ISO a few specific soup recipes, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do a bacon cheese potato soup in a crock pot, although I suppose you could do it in a regular pan and boil the potatoes in water.

Let's see....now a lot of this is to taste and of course, you could always sub ham for bacon...

7 cups diced potatos (You can make them as large or small as you want - I sometimes used the frozen diced hashbrowns from the store)

1/2 lb to 1 lb bacon cooked and diced

6 1/2 cups chicken broth (or a combo of chicken broth and water)

1/2 chopped or grated onion (I grate it in the crock pot to get all the juice)

1/2 TBS minced garlic

some parsley

some basil

some salt (I don't always put in salt because the bacon or ham can be salty)

pepper

cayenne

(all these are optional and of course you can add others)

2 TBS butter

2 TBS flour

1 cup cold milk

2 to 4 cups cheese (I usually do half cheddar and half mozzarella)

1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche

Combine the diced potatoes, the chicken broth, and the spices in a crock pot and cook on high for about 5 hours or until you can smash the potato pieces. Likewise, you can boil the diced potatoes in a large pot until they're soft - say 15 to 20 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, dice and fry or bake and then crumble the bacon. A pound of bacon seems to make about a cup + or - of crumbled bacon. I love bacon, so I usually cook the whole pound up.

When the potatoes are soft, make a sauce melting the 2TBS of butter and then adding the 2 TBS of flour and cook for several minutes. Then add the milk and stir several minutes until thickened.

Take the pan off the stove and add the cheese, stirring until it's melted and smooth. At this point, I have to transfer my potatoes from the crock pot to a much larger bowl, but if your crock pot is large enough, you can now add the contents of the pan to the potatoes. This is when I add my bacon and sour cream. Stir everything together until it's well mixed and serve.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
But then it doesnt become Scotch Broth if you use another meat...
Then I shall call it "Polish Scotch Broth" and enjoy it! ;) Seriously, I'm in it for the barley, which we love. The other ingredients in your recipe are different than the ones I put into my barley soup. I figure I might give it a try this winter.

CG: If you love barely in soups, I can get you recipe for Sluring, it is a lovely none lamb soup. It a broth made with barely, pork broth and potatoes, turnips and carrots if I remember correctly. I have it in the book over there, in Swedish. I will translate.

Back
Top Bottom