Instant Pot barley gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
A couple nights ago I made a gumbo type dish in the Instant Pot. I started by cooking 1 1/4 c barley, in 3 1/2 c water, plus some salt, for 20 min., then let the pressure release naturally. Then I rinsed it, and it filled a quart soup container, and I put it in the fridge. I also thawed 2 pint containers of okra - still good from 2019! I rinsed it, to get the slime off, then I sprayed a NS wok with a little baker's spray, and cooked the okra over med-high heat for about 10 minutes, drying the okra, and browning it some. I cooled this, and refrigerated it.

Next day, I made the gumbo, which was going to be meatless, until I remembered some beef kielbasa I had in the fridge, so I diced that, and sautéed it on the low setting, too cook as much of the grease out as I could. I drained that on paper, then in some olive oil I sautéed on regular the onion and diced green bell pepper about 10 minutes, adding some garlic, the spices, and a small can of tomato paste, and stirred for 2 minutes. Then I added a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, rinsed the cans out with about a half cup of white vermouth, and mixed it in, then covered, and set the pressure cooker for 15 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally.

After this, I added the barley and okra, plus a half cup of lentils. I tasted it, added some soy sauce for salt, but it needed some acidity, so I added some amchur powder - an Indian ingredient used to add acidity, sort of like adding sour salt. I brought it to a boil in sauté mode, then put it on slow cook, high, to simmer for 20 min., to finish it.
Gumbo, before adding the quart of cooked barley, and 3 c of cooked okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Barley and okra, added to the gumbo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gumbo, simmered 15 minutes after adding the barley and okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished barley gumbo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This stuff is almost better leftover, and I even had some for breakfast!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom