ISO good bulgar wheat salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea what is available in Cambodia! I use Near East brand taboule, but have bought the bulgar wheat and cooked it, many years ago, so I'm hoping someone will chime in with instructions. Refridgeratte for a few hours.

After the wheat is rehydrated and cold, I chop large amounts of parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions or chives. The amounts don't matter, just do it to taste. The cuisines of most Southeast Asian countries are heavy on herbs, so go wild with them. I toss them all with a tablespoon or two of good olive oil, but then I'm going for a Meditteranean flavor. A drop or two of toasted sesame oil and some seeds, and some cilantro would change the character entirely and be delicious.

I've made this recipe for Barley Salad with bulgar a number of times. I usually use this site as a guide for cooking bulgar when I buy it from the bulk bins; otherwise I just follow package directions.

looking for good recipe

Bulgar wheat salad

2 cups of fine bulgar ( bulgur )
Boiling hot water
3-4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tomato puree
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of chilli and cumin powder
1 bunch of spring onion, finely chopped
finely chopped lettuce and rocket
Good handful of chopped herbs ( parsley, dill )
2-3 green or red chillies, chopped finely ( optional )
Salt and pepper to taste.

Place bulgar in a deep bowl and pour enough hot water to cover it. Place a lid and let the bulgar swell up for 10-15 minutes. Bulgar now will be soft and no water should be left in the bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice. tomato paste, chilli, cumin powder and mix well. Mix in all the chopped greens, spring onions and herbs. Drizzle more olive oil if you need to. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom