KitchenAid Q, Overloading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wart

Washing Up
I have the Pro 5 Plus lift bowl, 450 watt stand mixer.

Once a week (or so) I make 4~5 batches of bread, a batch consisting of ~32 ounces of flour (7~8 cups?) and 20 ounces of water.

This last go around the gears started making noise. When I first got the mixer in November there was a roughness in the gears which went away during the first batch. Now after 30? 50? batches the noise has come back but now the noise is much worse. Or at least it was when the motor was warm.

Also, the bowl flexes quite a bit. Is this normal? I can see stress fractures in the bowls ears future.

I do not knead above 2, sometimes because of the bowl flex I knead on 1. A couple of times I have inadvertently switched the mixer to 3 or 4 but IMMEDIATELY shut it down.

Also this last go around I thought I smelt a burnt brush odor. That could have been from a low voltage situation at the outlet as the place I was using the mixer isn't known for it's high amp wiring. I'm putting a meter on the outlet next time to monitor the voltage. But this wouldn't enplane the gear noise.

Am I overloading this mixer or asking too much of it? I don't think so, but I know enough to know I don't know. KitchenAid is sending me a new mixer (under warranty), I would hate to have this situation reoccur. But I would hate it more if I could make only 1/2 batch of bread at a time.

Flexing bowl, gear noise, gear lash, stinky motor, If I had paid retail I would be irked.

It may be too much of a load for the motor. Especially if you're using bread flour. Try it with half the quantities and judge the reaction.

It may be too much of a load for the motor. Especially if you're using bread flour. Try it with half the quantities and judge the reaction.

I'm using AP unbleached.

A half batch (1 normal loaf) looks so lonely in the bowl. That's the best way I can describe it, for a single loaf it's not worth pulling out the machine. A 'batch' looks and seems to work (knead) just about right.

Your point is well taken. Reality stinks. If 2 loaves is too much it's too much. Since I cook by 'weight' it wouldn't be difficult to back it down by 1/4 or 1/3.

Last edited:
I was suggesting the half batch only as a test of the motor's performance. If it makes no difference in the noises and smells, your problem goes beyond the amount of stuff in the bowl. If the half batch results in a smoother running and quieter machine, try the 1/3 less quantity.

You could probably do two one loaf batches consecutively in the machine in about the same time as doing one loaf by hand.

If the half batch results in a smoother running and quieter machine, try the 1/3 less quantity.

You were writing while I was editing.

This remote thought projection thing has got to stop.

You could probably do two one loaf batches consecutively in the machine in about the same time as doing one loaf by hand.

Maybe my method has a bit to do with it too.

I make a sponge per batch so I'll have 3~5 sponges sitting there. I'll go through 3 sponges as: First sponge in mixer, add flour, knead, remove for autolyse. Second sponge, flour, knead, remove .... Third sponge .... then first batch in for second kneading, second batch .... when I'm done with the first three I start the last two.

The noise and smell started around the second knead on the second batch. Mayhaps I should go to hand finishing. I was thinking of doing that anyhow. I like the feel of dough.

Basically the machine is kneading bread for a half hour or longer straight. That would explain the motor, not the gear noise. Unless the housing is expanding so much to cause that much additional gear lash.

The manual states the motor is thermally protected and for some things it is not uncommon for the motor to get hot, too hot to touch. This didn't get THAT hot, or maybe my nerve deadness is worse than I thought. Thermal protection didn't pop, but taking a machine where it self shuts down is not good.

Last edited:
Workhorse

I would not go easy on that mixer. We have the KA Heavy Duty but we're not kneading dough. Even if we were, that machine should hold up.;)

KA will probably replace it again if it fails again - let them worry about their product. I bet they don't want any negative press out there. :rolleyes:

I did a quick search on this topic and I found similar complaints for some of the high end KA mixers, even the 600 series. I am quite surprised by them. Smilar reviews can be found on Amazon.

Wart,

That mixer has a one year warranty. My recommendation is to make sure you register the machine and use it regularly, contact Kitchen Aid if the concern persists.

It is a mixer, and is designed to knead bread among other functions. I am sure KA will replace the machine under warranty if there is a problem, I suggest to contact them to have a record of your issue just in case.

You might also check the KA manual or website to determine the capacity of the mixer.

There was a similar disussion in an earlier thread (you can try to find that as well) where there was info from KA that there was an "x" cup flour capacity based on using AP flour. That capacity would be even less for bread flour.

My DH's uncle makes bread constantly with his, he has burned thru 2-3 of them, but KA has always replaced them free of charge.

I always finish kneading by hand with mine. I just cant tell if its right by sight and poking it.

Maybe I just have a thing for dough? :)

At times, after kneading the dough in my K'Aid, and after letting it rise the first time, I usually punch it down and knead it again with the machine.

This is good especially when making Parkerhouse Rolls. But yes, your machine IS supposed to be able to mix the specified amount of dough that it can accommodate in the work bowl.

Luckily though, I've never burned out a K'Aid Stand Mixer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

First, about showing the machine no mercy, I can't do that. Part of my 'pathology' is I like machinery (more than people), but that's another story. Not to say anyone has advocated womping the mixer, What I have found in general is a difference between working and beating, a machine can be worked hard for a long time but does not take getting beat on.

Another thing is, abuse it now and even if the mixer is used for easy duty later the damage is done. It's life is substantially shortened.

Far as capacity, checking manuals and web sites, the KA site and the box state this machine is a 12 cup flour capacity in their Flour Power ratings. The site states this is a 2 batch, 6 one pound loaf machine.

This is where it gets strange. The KA manual has a 2 loaf batch of white bread as 5~6 cups AP flour and a total of 2 cups fluids. !OY?! That's not even a 50/50 mix, would give more a batter than a dough! Thats a stiff yeast gathering for sourdough mix, not a bread dough!

But then there is the KA Herb Garlic Baguette recipe. 3 1/4 ~ 3 1/2 cups AP, which is ~ 1 pound of flour, and 1 cup total fluids per batch. This was the maiden flight of this mixer, blew the bowl right off the mixer! Geez, think their recipe is a bit stiff?

I went with Alton Browns 'Perfect Loaf' ratio of 10W/16F, and doubled it to make a batch (20W and 32F).

Right about now I'm thinking my F/W ratio is a bit pooched, but then if it is out of line it isn't out of line by much.

Other things to be written here but Darn, gotta go do something. Out of time.

And the phone just rang.

I called KA about this Tuesday (or was it Monday?)

My replacement mixer has been delivered to Wifes work.

Outstanding!

Good deal Wart!
They really do have excellent customer service.(in my experience anyway.)

Far as capacity, checking manuals and web sites, the KA site and the box state this machine is a 12 cup flour capacity in their Flour Power ratings. The site states this is a 2 batch, 6 one pound loaf machine.

This is where it gets strange. The KA manual has a 2 loaf batch of white bread as 5~6 cups AP flour and a total of 2 cups fluids. !OY?! That's not even a 50/50 mix, would give more a batter than a dough! Thats a stiff yeast gathering for sourdough mix, not a bread dough!

But then there is the KA Herb Garlic Baguette recipe. 3 1/4 ~ 3 1/2 cups AP, which is ~ 1 pound of flour, and 1 cup total fluids per batch. This was the maiden flight of this mixer, blew the bowl right off the mixer! Geez, think their recipe is a bit stiff?

I went with Alton Browns 'Perfect Loaf' ratio of 10W/16F, and doubled it to make a batch (20W and 32F).

Right about now I'm thinking my F/W ratio is a bit pooched, but then if it is out of line it isn't out of line by much.

Other things to be written here but Darn, gotta go do something. Out of time.
I haven't used the recipes that came with my KA. I just use the same recipe that I used in my bread machine for white bread but I double it. It calls for 6 cups bread flour and 1 3/4 cups water and 4 tbls butter. That works fine in my machine - the 600 watt 6qt model. The manual says it will take 14 cups of flour (as long as it's not whole wheat) but I haven't tested that. HTH

Thanks, Folks.

I compared gear Lash.

The new machine has very little free play in the output shaft, applying slight twisting force on the output shaft turns the accessory output, then all movement by finger pressure stops. I'm assuming this is because all lash is removed and I'm now trying to turn the motor.

The old machine has very little free play in the output shaft, applying slight twisting force on the output shaft starts turning the accessory drive with just the slightest bit of lag, the accessory drive turns just a bit then motion stops. THEN more twisting by finger and the whole bottom output shaft housing rotates but the accessory drive does not move.

I started writing this over an hour ago, got the thought of looking for a gear diagram. I FOUND THIS and if this mixer is built the same the planetary slopping back and forth is not good.

I ran the mixer to see if it were still making noise. Oh Yeah. Sort of the wirrr of a dry bearing with a repetitive tick tick that's more periodic than the rotation of the planetary but not as often as the spinning of the output shaft.

Boy, this thing is making some noises, I should try making a recording.

Seems as though this machine is coming apart from top to bottom.

DARN I want to take this apart and see whats going on .... I bet KA wouldn't have a sense of humor about it though.

I think the noise I heard the first time I ran the machine has come back to destroy it.

So sorry to hear that you are STILL having problems - even with the new machine!

And it's even more heartbreaking to learn that you can't return it to the place of purchase for a refund.

I know that this might sound weird or dumb, but maybe you might want to look into getting the Eletrolux Assistant DLX-2000. It may cost more, but it's well worth it and it has a proven track record.

If interested, go here; Electrolux Mixer Magic Mill DLX Mixers Kitchen Assistent Assistant Stand Mixer Electroluxe Mixers Best Kitchen Mixer .

Last edited:
So the new machine is making noise too? DH got me the 6-quart pro when it was introduced many years ago. It was like a freight train on the counter, and after many conversations with KA and the vendor, we opted to return it and replaced with the copper 4.5 quart. Boy do I wish I had a copper 6 quart (recently seen at WS for $899!).

I have since been advised that the 6 quart pro actually quiets down some when the motor is taxed, and I apparently wasn't working it hard enough.

I can't recall specifics, but I do remember something about realigning the planetary action movement and the bowl on the 4.5 quart I ended up with. Cannot find my manual just now, but I wonder if that was part of your problem with the flexing you noticed earlier?

Back
Top Bottom