Mandolin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another question for everyone who has a mandolin(e) and/or a V-slicer. How much work is it to wash the thing when you are done using it? Does it need to be taken apart?

I have the one Lardeffect recommended. The main unit and the guard are two separate pieces, and the blade pops out easily. It's easy to clean - just rinse and run over it with a soapy cloth or sponge, or it can go in the dishwasher. Just be careful handling the blades, because they really are sharp. It comes with a holder to keep the blades together and covered when not in use.

If I get to mine soon enough all I have to do is rinse it well with hot water. If I let it dry I have to take it apart.

I have the one Lardeffect recommended. The main unit and the guard are two separate pieces, and the blade pops out easily. It's easy to clean - just rinse and run over it with a soapy cloth or sponge, or it can go in the dishwasher. Just be careful handling the blades, because they really are sharp. It comes with a holder to keep the blades together and covered when not in use.
Do you have the bowl? If not, how do you use it? It doesn't seem to have legs, so do you put it over something? (Amazon.ca doesn't seem to sell the bowl.)

I use either a cutting board or a mixing bowl. The bottom of it has little rubber "feet," so you can hold it up over a cutting board; it also has little hooks so you can place it over a mixing bowl. I was watching a "Good Eats" Thanksgiving episode a while ago and Alton Brown was using one that looked just like it :)

I'm about to start my slow-cooker onions, so here's a pic:

Attachments

• mandoline-edited.jpg
    mandoline-edited.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I use either a cutting board or a mixing bowl. The bottom of it has little rubber "feet," so you can hold it up over a cutting board; it also has little hooks so you can place it over a mixing bowl. I was watching a "Good Eats" Thanksgiving episode a while ago and Alton Brown was using one that looked just like it :)

I'm about to start my slow-cooker onions, so here's a pic:
Thanks for the info. I will probably get one, and a protective glove.

I just picked up the onions 30 minutes ago. They are really small, so we'll see... I had wanted to cut them in half so I don't have rings, but I'm not sure yet how easily they will fit in the holder being so small.

I just picked up the onions 30 minutes ago. They are really small, so we'll see... I had wanted to cut them in half so I don't have rings, but I'm not sure yet how easily they will fit in the holder being so small.
Good luck with the little onions and be careful not to cut yourself.

Well... is was as messy as I seem to remember with the Roncomatic slicer dicers. I had pieces shooting forward off the mandolin, even going slowly, and pieces dropping at my feet. Pieces of onion on top of the mandolin and pieces underneath. In proportion to the 3 lbs of small onions I cut though, I suppose I could live with that. It was easy, no-brainer going once the onions were prepped.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 164
When I'm doing something in volume like lots of onions, I always select the biggest ones I can find. The same goes for mushrooms. I'd rather prep fewer big items than more small ones.

Once prepped, the V-Slicer does a great job.

Thanks for the review pac. Is the thickness of the slices adjustable?

Yes, but you have to either flip the blade attachment over or insert a new one. There are three blade attachments. I would have rather seen a knob on the side lifting or lowering the cutting surface. More engineering comes a higher price I imagine. It does have a nifty little storeage rack though, that keeps everything in one place and safe.

Bigger onions would have been nice, Andy. It handled the small ones quite well though.

Yes, but you have to either flip the blade attachment over or insert a new one. There are three blade attachments. I would have rather seen a knob on the side lifting or lowering the cutting surface. More engineering comes a higher price I imagine. It does have a nifty little storeage rack though, that keeps everything in one place and safe.

Bigger onions would have been nice, Andy. It handled the small ones quite well though.

Also these onions were on sale. So not much choice there. :angel:

Well... is was as messy as I seem to remember with the Roncomatic slicer dicers. I had pieces shooting forward off the mandolin, even going slowly, and pieces dropping at my feet. Pieces of onion on top of the mandolin and pieces underneath. In proportion to the 3 lbs of small onions I cut though, I suppose I could live with that. It was easy, no-brainer going once the onions were prepped.

I have always thought they would be messy, we do a lot of slicing by hand or if it is a lot, the food processor

That too, Addie. I'm not one to pass up a sale, especially for something I'm making. :)

My FP doesn't slice well. It's only a 7qt and I think that's the problem. I tend to overload it and it chops some items and doesn't touch others. A few more pulses and my food turns to pulp and chunks :( And then there's the mess of cleaning it... even before I put it in the dishwasher. The mandolin shines in that department.

Everything is browned and coming along nicely. And the house and surrounding area smells like onion :LOL: I guess now I simply wait another half a day and let it reduce.

I use mandolins both at work and at home. A japanese for fine work and the traditional mainly for slicing (making dauphinoise) , julienne, and batonet cuts. At work its a life saver because of the volume for example just to julienne carrots my cooks peel and cut 40 lb per day. Just remember they are extremely sharp and you should by a quality one such as a Bron. You can sometimes buy them at a reduced price on a web site called "Happy Chef".

pacanis said:

Could be operator error ;) I didn't have those problems with mine. I did stop at the last half-inch or so and put the nubbins in a bag with the peels for stock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom