ISO different ways to prepare hotdogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been a favorite in my house for a long time.

Hot Dog Pie

2 (8 ounce) cans pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded cheese (provolone works best)
1 (10 ounce) package hot dogs, sliced
1 tablespoon grated parmeasan cheese
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  1. Unroll one of the crescent dough tubes and separate triangles.
  2. In a 9-inch pie plate, press pieces together to form a crust.
  3. In a mixing bowl, combine sliced hot dogs, 2 eggs, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.
  4. Pour into crust.
  5. Unroll the second crescent dough tube and cut into long strips.
  6. Crisscross strips to form a lattice top; flute edges.
  7. Bake uncovered, 30-45 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
  8. Cool 10 minutes.
This is very versitile. You can substitute any cooked meat--or tuna. You can add some veggies (broccoli, cooked carrots, chopped spinach) and you can use any cheese you like. Swiss works good with cooked chicken.

If you feed more than 4 people, you may want to make two...leftovers heat up quickly in the microwave.

Curly dogs!!! Take the dog, slice into it length wise but don't cut all the way through. Then slice into segments about 3/4" long, but don't cut all the way through, leave at least 1/8" meat. Drop in a deep fryer. they will open up and curl. When they are done they will fit nicely on a hamburger bun. Put your relish, onions etc in the middle and enjoy. We used to serve them this way at a little grill shop we ran.

My dad used to slice the weiners length-wise, insert cheese, and then wrapped them with partially cooked bacon held on with toothpicks. Then he would either bake them or grill them. Served with baked beans they were to die for! Not great for the cholesterol but they sure were good.

I don't think the method of preparation (boiled or fried) is as important as the variety of hot dog. To my taste the best commonly available frank (in my area) is the Boar's Head brand natural casing beef frank slowly fried. To wit, to my taste, there's no method of preparation that'll make an Ocscar Meyer delisch.

Hot dog goulash ( my grandmothers recipe)
about 8 hot dogs cut into 1 inch pieces
4 or 5 large potatoes cut into chunks
large union cut into strips
water
salt
paprika
basically boil until potatoes are done and create a thick sauce ( with chunks of potato still left to eat)
may sound kinda funky but it actually works

also, hot dogs cut up in pea soup, or cur up in chili

with hot onions
fry onions and garlic in oil
add a little kechup, vinegar, tobasco sauce, salt, pepper ...

the pie sounds really good... and easy... i like the idea of trying a goulash. Thanks guys...I'm looking for variety and I have lots of different ways to start experimenting with! Thanks all!

My dad used to slice the weiners length-wise, insert cheese, and then wrapped them with partially cooked bacon held on with toothpicks. Then he would either bake them or grill them. Served with baked beans they were to die for! Not great for the cholesterol but they sure were good.

Mom used to do the same thing! She would pan fry (low to med-low) the bacon just enough to half-cook it and render out most of the fat ... then wrap around a weiner that was split most of the way through and inserted with a bit of mild cheddar - wrapped with the bacon (held in place with toothpicks) and baked until done. Served with pork-n-beans heated out of the can, sauteed diced onions with a can of pork-n-beans and a big dollop of ketchup and a teaspoon of brown sugar, or baked beans.

Another one of those comfort foods from my childhood .....

Last edited:
You could...

Grill them (preferred)
Roast them (over hot flame)
Boil them (in a pot of water)
Spin them (rotesserie style)
Pan Fry them (aka sear)
Stir Fry them (in a wok)
Deep Fry them (any way you please)
Nuke Them (Microwave)

The Whistle Pig

One 1/4 pound hot dog
1 slice cheddar cheese, cut into 4 equal strips
2 slices of bacon, partially cooked

Make a slit into, but not through, the hot dog, starting and finishing approximatelky 1/4 inch from each end. Stuff the cheese strips into the slit in the hot dog. Wrap the partially cooked bacon strips around the hot dog, securing with a toothpick at each end and one in the middle. Grill or broil the hot dog on all sides until bacon is crip and cheese is melted. Serve on an extra special hot dog bun with condiments of choice.

TWo ways that I forgot are (and this is myfavorite, but can only be had with an open fire) skewere with a freshly cut willow or alder branch, and roast in a camp, or cook fire. Must include good freinds, children and good times. The second method is to cook ordinary pork and beens, or doctored baked beans in a sauce pan, with the hot dogs whole, and mixed in with the beans.

But yeah, I like all of the other suggestions a whole bunch too.

Most importantly, try several different brands of hot dogs. Each tastes different. You have to find the brand you like. For instance, I recently tried an "economy" brand called Cher-Brand, from one of our local supermarkets. It was a great taasting hot dog, in natural casing. I also like Volwurth's (expensive), and one of our local butcher's freshly made varieties. Hebrew National brand is good as well. In San Diego, I really like "Wrath Blackhawk" brand. I don't like Oscar Meyer, and Ball Park. There is a realy cheap brand whose name escapes me right now, but that is sold at Wal Mart that is bad as well. And yet, I have a nephew that will only eat Oscar Meyer.

The point is, every brand has a different taste and texture. You have to find the ones you like best.

Oh, and another favorite way to eat hot dogs for me is to eat a cold hot dog while sitting in a comfortable chair, watching something on the tube, and stripping the "skin" from a skinless hot dog with my teeth, and then munhcing the hot dog. I've been doing this odd thing since I was a young child. It's just a thing I do.:mrgreen:

Never said I was normal.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love hot dogs with left over spaghetti sauce on them instead of chili.
I make pigs in a blanket with little sizzler's and refrigerated flaky biscuits..splitting the biscuits in half then wrapping around

tdi, can you stand, yet another, hot dog idea?

This may sound like an odd combo, but I like a hot dog w mustard & a side of kasha varnishkas - or a potato knish with mustard.

Or a hot dog & pierogies on the side. I keep the frozen Mrs. T's on hand from time to time. There are lots of recipe ideas here, like this Perogie & kielbasa dish. You could use hot dogs in place of kielbasa. (Think sausage/peppers/onions sammich):

Mrs T's Pierogies Food Services
Click around the site. There are some pierogie & hot dog casserole ideas, i.e. sauerkraut, dogs & pierogies, etc.)

Coney Island Casserole
Hormel Recipes Site > Recipe Details

Click around the Hormel site. There use to be a silly chili dog recipe -- chili, onions, cheddar cheese, hot dog served on a hamburger bun. (Reminded me of a Tommy's burger.) Serve with potato wedges (or chili cheese fries) on the side.

Heres one thats different; put your hot dogs in a blender, add bake beans and blend. Then spread this on a rye bread. Sound weird, but good. You can use cocktail rye and serve at a party and no one will queses what it is.

Heres one thats different; put your hot dogs in a blender, add bake beans and blend. Then spread this on a rye bread. Sound weird, but good. You can use cocktail rye and serve at a party and no one will queses what it is.

Nor do I think I would want to tell them :LOL:

That's different alright. I wonder how it would be as a dip? I may have to find out one of these Sundays watching the games on TV.
Do you cook, blend and serve warm, or blend and then nuke? Not that it would have to be cooked....

Back
Top Bottom