
Rice & pasta being exotic foods
We had to go to the toko (Indonesian shop) to find brown or pandan rice or anything other than just a minimal amount of easy cook rice

I remember a man coming around, offering to sharpen knives and scissors. He had manual, not electric, equipment in the back of his pick-up truck and did a great job sharpening. He didn't charge much, and mother always offered him lunch or cookies or at least a cold drink.
I was in biology class when the news of Kennedy being shot came over the PA . Classes were dismissed for the day, and we all went home to watch TV. Walter Kronkite trying so hard to hold it together while announcing the death. That was a newsman, and we sorely need more of his ilk now.

I remember the Watkins ‘Vanilla Man’ used to stop every couple of months with his latest offerings and a little fresh gossip.

The only time my grandmother was happy to see him was in the fall so she could get a fresh bottle of vanilla extract and a few spices for her holiday baking.

The rest of the year she would search his catalog for the least expensive item she could find and hurry him on his way.
1693836336293.jpeg

Inner city gangs have ousted legitimate peddlers and the burbs don't condone them either. Now there are vans going around with your frozen order, that you placed on-line, for meats and seafoods.

wouldn't it be great to take your knives, on a Sat. morning, to the Open Air Market and have them sharpened?
We still have the knife & scissors guy at the weekend Farmers' Market...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom