Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS Aren't those woks great! I got a CI wok years ago, when I was watching that tv show Éntree To Asia, and I noticed that most of the SE Asian dishes made in small restaurants or people's homes, were made in CI or stoneware woks - none of that intense heat needed, as a rule, and the thicker woks were better for these, so I had to get one! It is the best pan for a Thai curry, as the coconut milk can cook down in that little puddle, and the paste can be fried in it, but then every thing can be added, to eventually be a large amount - pans large enough to hold this have bottoms too broad for the starting out.

It's funny, because one of the first things I have heard, when many people have seen my kitchen for the first time, is "What do you do with 5 woks?"
I absolutely love it and wish I had bitten the bullet years ago. I do have two other woks in storage, so I guess I have four woks, two in service.

Weber has a porcelain enameled cast iron wok as part of their Gourmet BBQ System. It gets really hot over a bed of charcoal. I don't use mine as much as I should. It is great for a summer vegetable stir fry.

The wok actually sits in a round hole in the Gourmet BBQ System grate, so it is really close to the hot coals.

CD

Attachments

• WeberWok.jpg
    WeberWok.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
That looks great, CD! I have one of those Big Kahuna burners, with 65k output, and there is nothing like cooking on that! The food doesn't even stick to this little, maybe 6" area in the bottom, where it's hottest, and where the oil just vaporizes, giving that "wok hei". Makes those 20k burners on my range seem cold!

Last edited:
Outdoor Kitchen Candy

I installed a probe port on my charcoal Weber to run the thermometer probes into the kettle so I don't have to run them under the lid or through the vent. The port has a nut that can compress a sleeve a bit to reduce the air gap around the wires.

Probe Port.JPG

I also purchased a Thermoworks Smoke dual probe thermometer, which is a huge improvement over the old Oregon Scientific thermometer. The remote is small enough to hang on a lanyard so I can roam around the house and monitor the grill temps. The high / low alarms are simple to set.

There is a rack of ribs on as I write this. The Slow N Sear makes it easy to hold 230 - 235 in the kettle for hours.

Looks like you did a nice job! For my Weber Smokey Mountain, I just cut a small slot in the lid. Would this have been an option for you?

https://virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html
I saw that as an option, but decided to install the port. My thinking was that I might pinch the wires if I wasn't careful. I also considered just drilling a small hole in the side of a kettle, but you know, food just tastes better if it looks like it was cooked on a quality piece of cookware. :chef:

Wow, fauncy new oven! [emoji16]

Look at all those beans! You'll need to keep a journal of your tasting notes :mrgreen:

Yup, that's 7½ lbs of beans. 8 lbs more shipping with the new roaster. You're right about the journal. Home-roasters are an obsessive bunch; many a forum thread devoted to that very thing.

Still having fun roasting those beans, sl?

Got the new range yesterday. Eh, it's a stove. Haven't used the oven yet (just doing the initial burn off the new smell process now) but she boils water just fine, so it's all good.

IMG_20190904_133909920.jpg

Two oven racks, no convection. Basic. Just a replacement for the old (12 years) stove before it. The surface of the touch panel was starting to crack. The only impact at the time was using the Timer. However, there were smaller cracks by the up/down buttons, which would impact temperature control in the future. My ideal stove will be gas, but no gas in our neighborhood and I don't want to bother with propane. Hence, electric.

At least we now have all appliances matching in color. So it will look nice whenif we sell. We're originally from OH, both of our kids still live back there. I'm trying to get us moved back home after having to relocate to MA because of Himself's job transfer. The only thing Himself is trying to do is try my patience! :LOL: I'm laughing now, but just wait if I'm still in this position in a year...

Two oven racks, no convection.

Uggh, that's what I have. I wish I had three racks which is handy when making pinwheel cookies. My stove is electric even though we have gas. Probably because the house originally had oil before switching to gas in the early 70s.

I don't have any plans to replace the stove until we do a kitchen remodel. Hopefully we get to enjoy the remodel and not be doing it 1-2 years before the house is on the market. Right now, we're focused on getting the kids through college.

I think I would get electric wall ovens with gas & induction cooktops. I have also thought about getting something unique like a Lacanche range.

I did get myself a new item for my "kitchen" yesterday. Weber 7515 Catch Pan and Holder for my grill. Last week while cooking, the old one fell off the grill thereby splattering some grease on the deck.

...I think I would get electric wall ovens with gas & induction cooktops....
This^ is what I would like. I keep saying that I want us to build one more house (this one is #3 of three). If we do build again, it won't be from stock plans. I have ideas and I'd like to run them past the builder we used for House 2. That is if he hasn't aged out of full builds and has moved on to just doing remodels.

Nice legs CG :angel:-...
Mine? Or the chair's? :LOL: Thanks, dragn. I noticed the reflection when I previewed my shot, but figured "who'll notice?" I guess I got my answer. :-p

Still having fun roasting those beans, sl?
Got the new range yesterday. Eh, it's a stove. Haven't used the oven yet (just doing the initial burn off the new smell process now) but she boils water just fine, so it's all good.
Nice stove CG. Haven't had one in over 10 years now. But I'm not jealous. But I'm not very jealous. ;)
As for the Coffee beans:
Yeah, thanks for asking. Will roast some Brazilian beans this afternoon. Starting to get my arms around it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom