Kid friendly recipes to share??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
Any TNT kid favorite recipes to share? Esp. quick and nutritious for a working mom to make (I just got a teaching job, I start Monday! Yay!!):D:clap:

I'm chock full of stuff I THINK they would like, bu tonly 1 of them at a time ever does!!!

As long as you realize "good nutrition" is not a daily thing - look at it on a weekly basis - more or less. Daily just will not happen!!!! One day it might be nothing but tortellini with a bit of olive oil and butter and another day it might be nothing but fruit or vegetables, another day it might be eggs, another day it might be bread.

So, tortellini with a bit of olive oil was a favorite of my son's for breakfast. Eggs were a favorite for supper. He might just eat a banana with some peanut butter crackers for lunch. Or he might eat banana and peanut butter crackers 3 times in one day.

I really can't remember how old your little one is. How old is he/she???

Every meal was definitely not balanced; the week was perfect....more or less!!!

I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".

I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".__________________

How cute! :)

My DD is 1 and 1/2.....going on 16 :rolleyes:
Sound like she eats just as you said eggs one day with pasta for dinner, shes on a big hot dog kick right now but shes usually eats plenty of fruit each day,items such as fruit cereal bars from Trader Joes or apple sauce cups or lite and fit yougurt.....its just those pesky veggies that she is so stubborn with, she again had veggie soup tonight like always. I was just hoping to start broadening her horizons....guess its too soon huh?:ermm:

I think its more my problem, I feel in a cooking rut with what I give her because she is being so picky! But I guess she is getting a pretty healthy diet so I should just relax I guess...welcome me to parenthood...worry worry worry:wacko:

I still would love some new ideas if anyone has some recipe ideas. Thanks

I also noticed that when we got home from the grocery store, and I had everything out of the bags and on the table, he would pick those things he "needed".

Mine just run off with the cereal... :ermm:

I always tried to keep some stuf in the freezer that was fast but good quality. Fish fingers, chicken kievs, chicken nuggets. With all of these look for proper ones (NOT made from reformed meat). Sausages and mash is a perinnial favourite. Of course there is always pizza. Spagetti bolognese and lasagna are good too - you can hide veges in these.

To be quite honest if she is having a lot of fruit, I don't think not eating vegetables is a problem.

veggies in soup are eaten so how about in a chicken or beef stew or pot pie? Or something like Welsh Rarebit with veggie over toast or a baked potato? (Brocoli always tasted best with potato and cheese!)

The important thing is to not establish or to break the idea that if what is served is not liked, there is always cereal or bp&j etc. As a kid, if I'm anticipating "dinner" ...think last night hot dogs and mac and cheese...and you serve fish and chips and raw veg to munch which I may very well like a lot, but because my mind was on last night's meal, tonight's has no appeal to me...you get the idea.

Rather than set up the "what would you like for dinner?" issue, change to the "we are having ... for dinner." And include the child in the prep, even if that only means sitting and watching and talking.

I love the "we are having" as opposed to "what would you like"
My daughter in law starts every food conversation with would you like .... She ends up getting no every time and goes through a lot of choices. So, she's a short order cook all the time and her 2 kids are very picky. Makes me the grandma nuts. I don't do it when I have them.

also, they eat any time they want so they are never really hungry - after breakfast the little one asks for a "snack"

my friend feeds her 2 (1 1/2 & 6) morningstar & boca.
also leaves goldfish crackers, chex, cheerios, eggs, & cannedveggies out fer them to snack on. they usually eat that stuff & more fer din din.

How bout hobo dinners/tin foil dinners.

Take a large piece of tin foil
1 hamburger patty
sliced onion
sliced carots
sliced potatoes
peas
salt and pepper
butter
lay down a thin layer of onion and potato on the foil. Place the patty on top of the onion and tatos. place carots and peas ontop of patty with salt and pepper along with butter. seal up foil tightly and place in fire pit. Times will vary because a open fire pit will have different temps based on wood. or you can place them in hot charcoal or the oven for 30 minutes at 400* if cooked on fire, be careful when checking doneness. if not cooked all the way, reseal and place back in fire

EDIT

also try other seasonings as well. Post your results

Dee,
I have no idea how I missed this thread dear. I have tons of Disney recipes that kids love! I will begin to type them for you and PM them. Your little one will love them just as much as my kids do.

Pizza, it`s pretty easy and allows for creativity at almost all stages, from shaping/handling the dough to what and where you put on the top.
I make mini pizzas with my daughter all the time and she`s only 3.

oh before you go to any trouble they aren't the same as these are they??
http://family.go.com/food/pkg-dinner-recipes/pkg-casseroles/

found this site like a week ago....great recipes with or without kids!

But if you have any others I would love them! Thank you so much!
No Dee. These are not the same. The ones I have are authentic recipes that are served at Disney World. Some are: Cinderella's Pumpkin waffles, Goofy's Smart-Start Oatmeal, Teasure Muffins, Rafiki's Fruit Kabobs, 101 Dalmation Puppy Chow (sort of like Monkey Munch), Jimmy Cricket's Sandwich, Kanga's Marvelous Melon Shakers, Pluto's Bar B Que Beans and Dogs, Elephant Stew, etc. There are all sorts of rice recipes, sandwiches, corndogs and lots of yummy stuff the kids love. Let me know if you're interested.

Chicken In a Sleeping Bag always makes me smile:

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/showrecipe.aspx?rid=13902

You could use fish sticks or cocktail hot dogs in place of the chicken.

I always liked fish sticks & mac & cheese, tuna melts or grilled cheese & tomato soup.

How about:

Turkey meatballs & spaghetti

Mini meatball calzones (w crescent roll dough)

Tortelini kebabs - tortelini, salami (cut in small chunks), halved cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, csmall chunks of cheese. Place on skewers & drizzle with zesty Italian dressing.

Fish Tacos

One dish meals you could make ahead:

Baked ziti (w ground beef, chicken or turkey), sneak in some chopped green peppers or spinach & mushrooms

Ravioli lasagna

Enchiladas

Stuffed shells or Manicotti - sneak in veggies like spinach or broccoli

Here's a tasty-looking Mini Manicotti recipe:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/poultry/mini-manicotti/

Tuna burgers/patties - combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, lemon pepper seasoning, form into patties, sprinkle with flour & fry. Serve on whole wheat buns w lettuce & tomatoes.

Tacos - ground turkey, chicken or beef

Pinwheel sandwiches or tortilla wraps w chicken or turkey breast, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado

Cream cheese on walnut raisin bread & fruit salad

Tuna Dogs:
Prepare your fave tuna (or chicken) salad & place in hot dog buns. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar etc. Put under the broiler till cheese melts.

Homemade Hot Pockets - you could use crescent roll dough & fill with shredded chicken/bbq sauce/cheddar, ham & cheese, chicken, brocolli & cheese - or make pizza pockets.

Keep lots of fruit on hand for snacks - apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, etc.
Raisins
Fruit salad
Frozen yogurt pops
Pudding cups

wow so many great ideas thank you so much Amy!

And Dina those sound wonderful, is there a websight that has those or are they only in a cookbook? I would hate for you to have to type too much out. Maybe if you want to post one or two every now and then that would be wonderful thank you!

Some of my son's favorites include...babaganoush, hummus, edamame, egg salad, (fresh baked not canned) tuna or wahoo salad, cheese, match stick carrots, guacamole, mango, raspberries, bananas, apples, quasadillas, chicken, toasted pine nuts, tortellini, spanakopita, scrambled eggs, all soups. I use a tray with separate compartments & put something different in each one. He feels like he has so many things to choose from.

well sounds like you don't have a picky eater in your house! Lucky you! :)
I've tried to avoid using the trays with different compartments too much to serve my DD's food since I have actually met a handful of people with phobias or very strong dislikes of allowing their food to touch AT ALL! I thought it was so strange the first time someone told me that if anything she is eating touches something else on her plate she will NOT eat it! I thought maybe she was a strange cookie but then I kept hearing others say the same thing....:ermm::ermm: So I just wanted to try and avoid the same strange phobia starting in my DD....it most likely would not but just to be on the safe side!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom