ISO Favorite Lemon Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I've been invited to a bridal shower (for someone I don't even know but I have to go as it's a family obligation thing:rolleyes: ). We've been asked to make sure that everything we bring for the bride includes the theme of lemons--apparently the groom proposed as the couple overlooked lemon trees so the bridesmaids are going nuts with the lemon idea! I envision her getting a lot of lemon-scented candles and cleaning products!

I'm going to put together a cookbook of recipes that include lemon as an ingredient. I have several in my collection but would love to include any that you all have, too. I'm planning on doing the standard sections--apps, soups, salads,....--essentially the same as the forums we have here.

Thanks for your ideas!

PA, that's too funny! I was just looking for recipes for lemon curd. I'm getting ready to make soe & will post the results & recipe this afternoon. BTW, I think the cookbook is a great idea!!

LOL--talk about great minds! It's already on my list.:LOL: Crewsk, I have a good lemon curd recipe if you end up needing one. Be sure to post yours, too, though, if you're pleased with the results.

ya gotta include annamaria's limoncello (i'll see if i can find her post).

and i will post the veal scallopini in lemon butter sauce over wilted spinach, from rachael ray's 30 minute meals 2 cookbook, as soon as i find it. dw makes it often, and it's deelish.

another one of hers, dw's not rachael's :) , is lemon and mushroom chicken. again, i will have to look for the recipe.

A cookbook sounds like a great idea!

Lemon-Ricotta Hot Cakes

6 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
Powdered sugar for dusting

Whip egg whites until they hold firm glossy peaks, then set aside. Beat together ricotta, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla, then set aside.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and zest. With a rubber spatula, stir dry ingredients gently into the ricotta mixture. Stir a spoonful of whipped egg whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remainder.

On a lightly greased, heated griddle drop 3 tablespoons for each hotcake, allowing space for spreading. Cook until golden on the bottom and the top shows a bubble or two. Gently flip, and cook until undersides are light brown. Dust with powdered sugar.

Serve with fresh berries, if desired.

Source: cookingrvc on the Garden Web Cooking Forum

PA Baker said:
LOL--talk about great minds! It's already on my list.:LOL: Crewsk, I have a good lemon curd recipe if you end up needing one. Be sure to post yours, too, though, if you're pleased with the results.

Thanks PA! I had to put it on hold until this afternoon. I need another lemon.:rolleyes:

I gave a dear friend of mine a handwritten cookbook at her bridal shower as well.

Here's a neat pie:

Lemon Slice Pie

1 pkg pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1-1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp AP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs, well beaten
1/4 c. drinking water
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 large thin-skinned lemons, preferably peeled, sliced as thinly as possible, and seeded
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 egg lightly beaten with 2 Tbsp heavy (whipping) cream for glazing
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put first crust into 9" pie pan; Cut a sheet of parchment or foil about 2" larger than the diameter of the pie. Press it into the shell and fill it with rice. Bake until the rim of the crust feels just set to the touch, about 7-10 min. Remove from oven and cafefully lift the parchment/foil and rice from the crust. Prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust in several places with the tines of a fork. Return the shell to the oven. Check the crust several times during baking and prick it again with a fork if the crust puffs up. Cook until the crust is almost done but not completely browned, about 5-10 min. longer. Position strips of foil around the edge of crusts, if it begins to get too brown.

Change oven temp to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Beat in the butter and eggs. Stir in the water, lemon juice, and lemon slices. Pour into the pie shell.
Moisten edges of pie shell with beaten egg white and cover the pie with the top crust. Press edges on top and bottom crusts together and flute. ut air vent holes and brush the pastry with the egg glaze. Put foil strips again across edges to prevent too much browning.
Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 degrees and cook until the crust is golden brown, about 25 min longer. Cool to room temp. Dust with powdered sugar.

Here's one I posted a while back:

This recipe calls for frozen chicken broth cubes. Every time I have chicken stock leftover from boiling a chicken, I freeze it in icecube trays, and when they're frozen, I keep them in a ziploc freezer bag till needed.
You can also use chicken broth or a chicken bouillon/water mixture if you don't normally keep chicken stock on hand.
(As for amounts, well, I'd say measure out how much 12 ice cubes would hold)

Tangy Lemon Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 chicken broth frozen cubes
freshly squeezed lemon juice (to cover meat)
5 Tbsp flour
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp water
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
1/2 large onion, diced
1 lemon in 16 slices
1-1/2 Tbsp butter

Put chicken in med. bowl and add lemon juice and pepper. Refrig at least 2 hours. Take each chicken piece out and barely sprinkle each w/garlic powder and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place a foil sheet down (the individual pop-up sheets you'd use for a baked potato), put 2 lemon slices, meat, 2 slices of lemon. Close foil into a packet. Repeat 3 times. Place all 4 packets on baking sheet and bake 50 minutes. Increase heat to 375 for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour all lemon juice from marinade in saucepan and cook on low till boiling 2 minutes. Add broth cubes and boil again, stirring occasionally.
Place onions and butter in small bowl and microwave 2 minutes on high. Add lemon sauce. In small bowl, mix flour with water till smooth. Add to sauce, whicking 2 full minutes. Add pepper and garlic powder. Cook on low 2 minutes. Using imersion blender, process till smooth. Serve over chicken.

buckytom said:
ya gotta include annamaria's limoncello (i'll see if i can find her post).

and i will post the veal scallopini in lemon butter sauce over wilted spinach, from rachael ray's 30 minute meals 2 cookbook, as soon as i find it. dw makes it often, and it's deelish.

another one of hers, dw's not rachael's :) , is lemon and mushroom chicken. again, i will have to look for the recipe.

Already done, bucky--I searched the archives and found Annamaria's recipe! Your ideas sound great too--thanks!

Salmon baked in foil

I have cooked this several times. It is from Everyday Italian and it is the easiest recipe. On the food website it received top rankings.

4 (5oz.) salmon fillets
2 t. olive oil plus 2 T.
salt and pepper
3 tomatoes, chopped
2 chopped shallots
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried thyme

Preheat oven to 400

Sprinkle salmon with 2 t. olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir the tomatoes, shallots, 2 T. oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Place a salmon fillet, oiled side down, atop a sheet of foil. Wrap the ends of the foil to form a spiral shape. Spoon the tomato mixture over the salmon. Fold the sides of the foil over the fish and tomato mixture, covering completely; seal the packets closed. Place the foil packet on a heavy large baking sheet. Repeat until all of the salmon have been individually wrapped in foil and place on the baking sheet. Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Using a large metal spatula, transfer the foil packets to plates and serve.

Appetizers

Cucumber spread
2 cucumbers, unpeeled and grated
1 small onion, grated
1 8oz. cream cheese
2 T. salad dressing
1/2 t. seasones salt
1/4 t. lemon juice

Place cucumber and onion on paper towel and squeeze out moisture. Beat cream cheese until smooth and stir in vegetables, salad dressing, and salt. Add lemon juice. Serve spread with fresh vegetables and diced bread cubes. This one is very light

Tex Mex Dip
1st layer
2 cans Frito Lay bean dip (white label)
-once I couldn't find this so I used a jared black bean dip and it worked wonderfully

2nd layer
3 ripe avocados
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

3rd layer
1 8oz. sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning mix

Remaining layers
1 bunch green scallions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can black olives, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Longhorn Cheese, grated
Fritos or Doritos

Layer ingredients in order given. Serve

Christmas Cheese Ball

2 packages (8oz. each) cream cheese, softened
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 T. finely chopped onion
1 T. diced pimientos
1 T. diced green pepper
2 t. worcestershire sauce
1 t. lemon juice
Chopped pecans, toasted

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, pimientos, green pepper, worcestershire sauce and lemon juice; mix well.
Shape into 2 balls; roll in pecans. Cover and chill. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers.

Beverage

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9883&highlight=Bourbon+Slush

Ramos Gin Fiz

1 1/2 ounces dry gin (or slow gin)
2 drops orange flower water
2 egg whites
5 t. powdered sugar
1/2 t. lemon juice
2 ounces half and half
1 drop vanilla
1/2 cup coarsley chopped ice

Combine all ingredients in electric blender. Cover the blender and turn on high speed for 1 1/2 minutes. (Mixture should become quite thick and airy so blend some more if texture is too then). To serve, pour into a tall thin glass or a double sized old fashioned glass.

Salad

Junior's Restaurant Ceasear Salad

The restaurant hand mixes this recipe in a special wooden bowl, but is is great just blended together also.

1 clove garlic
2 pinches anchovey 1/2"
salt and pepper
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
touch mustard
6 serving spoons oil
1/2 t. lemon juice
1 raw egg
2 heads of ramaine lettuce
croutons

Grandma Mimi's frozen fruit cup salad

2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 8oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 banana, diced
1/8 t. salt
2 T. lemon juice
red food coloring
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 can large dard red cherries, drained

Mix together sour cream, sugar pineapple, banana, salt, and lemon juice. Add food coloring to tint to desired shade of pink. Fold in pecans and cherries. Pour in paper cup cake liners in muffin tins and freeze.

Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving time. Peel away cupcake liner and serve on lettuce leaf.

After frozen, individual cups may be removed from muffin tins and stored in plastic bag or other container.

Millionaire Salad

2 eggs
5 T. lemon juice
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 pound miniature marshmallow
5 T. sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
3 bananas
1 20oz. can crushed pineapple
1 14oz. bottle cherries
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Beat eggs slightly, add lemon juice, sugar, butter and marshmallows. Cook in double boiler stirring constantly until all marshmallows melt. Cool

Add pecans, bananas, pineapple, and cherries. Fold in whipped cream, pour into salad mold and chill 12-24 hours.

Grilled Lemon Chicken

2 1/2 to 3 pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T. vegetable oil
1 t. paprika
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lemon, thinly slices
paprika

. Place chicken in glass or plastic bowl. Mix remaining ingredients except 1 lemon and paprika; pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Remove chicken and lemon slices. Discard lemon slices; reserve marinade. Cover and grill chicken, bone sides down, 5-6 inches from medium coals 15-20 minutes; turn chicken. Cover and grill, turning and brushing 2 or 3 times with marinade, until chicken is done, 20-40 minutes longer. Brush with marinad only torwards begining of cooking.

Roll edges of remaining lemon slices in paprika; arrange aroung chicken. Garnish with celery leaves if desired.

Here are 2 more I posted some time ago.
These recipes are great, as you can definately taste the lemon!
Fizzy Jemima

1 part freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 part maple syrup
2 parts light rum
lemon flavored sparkling water

Mix w/ice in a shaker.
Pour sparkling water into your sugar-rimmed glass,
over ice till it's half full. Pour Jemima mix to fill.

Asparagus Chicken

1-1/2 lb fresh asparagus spears, halved
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1/2 c. mayo
4 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or more
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1 c. shredded cheddar or jack cheese

Partially cook asparagus; drain. Place the asparagus in a greased 9"square baking dish. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on both sides (use the tiniest amt. of oil for this). Season w/salt and pepper. Arrange chicken over asparagus. In a bowl, mix soup, mayo, lemon juice and mustard; pour over chicken. Cover and bake @ 375 for 40 min, or till juices run clear. Sprinkle w/cheese. Pop back into the oven to semi-melt cheese.

Lemon Rice Pilaf

2 1/2 t. freshly grated lemon peel
1 T. plus 1 t. fresh lemon juice
2 extra large egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 T. butter
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
3 cups low salt chicken broth
3 T. freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 T. minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste.

In a small bowl, combine lemon peel, lemon juice, egg yolks and heavy cream. Whisk until blended and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter and add rice. Stir and cook briefly, until rice turns opaque. Pour in chicken broth and sprinkle with salt. Heat to boiling and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Just before serving, fold lemon-cream sauce into rice. Stir in parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom