i've made grounded chicken thighs "schnitzel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
it came out really good.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-10-31 13-54-11.png
    Screenshot from 2022-10-31 13-54-11.png
    951.6 KB · Views: 6
slightly confused . . . "grounded chicken" or "ground chicken" aka "minced" in UK English terms....
would likely not keep the shape you posted.

I "pound chicken thin" or "slice chicken thin" so that given the thickness it cooks through before the outer thickness is overcooked to tough/stringy.....
"pound" in my kitchen is using a weighed 'something' to hit/flatten/thin the chicken cut....

in USA chicken breasts have become so thick, they have to me pounded or sliced thinner to avoid the 'inside okay, outside overcooked' syndrome.

the "schnitzel" technique is essentially the same - reduce reduce the thickness so when 'cooked thru' it - veal/beef/chicken....- is tender all the way through.

@dcSaute, what would you call a fried, breaded meat patty, in English? I can't think of a word in English. I know word for it in Danish.

in English, "patty" - the difference being the meat has been ground.
lamb patty, beef patty, chicken patty, pork patty . . . .

German frikadellen or fleischpflanzln are similar, but in some regions it's more of a meatball than patty shape. as in Denmark as I recall....

schnitzel to me implies a thin prep of the meat. Wiener-Schnitzel is "famous," using veal - but the technique can be used on other meats as well.

this is a pork tenderloin in schnitzel fashion
DSC_1033.JPG

In the Middle East, it's common to season ground meat with spices and fresh and/or dried herbs, usually beef or lamb, then form them into balls or patties or on skewers, then bake, grill or pan-fry. Breading before cooking is just adding a delicious step to something they already do.

Here's an example: Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
kofta-panee.jpg

German frikadellen or fleischpflanzln are similar, but in some regions it's more of a meatball than patty shape. as in Denmark as I recall....

schnitzel to me implies a thin prep of the meat. Wiener-Schnitzel is "famous," using veal - but the technique can be used on other meats as well.

View attachment 62325
very interesting. what's at the side of the schnitzel?

israelis love patties but usually patties are very small and flat and consisted of vegetables along with egg and not always beef or chicken......

the reason not all people make them is that it is messy to make and there are not always a relible recipe for the quantities and the ingredients one better use.

in north afrika they used to make עיג'ה and in iraq there is ערוק..

It looks like spätzle - German wheat noodles - which are often served with schnitzel. I especially like them served with a gravy.
yummy
i'm not sure if i ever tried to make traditional gravy.....
i made some simple variations but not the real thing i guess..

Gravy is a sauce made from the juices of meats that come out during cooking. Often thickened with flour of some sort or perhaps a corn starch.
LOL... really "traditional" gravy applies only to who ever is making it. Changes from region to region and different meats.

View attachment 62325
I very specifically asked about breaded meat, not any old patty of meat. A Danish frikadelle is not what I was talking about. They are not breaded. However a hamburger shaped pork patty that is breaded and fried is called a "karbonade" or a "krebinet" in Danish.

I wouldn't call a breaded patty a schnitzel either. A schnitzel is made using a cutlet that is breaded. But, I understood what S-T-B meant, even though it wasn't a correct use of the term. I just couldn't think of a better word in English. I suppose the correct term would be "breaded meat patty".

semantics.

a patty is a patty - fried, broiled, breaded, dredged - those are all modifiers to the basic patty description.

Gravy is a sauce made from the juices of meats that come out during cooking. Often thickened with flour of some sort or perhaps a corn starch.
LOL... really "traditional" gravy applies only to who ever is making it. Changes from region to region and different meats.
that.
never go ask an Italian grandmother about how she makes her gravy.....

why is it so many people on cooking forums cannot accept that the same thing has different names (forget about "translations") . . . .

that.
never go ask an Italian grandmother about how she makes her gravy.....

why is it so many people on cooking forums cannot accept that the same thing has different names (forget about "translations") . . . .
You mean Italian-American grandmother. Italians do not call any kind of tomato sauce gravy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom