Is shmaltz much more or less healthy than canola oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't use either. Schmaltz due to cholesterol, canola due to processing. Canola also makes a good insecticide.

Conventional wisdom says natural fats from animals is killing everyone on the planet so don't eat them, but I don't believe that, and neither of the 2 paleoanthropologists (husband and wife ) I know that study this for a living, so for me it's schmaltz and that's not even comparing taste which is a no contest, canola has bupkis going for it. :giggle:

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom says if you want to be healthy, avoid fried foods altogether. I personally wouldn't trade fried foods for living longer. The question then becomes, which results in better tasting food? I would say it depends on what you're making.

Also for the science minded people out there.

Canola has some trans fats in it's from the refining process, specifically the deodorizing process. It's not a lot but it could be, taking into consideration how much a person consumes. Another health concern not directly related to canola but seed oils in general that are high in polyunsaturated fats which do directly effect the average humans Omega 6 to their Omega 3 balance which should be in the 1:1-4:1 ratio and at the moment ranges from 12:1 to as high as 25:1 which is basically a pro inflammatory environment, which is far from ideal.

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom says natural fats from animals is killing everyone on the planet so don't eat them, but I don't believe that, and neither of the 2 paleoanthropologists (husband and wife ) I know that study this for a living, so for me it's schmaltz and that's not even comparing taste which is a no contest, canola has bupkis going for it. :giggle:
Same. I think what's killing us is a lot of fried food, not animal foods per default.

Interesting subject. Couple of years ago I read an article about natural fats, Schmaltz and Lard included. Article was about study that was done about those fats. I wish I kept the article. But the conclusion was that they are not as bad as people think they are. And certain oils are not any better than natural fats. In reasonable amounts of course.
As far as canola oil, I will rather eat Lard, even though I keep kosher, before I touch canola, it is absolutely disgusting.
Olive oil, corn oil, sunflower oil. Anything but canola.
To answer your question, Schmaltz hands down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom