Lentil Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Health benefits? Do a google search if you want specifics. Don't know if there are any dieticians here. They are good for you in a low fat, high fiber sort of way.

Make soup, or simply eat cooked lentils tossed with sauteed vegetables.

I make a pasta dish with lentils, canned tomatoes, garlic. Cheap eats that is for sure!

hi thanks for your reply , there seems to be many different types of lentils , does one eat different lentils in different circumstances.

I use lentils in soups, veggie burgers, fresh lentil sprouts, indian cooking. I know when I go to the Indian grocery store has a dozen different sizes, shapes and colors of lentils.

I just think of lentils as just one of the many varieties of dried beans, except these you do not need to soak in water for 15 hours before cooking.

Yes - there are different lentils for different "circumstances". Some hold their shape better thru prolonged cooking & are thus better for braised dishes, & there are also subtle taste differences. They are also high in protein & fiber, like all legumes.

Unfortunately there is no way to definitively answer your question. Your best bet is to do some recipe research &/or simply start experimenting with different varieties.

I ate lentils for the first time last winter, in a soup, and I think they are wonderful! While they are a legume, they do not taste like beans or peas to me.

Here's how I made the soup:

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

1 1/2 cup each brown lentils, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots
1 heaping tbl minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced diagonally
2 cups leftover cooked chicken (opt)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth (I meant to use 2 cans chicken broth, but the mistake turned out well)
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
about 2 tbls pesto
olive oil

Rinse lentils and soak in hot water while you chop vegetables. In a dutch oven, saute onions, celery and carrots in a couple tbls olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sausage, and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add the diced tomatoes, broth, chicken and Old Bay. Cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve.

I didn't add any actual salt at all...there was enough in the broth, sausage and pesto.

Ummmm, lentils are the highest protein to carbohydrate ratio legume. They sprout quickly, and cooking time is about the same as brown rice (shorter for sprouted), so that makes a good combination for a base for, say, curries (one of my faves). Sprouted, they are a nice addition to salads or sandwiches. Connie's soup sound absolutely KILLER, and I will give it a try.

there seems to be many different types of lentils , does one eat different lentils in different circumstances.

We eat different lentils in different social circumstances.

We consider common lentils (Lens culinaris) as non-veg and yellow lentils (Vigna radiata) as veg, so we use yellow one in any 'pujas'

I use them in my vegetarian chili. I've only bought the bag of green ones on the grocery store shelf. At the restaurant, he uses Puy lentils. I've never tried them myself, but have been told they are delicious.

I love cooking red lentils with : olive oil,2 spoons of cream, tomato sauce, turmeric and chopped onions.

hi

hi i bought some veg indian cook books so i will be able to use the lentils in the goodness of time and even buy different kinds .

If you cook say a bhuna or dhansk sauce could you just add lentils and veg to give the curry a little substance and make it more filling and say leave out the brown rice for a change.

I make a curry with lentils,many people first look at is and think, 'ha lentils' but when they dig into it they are surprised. I do the same with beans, but with beans I mix different type of beans so the presentation looks attractive with all the colours.

Back
Top Bottom