Makin' Bacon 2! Canadian too, eh!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow .. well done Pac !! Can't wait to hear how the taste tests went. They certainly do look delicious.

I think you may have found your calling !! :pig:

Extraordinary! Waiting for a taste test report.

The Canadian bacon was outstanding. As soon as the sandwich hit that certain spot where a smell becomes an aroma I knew. I would not change a thing from the way I made this. This wasn't a substitute Canadian bacon, it was Canadian bacon. I lucked into a really good recipe.

And the bacon smelled like bacon cooking. Not as sweet as first time, more like regular bacon. It didn't caramelize as much, which was good, but still had a slight sweet taste. I'm pretty happy with it, too.

Wow .. well done Pac !! Can't wait to hear how the taste tests went. They certainly do look delicious.

I think you may have found your calling !! :pig:

Thank you, Mrs.
I just might start dabbling in making my own beer.
What could be better than making your own bacon and beer?
:LOL:

Very nice pac! If it tastes half as good as it looks I'm sure it's mouth-watering. Just looking here I feel a little drool coming on. :LOL:

I just might start dabbling in making my own beer.
What could be better than making your own bacon and beer?
:LOL:

Two of the four food groups, eh? Along with chocolate and... Wait! Bacon, Canadian bacon, beer and chocolate. Yup, got 'em all. ;)

So after having gotten in touch with Pac's 6th grade teacher, here is the reason his bacon venture has been so successful !

img_1271955_0_3e5b5ef09f5c99c38fcc9881418f81cd.jpg

That reminds me, I bought some asparagus Sunday that's just dying for a bacon wrap and a trip to the Ducane Spa.

Pac,

Is the finished Canadian bacon similar to smoked pork chops?

We used to have those quite often when I was a kid but, I don't see them in the stores anymore.

I don't know, Aunt Bea. I've never had a smoked pork chop. It doesn't have the texture of regular pork chops... it's more like ham. Maybe from the curing. It's drier than ham though.

Go buy yourself an Egg McMuffin tomorrow. It's exactly like that :LOL:

I don't know, Aunt Bea. I've never had a smoked pork chop. It doesn't have the texture of regular pork chops... it's more like ham. Maybe from the curing. It's drier than ham though.

Go buy yourself an Egg McMuffin tomorrow. It's exactly like that :LOL:

The smoked pork chops were bone in and tasted like ham.

They were quite salty and could be dry if they were not cooked properly.

Sounds about the same!

I think you should turn the chicken coop into a smoke house and expand your operation! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Ah yes... the chicken coop...
I should really get some chickens in there again.

Now I just don't understand this? :ermm:

I've been camped out at the Post Office to the point that the Postmaster is getting pissed and I haven't seen hide nor hair of my shipping crate. :mad:

That bacon looks wonderful and I can't wait until the package arrives. :yum:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Now I just don't understand this? :ermm:

I've been camped out at the Post Office to the point that the Postmaster is getting pissed and I haven't seen hide nor hair of my shipping crate. :mad:

That bacon looks wonderful and I can't wait until the package arrives. :yum:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Sounds suspicious to me. Does the Postmaster have bacon breath.

The smoked pork chops were bone in and tasted like ham.

They were quite salty and could be dry if they were not cooked properly....

I think smoked pork chops are saltier than Canadian bacon, but it could be just my tastebuds. Of course, they ARE equally good! I've seen smoked chops in most stores I've shopped. Since Smithfield is now owned by a Chinese firm not sure how eager I'd be to get them from a grocery store. Fortunately we have a butcher nearby who has a hog farmer as a friend and smokes the pork he gets from his friend. I'd call around to your local butcher shops to see if any carry those. FWIW, our favorite way to enjoy them is seared just a bit in a deep pan (like a chicken fryer). After a few minutes of browning I pile in a LOT of fresh green beans - nearly a pound for each of us - add some water, and put a lid on it. Cook up until the beans are done to your liking and enjoy!

Pac, sweetie, what are the chances of you trying to smoke up pork chops sometime to see how they turn out? *bats eyelashes*

Back
Top Bottom