Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh that's exciting, I bet that you'll be glad that it's over! This time last year, my kitchen was completely gutted and my first floor was like a war zone, I was so excited when it was finished!

This was the setup when we bought the place, I eventually put up an over the range microwave, notice how the fridge just sticks out into the room in the most inconvenient way.

Our old fridge stuff out too far so we went counter depth and the new one still pokes out. I can push it back about 2 more inches be the door hits the molding on the pantry door if I do. It does not sit out in the walk way though so that is nice.

Bakechef, how come your exterior wall is so thick?
That was my thought too.
It's possible that it juts out from the wall, like this.
25bac8f17dea03607162634ddb6afc81.jpeg

Bakechef, how come your exterior wall is so thick?

That window actually bumps out a bit on the front of the townhouse, so the wall isn't quite that thick. If it were, I could probably fend off cannon balls!

X3Us7DQLzAAmznFvkIMRoTZ6x8cnncN4BLeSD5inOz34bT1cyHthl2_aMpK7qh079kk4nTqHVX7DJwvVa-Uncoxk9mj-13d6u7_QJVmY_3K8duhGwACos7mgp_H_SKXLxWuoZoBJ-vI=w2400

Mine is the one all the way to the right, you can see it's a weird design element

Last edited:
I don't think that look like a bay window. Look closer at the doorway. There are some extra studs there.

I'm not sure what you mean, but bakechef confirmed that it bumps out from the wall.

If you look at the second picture in this post, you can see that the window looks flat, not like a bay window. In the more recent photo that BC posted, you can see from the outside, that it isn't a bay window, unless you have a different definition for bay window than I do. The house to the left of his has what I call a bay window.

Last edited:
Now I might as well show you the rest of the kitchen!

bgcBKIRDjIzIoQ5NzzsNGC4OZbuFyOStNHOk7HNMRtHgufEhTDGXOmm441LCktiN-a5t01-whVfZrwwwJvG3ZeGLmb4DzNVZqpmRusIrsnzBLQdzC9y9Bsv8i_uQq8atGcdBfWLJWbs=w2400

This used to be a coat closet, I used it as a pantry before, but my contractor bumped out the left side a bit to give me deeper shelves. She also wanted to get rid of the wire shelving in there! Each shelf is lined with plexiglass. She shows up one morning saying "I got this plexi for 50% off because of a couple imperfections! She had dragged her son along (he did a lot of the remodel) to fit it, she said, I could have waited until monday but, I figured that you wanted to fill up the pantry. She was awesome!

uGAX3gg9yS4YzPmtmZScU-zdHcqBahKHDzf42nM6Td8yDk3Ci6dzZHiNMDCzyQp9YEKaZ-T238n18z-DPPN40O-jTaCfsoRkffCcXqLt3NOM222CVcvTgFRWracF5ChDh8Be8T8XMLc=w2400

That window actually bumps out a bit on the front of the townhouse, so the wall isn't quite that thick. If it were, I could probably fend off cannon balls!

X3Us7DQLzAAmznFvkIMRoTZ6x8cnncN4BLeSD5inOz34bT1cyHthl2_aMpK7qh079kk4nTqHVX7DJwvVa-Uncoxk9mj-13d6u7_QJVmY_3K8duhGwACos7mgp_H_SKXLxWuoZoBJ-vI=w2400

Mine is the one all the way to the right, you can see it's a weird design element

Oh, it's like a bay window.

Last edited:

I thought it was because vents and pipes ran through it! A bay window would cause it too. :)

Also, I love your storage closet. Your kitchen entire kitchen is beautiful!

Do people consider both of these to be bay windows? I only think #1 is a bay window.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 85
GG, I stand corrected. It is a 'bumped out' window.

taxy, I agree, the one on the left is a bay window.

bakechef, congrats! gorgeous kitchen, very workable. Yes, love that pantry.

GG, I stand corrected. It is a 'bumped out' window.

taxy, I agree, the one on the left is a bay window.

bakechef, congrats! gorgeous kitchen, very workable. Yes, love that pantry.
Agreed. I didn't say it was a bay window. I thought it wasn't a thick wall but a bumpout.

Thanks all!

Where the corner island is was once a wall, this is all new usable space, I was so excited to get it! I also love being able to interact with the dining and living areas instead of being penned in!

My Samsung dishwasher was on its last legs with leaks and a constant need to restart the machine two or three times to get it going.

Ended up with a new Bosch.

40219761-954D-469F-BAD5-838B2623817B_1_105_c.jpg

CG, we use a local guy who does appliance repair and installations. Really nice guy and reasonable. We had talked about brands of DWs a while back and he strongly recommended Bosch. When it came time to shop, I did my research and saw his recommendation was spot on. Bosch is regularly top rated.

The really hard part was finding one. This is a low end model in black. The pricey ones in stainless are more readily available.

This one replaced a Samsung which was 9 years old.

CG, we use a local guy who does appliance repair and installations. Really nice guy and reasonable. We had talked about brands of DWs a while back and he strongly recommended Bosch. When it came time to shop, I did my research and saw his recommendation was spot on. Bosch is regularly top rated.

The really hard part was finding one. This is a low end model in black. The pricey ones in stainless are more readily available.

This one replaced a Samsung which was 9 years old.

I've had my Bosch for a few years and it's been the best that I've used. My installer pretty much echoed what your local appliance repair guy said.

This thing cleans REALLY well. I don't rinse, just scrape and everything comes out very clean. I use Finish tabs, or Cascade. I also use Jet Dry since a lot of newer models aren't great at drying. Also I use the sanitize setting which also helps dry.

I've had my Bosch for a few years and it's been the best that I've used. My installer pretty much echoed what your local appliance repair guy said.

This thing cleans REALLY well. I don't rinse, just scrape and everything comes out very clean. I use Finish tabs, or Cascade. I also use Jet Dry since a lot of newer models aren't great at drying. Also I use the sanitize setting which also helps dry.

My installer said he only ever use the Speed60 setting. Th entire cycle is an hour long. I tried that on the first load and it worked! My struggle will be to stop rinsing off dishes.

Back
Top Bottom