Iso tnt rum cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love rum cake!
I have a recipe from one of Paula Deen's Holiday magazines, but haven't made it yet- fortunately it's on a site too:
Paula Deen's Rum Pound Cake Recipe | Recipezaar

Hey, uncle bob - have you seen that episode on food network (probably "unwrapped") that has those Kentucky bourbon cakes?

I have tasted those cakes, and they ARE DEEEEEElicious! :D

and every year at the Fancy Food Show, we always make it a point to go by the booth that has the rum cakes from Jamaica.:):):)

Festive sweet potato cake

Uncle Bob, this cake doesn't have rum in it, but it sure is tasty. AND I'll bet you could sub some dark rum for the Southern Comfort....... :angel:

FESTIVE SWEET POTATO CAKE

A moist, spicy and fruity cake with a subtle sweetness imparted by the liqueur. Although the cake is excellent topped only with confectioner's sugar, it's absolutely outrageous when frosted!

BOWL 1

3 cups unbleached flour
2 cups cane sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon. ground mace
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

BOWL 2

3 ounces chopped dried apricots
3 ounces golden raisiins
about 3 ounces Southern Comfort
2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs

1. 24 hours beforehand, put the chopped dried apricots and raisins in a 1-cup glass measure. Fill up the cup to the 8-oz line with Southern Comfort. Cover with plastic wrap and let set at room temperature for 24 hours.

2. The next day, heat oven to 325 degrees F. and oil and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.

3. Mix dry ingredients together.

4. Mix ingredients in bowl #2. Stir contents of bowl #1 into bowl #2.

5. Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake in heated 325 degrees F. oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.

6. Cool entirely in pan (with pan sitting upright on a cooling rack.)

7. When cooled, remove from pan and put on platter. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons Southern Comfort over top of cake. (Go around in a circle.)

8. Cover and allow to mellow for a few hours.

9. When ready to serve, the cake may be served plain, or dusted with confectioner's sugar. But if you want to gild the lily (and why not?) frost with the following frosting:

9a. In a glass 1 cup measure, put 1/2 cup raw clover honey. Warm it in a microwave oven for 20 seconds on "defrost" power.

9b. Cream together: 8 oz softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/2 stick unsalted butter with a hand held electric mixer.

9c. When the cream cheese and butter are thoroughly mixed, keep the motor running and pour in just enough of the warmed honey to make a spreadable frosting. You will use from 1/4 to 1/2 cup of honey.

Spread over the top and sides of the cake.

Bob, this is my friend Sara's cake...she died way too soon, but she had a whole lotta fun while she was here!

Sara Wilkinson’s Bacardi Rum Cake

1 cup nuts; chopped
1 yellow cake mix; with pudding
1/3 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup dark rum; 80 proof
glaze
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 lb Butter
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup rum; 80 proof

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10" tube or 12 cup bundt pan. Mix all cake ingredients together. Sprinkle nuts in bottom of pan and pour batter over the nuts. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Invert on serving pan. Prick top, and spoon and brush glaze evenly over sides and top. Allow cake to absorb glaze till used up. GLAZE: melt 1/4 lb. butter in sauce pan. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Boil 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup dark 80 proof rum.

This is a drink and cook recipe...drink some, pour some in, drink some more.

Thanks for the ideas...They all sound good! I have a bottle of dark Jamiacan Rum that I can't seem to drink 'neat', and fruity mixed drinks have no appeal to me so,...I have a recipe for a Pina Colada Cake, and that got me to thinking about a dark, rich, sinfully rich Rum Cake!!!!

jkath said:
Hey, uncle bob - have you seen that episode on food network (probably "unwrapped") that has those Kentucky bourbon cakes?

No, I missed it....probably a good thing!!:LOL:

ChefJune said:
and every year at the Fancy Food Show, we always make it a point to go by the booth that has the rum cakes from Jamaica.:):):)

Next time..."lift' a recipe!!!:ermm:

Constance said:
This is a drink and cook recipe...drink some, pour some in, drink some more.

Sounds like a win win situation!!.....:rolleyes:

Miss Sara Wilkinson's Cake will go on the list of "Things to Do"!! Thanks for sharing it Miss Connie!

ChefJune ~ Your "Sweet Potato Cake" sounds fabulous!! I am definitely making this for Thanksgiving with a little Southern Comfort flavored whipped cream on the side!! (Gag -- I can't believe that I'm already thinking about Thanksgiving and it is only July!!!)

Back
Top Bottom