ISO Pickled Green Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have heard that green tomatoes can be pickled and preserved that way. Alas, my tomatoes were planted too late, and though I have a lot of them, they probably won't have time to ripen. They aren't even turning yellow yet. Many are still dark green. I picked and ate one, just to catch the flavor profile. They are still better than the store purchased tomatoes, but without that rich tomato flavor. And so, I'm in need of a TnT recipe for pickled tomatoes. Can anyone hook me up?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

One year when we had an early frost, my mom pickled several quarts of whole green cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately she made up the recipe as she went and never remembered what all she used, so I've never been able to try making them myself. I would still like to try someday. Those were the best pickles I have ever had in my life. She did them with dill, not as sweet pickles, but that's all I remember!

:)Barbara

GW, mom and dad used to make gallons of pickles every year. They made a combination of green tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, etc. It was a big production. Dad, a chef brought home gallon glass jars from the kitchen and we used those.

White vinegar and water 50/50. Salt, pickling spices and garlic cloves. Stuff the jars with veggies, spices and garlic, add the hot water/vinegar mix and screw on the caps. Store in a cool dark place for 6 weeks. They had to be ready for Thanksgiving.

I tried to find the recipe I used but had no luck. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
I've got just what you are looking for G'weed. My younger brother gave me a recipe for them quite a few years ago and I wouldn't think of having tomatoes in the garden without making some of these ultra-delicious pickles. They're sooooo easy and you'll need to make lots.

I'm off to the market right now, but I'll post the recipe later.

P.S. I can eat a whole pint jar in one sitting they're so yummy.

Did I tempt you enough?:rolleyes:

I have heard that green tomatoes can be pickled and preserved that way. Alas, my tomatoes were planted too late, and though I have a lot of them, they probably won't have time to ripen. They aren't even turning yellow yet. Many are still dark green. I picked and ate one, just to catch the flavor profile. They are still better than the store purchased tomatoes, but without that rich tomato flavor. And so, I'm in need of a TnT recipe for pickled tomatoes. Can anyone hook me up?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GoodWeedster ;)
Two other ways to use green tomatoes.

1. Can like regular tomatoes except use wide mouth jars, slice tomatoes 1/4-1/2 inch thick and use for fried green tomatoes. Use lemon juice or citric acid and salt in water. Use tomatoes almost exactly the width of the jar so they fit nicely. A fried green tomato in mid winter is delightful.

2. lay out cardboard or newspaper in an area (garage) protected from frost. Pick the green tomatoes prior to the first frost to avoid damage. Lay them out one layer thick on newspapers/cardboard, cover with newspapers. They will ripen, use them when they are red (or intended color).

I pickled some red tomatoes the other day, but the recipe is the same.
Hm, I can never download picks without a problem. I just tried and something is not working.

Sorry. I didn't forget. Time just got away from me, but here is the recipe:

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

(Makes 3 qts. or 6 pints)​

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
3 lbs. green tomatoes (about 9 medium), cut into 1-in. wedges or whole
small
3 to 6 garlic cloves
3 to 6 small red chiles
2 to 3 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. coarse salt
4 cups cider vinegar
4 tsp. mustard seeds
2 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. celery seeds
2 tsp. whole allspice

In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper and tomatoes. Pack into jars.
Place a garlic clove and a red chili in each jar and set aside.

In a large pan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.

Pour mixture into jars - leave ½-inch of head space, seal jars. Process for 10 min. in water bath.

Let pickled tomatoes stand for at least 2 weeks so they have time to meld.

saw this recipe, looks great! can this be turned into a relish and the salt are you talking about kosher or canning/pickle salt. I have quarts to use!

I pickle green tomatoes every year. My recipe is of the simple cold pack type... so they only stay good for a few weeks... but they never last that long anyway...

1. 60/40 - water/white vinegar mix
2. appropriate amount of canning salt (taste it to judge)
3. sliced green tomato
4. fresh basil, pepper corns, fresh dill, dried bay leaves

Directions: mix spices with liquids, slice tomatoes, mix everything together in a bottle and refrigerate... wait two days

I never take exact measurements and i like to keep my recipes simple. These come out extremely crunchy since they are not cooked, and have a wonderful simple flavor that compliments sandwiches and deli trays very well.

I keep my gree or red pickled tomatoe in refrigerator, but they will stay there for almost a year. I make enough to last me till ammost the new ones come.

Okay I finally got some pictures, see if I can upload them.

Attachments

• DSC00204.JPG
    DSC00204.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC00205.JPG
    DSC00205.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC00206.JPG
    DSC00206.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC00278.JPG
    DSC00278.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00279.JPG
    DSC00279.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 227
I know there are some red tomatoes there, but those are the best anyway. The green ones less longer though.

Just pickled tomato again, a bit earlier than usual, but I came across a perfect batch/bushel of tomato at the farmers market, could not pass an opportunity.
Here is the perfect stage for tomato pickling, Not red yet, but already pass green.

Attachments

• IMG_0337[1].jpg
    IMG_0337[1].jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 246

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom