Making my own cereal. Fake cinna toast crunch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook

I tried this recipe. Could certainly smell the cinnamon but the taste was kind of bitter and cinnamon didn't register so much. Any suggestions on how to polish this recipe up? Maybe a replacement for hemp? And add other stuff?

• 1/2 cup milled flax seed
  • 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
  • 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Are you sure your milled flax, or hulled hemp seeds are not rancid? Neither of those should taste bitter. Smell the coconut oil too, to make sure it has little smell.
I use both types of seeds and neither is bitter, they are nutty and mild.
I would taste all the ingredients separately to find where the bitterness is coming from.
Ceylon cinnamon is much better for you than cassia, if you have the choice. Please keep us updated on your progress. It's a good idea.

The seeds should be brand new. Purchased specially to try this recipe. Hemp was harder to find which is why I was asking for alternative.

It is possible to buy ingredients that are rancid before you get them home......BUT.....
as to your question. Hemp is high in fat, and sunflower kernels are also high in fat in similar percentages. This would give the cereal the ability to be crunchy.

So you recommend sunflower kernels as alternative? The flaxseed seemed nutty and the hemp didn't have any particular flavor. They actually didn't turn out that crispy. I was worried the cinnamon burned a little.

Sure you could try ground flax seed.
Hemp seeds are 79% fat.
Sunflower kernels are 84% fat.
Flax seed are 69% fat.
Chia seeds are 53% fat.

All three would be good. They might be a little over powering. Dry ginger might be a little bitter using that much. Cinnamon will be fine. I don't know how strong allspice might be. I have allspice but haven't used it in anything lately.

I just made some fruit bread and it called for 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and I wouldn't add more because it would be too strong.

Great-Value-Cinnamon-Crunch-Breakfast-Cereal-20-25-oz_32fce635-109a-4cee-b2d2-a1e3970c5a54.96cde0cefe33ef7e8a61b89d47f1a828.jpeg
$2.98 American@ Wally World.

All three would be good. They might be a little over powering. Dry ginger might be a little bitter using that much. Cinnamon will be fine. I don't know how strong allspice might be. I have allspice but haven't used it in anything lately.

I just made some fruit bread and it called for 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and I wouldn't add more because it would be too strong.
I did 1/3 cup hemp, 1/3 cup sunflower, and 1/3 cup flax. I think it is much better with the sunflower seed.

Back
Top Bottom