ISO opinions on which new range to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're going to spend big money on an appliance you really should do the work to check ratings and reviews. There are several sources of information.

So true, Andy.

I'll never tell. Maybe... :whistling

That was what I was eluding to CG, in the past I had been told something similar at Sears..
As far as I know, Lowe's does not request a manufacturer to lessen their standards. Since I told our daughter her uncle's comments, she's been looking for that very thing. (She's worked for Lowe's for about a decade) I'm NOT implying that you are guaranteed better quality if you purchase at Lowe's. In fact, on house branded items it would not surprise me that they contract with the cheapest manufacturer. That's marketing. :glare: I can tell you our experiences. We've bought our stove (Maytag), dishwasher (Bosch), and washing machine (Bosch) from Lowe's, our refrigerator (LG) from Home Depot. We've had no problems (I hope I'm not jinxing myself...:ermm: ) with the range and washer, a minor one with the dishwasher. We've had a boatload of problems with the fridge.

FWIW, almost any big store will price-match their competitor's lower price. We saw the stove at Lowe's, saw a lower price at Best Buy. This was before every cellphone had a camera as a standard feature, so this sneaky chick slipped the price card out of the sleeve on the stove. When we showed the lower price to the saleswoman at Lowe's, she did not hesitate in giving us the lower price.

So true, Andy.

I'll never tell. Maybe... :whistling

As far as I know, Lowe's does not request a manufacturer to lessen their standards. Since I told our daughter her uncle's comments, she's been looking for that very thing. (She's worked for Lowe's for about a decade) I'm NOT implying that you are guaranteed better quality if you purchase at Lowe's. In fact, on house branded items it would not surprise me that they contract with the cheapest manufacturer. That's marketing. :glare: I can tell you our experiences. We've bought our stove (Maytag), dishwasher (Bosch), and washing machine (Bosch) from Lowe's, our refrigerator (LG) from Home Depot. We've had no problems (I hope I'm not jinxing myself...:ermm: ) with the range and washer, a minor one with the dishwasher. We've had a boatload of problems with the fridge.

FWIW, almost any big store will price-match their competitor's lower price. We saw the stove at Lowe's, saw a lower price at Best Buy. This was before every cellphone had a camera as a standard feature, so this sneaky chick slipped the price card out of the sleeve on the stove. When we showed the lower price to the saleswoman at Lowe's, she did not hesitate in giving us the lower price.

And yet, we furnished our house in the Bahamas with appliances all bought at Home Depot (range, refrigerator, dishwasher all GE, Amana microwave , and LG washer and dryer), shipped over from Florida by island freighter, then installed by the builder, not by any certified installer. They had to survive numerous power outages (a regular occurrence on the island), a lightning strike that blew out the TV and 2 mini-split AC's, and blew a couple of electrical outlets right out of the wall (and destroyed the 200 amp main power switch), two hurricanes, yet they were still working perfectly when we sold the house last year to move back to the States. We never had a problem with any of them, which is a good thing since there is no such thing as an appliance repairman on the island. You usually just find a friend of a friend by word of mouth, someone who has tinkered with things in the past and hope that he can figure it out.

I just got word from our former neighbors that the house survived 36 hours of 140 mph pummeling by Hurricane Joaquin (yes, that was the island we lived on - we just thank God that we moved when we did and missed having to sweat through a third hurricane), so I expect that the appliances will still be fine.

I'm thinking that you simply got a lemon for your fridge, nothing more. It happens no matter where you buy it.

Last edited:
Best to buy appliances from dealers your comfortable dealing with. Loyal Sears customers will only deal with Sears, whether Kenmore or other national brands they carry. Same thing with Lowes or HD....they've got their followers.
I'm not picky about who I buy from as long as the price is right. I've even purchased appliances from on-line only dealers.

So here we are in Northern Arizona and met with the agent at a different subdivision by the same builder, SOOOOOO much nicer and this gal is on it!

The gas range in slate is GE model # JGB650EEEFES
she says that the entire appliance package is GE Profile

The micro/hood is 1.7 cu, ft. Over-The-Range Sensor Microwave Oven
model #JVM6175EFES AND IT'S EXTERNALLY VENTED!!! She should me the vent too!

I didn't get the dishwasher model #, she got real busy and we felt like we had taken up enough her time for one day (we were there from 10 in the morning til 2 in the afternoon).

We're going back yet again (this will be our third visit) to speak with the broker to negotiate a deal. We've picked out the lot that we like and already spoken with 2 sets of future neighbors (who say that the water is loaded with heavy minerals, get a water softener! that's a whole nother topic for later).

We're very excited and will be going home to pound out the financial side of the equation, wish us luck?

That's great Kgirl! Now that you know the water quality is bad. you can address it.

I've learned to live without having a water softener, but I sure can't drink the stuff and artificially softened water tastes patooie too, making the water undrinkable either way.
As was mentioned, a reverse osmosis unit for under the sink will set you back a chunk of money, or you can opt for bottled water for drinking, cooking and ice like I do.

Last edited:
That's great Kgirl! Now that you know the water quality is bad. you can address it.

I've learned to live without having a water softener, but I sure can't drink the stuff and artificially softened water tastes patooie too, making the water undrinkable either way.
As was mentioned, a reverse osmosis unit for under the sink will set you back a chunk of money, or you can opt for bottled water for drinking, cooking and ice like I do.

Again, it will set you back under $500, and these days that's not that much. When you are having a home built, it would be pretty painless to have it pre-installed by the builder. The tiny added in cost would be lost in the rest of the mortgage.

Actually, after looking at the website for the company we bought ours from, the price for a specialized 6 stage mineral filtering RO system is just $320 from APEC. The standard 5 stage system like we had is just $280.

We were happy with the system and with APEC as a supplier. RO water costs as little as 2 cents a gallon, meaning that you can save back your investment rather quickly if you use very much bottled water.

Last edited:
Again, it will set you back under $500, and these days that's not that much. When you are having a home built, it would be pretty painless to have it pre-installed by the builder. The tiny added in cost would be lost in the rest of the mortgage.

Actually, after looking at the website for the company we bought ours from, the price for a specialized 6 stage mineral filtering RO system is just $320 from APEC. The standard 5 stage system like we had is just $280.

We were happy with the system and with APEC as a supplier. RO water costs as little as 2 cents a gallon, meaning that you can save back your investment rather quickly if you use very much bottled water.

Don't forget there's always an additional charge to have the RO also routed to the refrigerator for ice and/or water. It couldn't have been done in my previous 60 yr. old house with a slab floor, and a second story.

Last edited:
Don't forget there's always an additional charge to have the RO also routed to the refrigerator for ice and/or water. It couldn't have been done in my previous 60 yr. old house with a slab floor, and a second story.

Huh? They ran the line to our refrigerator just the same as if it have been from the cold water line under the sink like any other house I've ever been in. It's just a 1/4" line and it's always been run around the back of the cabinets in the three houses I've had it in. The RO system comes with a fridge hook up that comes off the line out of the storage tank (it may require a request for it when you order the system, I don't remember).

Last edited:
So yeah everyone, Mr.K and I have concluded that we will have "whole house RO system", but this an entirely different topic, I'll start a separate thread for this one...

I forgot our checkbook, so we sign the contract tomorrow and then the broker said she's trusting us to mail her the check for the down... How cool is that?

Our DF's are over the moon that we're going to be neighbors! We all went to have pizza at our favorite joint up here and Mr.DF told the pizzeria owner (who calls my husband "Philly" every time we walk in) that we're moving here and he said, "I knew it! I knew you'd move here, I told you that years ago!"
Did I say that everyone is very excited?

So yeah everyone, Mr.K and I have concluded that we will have "whole house RO system", but this an entirely different topic, I'll start a separate thread for this one...

I forgot our checkbook, so we sign the contract tomorrow and then the broker said she's trusting us to mail her the check for the down... How cool is that?

Our DF's are over the moon that we're going to be neighbors! We all went to have pizza at our favorite joint up here and Mr.DF told the pizzeria owner (who calls my husband "Philly" every time we walk in) that we're moving here and he said, "I knew it! I knew you'd move here, I told you that years ago!"
Did I say that everyone is very excited?

I'm so excited for you Kgirl!! It will be great to be where you want with neighbors of your choice. That alone makes a house a home. If you have arranged for a whole house RO system you have it nailed from the get go, and have sure done your homework!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom