Meal Kit Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Dragn, that's nifty. But, I am still wondering if the company froze one of the meals for you to have last or if you froze one to use last.

Yeah, my biggest decision was which one to have first. Although there was always one meal frozen to have last.
Yeah, oops, guess that wasn't really clear. They froze the one meal.
Don't really remember but I believe one was a pasta, fettuccini I think, was delish. One was either chicken or pork chops.

The weeks meals consisted of 4 meals. Which order you had them in was up to you. "Edit: - with one frozen, you then had a choice which 3 you wanted first". Again don't remember how many choices there were but there were quite a few. (another edit: meaning choice of meals to be delivered, another not clear oops)

Go to one of the websites - eplains it pretty well. Believe it always comes on a Tuesday morning.
You can also put it on "hold". You don't have to order every week. But you must remember to cancel and/or place your next order by a certain day.
Ginny - am I remembering correctly? - that there is a default menu?

Last edited:
<<Ginny - am I remembering correctly?>>

Hmmmm....yes & no. I don't know what company you used...MS & MS doesn't have any of it frozen. Although the meats are pretty darn closed to it. One chooses how many you want to have as a "standard" order. I chose 4 for 2 people. Then you tell them any "dislikes"...but they are pretty broad. Example: "Seafood". I do like most seafoods. Or choose "Vegetarian", "Gluten Free" and so on. And they do suggest the 4 for me, but one does not have to accept those. So each week, they are choosing a Salmon dish for me and I do NOT like salmon. You hit the "edit" button and then just add and delete, as you like. They told me my "first available" delivery is on Mondays. I took that. I didn't try to select another day, so don't know if I could have. I can put things on hold, or choose fewer meals for a week. I could add other things too. There's a whole list of things, much like ordering delivery from your local grocery store. 1 onion or a bag full. 1 extra "already prepared meal" or a bunch of them. Maybe those are frozen? Right now, they have a bunch of "Make the holidays easier" things to order. Some are pre-made and some are kits...desserts, side dishes, mashed taters, stuffing, etc.

I told Mikey, it comes with Flash Cards! I can just hold them up and you tell me what you want for dinner! He said, "No, tape them in the window and I'll just point!" (Joke: there's a local Teriyaki place here. The "cashier" (owner?) doesn't seem to speak English. He has a big stick and when you say what you want, he verifies it by pointing to the huge picture menu behind him!)

IMG_7768.jpg

I'm impressed with the veggies. All are fresh and look about like what I would choose myownself. I'm not fretting them going bad before I can use them.

Im not sure how other companies work, but when I visited a headquarters of a vegan Meal delivery service, I asked how they can keep the produce fresh when servicing the continental USA. What this company did was they had 2 warehouses. One on the east coast and the other on the west coast. This way, the can deliver the food from the warehouse that is closest to the receiving customer.

I never had an issue with produce freshness when I was aa subscriber. Occasionally an ingredient was missing ( having a pretty well stocked kitchen, it didn't affect me, but for someone who was counting on an ' all included box' probably would have been upset.

My other issues ( which. probably already mentioned early on in this thread, or in another past thread), was that I would receive my meals on a day of the week that wasn't convenient for me. Some days I have all the time in the world to cook, other days I work late and needs something quick and easy. So I'd be forced to cook everything at once to make sure the ingredients stayed fresh.

I also found the meals ( over time) to be repetitive. Maybe not the exact same recipe repeated, but like 20 versions of tacos, all similar but different .... which was fine in the beginning, but eventually got boring.

One thing I loved though, was that I did get to try dishes I may never would have considered trying , and some ingredients also that were new to me. Sometimes, even combining certain ingredients that I never would have combined without be prompted. All in all, it was a good experience, but I outgrew it over time. But it was cool to visit the headquarters, and see how the business was run.

Yes Larry, that's it. Here in Canada I believe they have more than two. I'm guessing- 1 in Montreal, another in Toronto and probably one in BC. The prairies I don't know how that would work. Maybe they just don't do those areas.

I only ever had about 3 deliveries. I spoke to one of the drivers, (never saw the other two, may even have been the same one) he was local for just west off the island. Only did that particular area, didn't say if there were others but could have been. Or perhaps it was handled by having different delivery days. Towns could have been handled easily but I was waay out in the country. Nearest grocery town was 25 minutes (speeding ;)).

Also, yes, my orders were for 2 servings. If it were for 4 then they would be packaged as 2 x 2. Like 2 packets of spice instead of just one, etc.

There's a button on the M/S & M/S site that allows one to "Change Delivery Time". So, I check that button. My deliver day is currently Mondays. The button allows me to switch to Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday. I know that some services allow for multiple delivery days. This one does not appear to have that option.

My shipment came from Tracy, CA. About 650 miles south of me. I've got to believe there are other locations, but I've not checked into that.

As for variety, for now, they have enough that I cannot order everything that is of interest to me. I've scheduled my choices for 5 weeks out and haven't noticed too many repeats or things too similar, in my opinion. For now, I'm happy enough. Last night's dinner was tasty and easy enough too.

This morning, as I was reviewing upcoming meal kit shipments, I noticed that my usual Monday delivery will fall on Christmas Day, 12/25. Then, I noticed that they changed it to Thursday, 12/28. Sigh. I told them to skip that box, as the delay just won't work for me. If they were more like the trash pick-up guy, and delay everyone by 1 day, due to a holiday...I would get that & it would work. But a delay from Monday to Thursday, not so much.

I imagine there will be a similar issue the following week with New Year's Day, so I'll likely "skip" that box too, because a delay from 1/1 to 1/4 will put it too close to the following Monday, 1/8 delivery.

Oh, well...guess I'll be able to use up holiday leftovers! ;)

I tried Blue Apron a long time ago and, yes it was a lot of work. More than I normally used to prepare my own recipes.

I also tried Factor prepared meals, but they are just as expensive as going to a restaurant, but without the ambience. They also like to use riced and mashed cauliflower instead of the real thing, and I HATED that. I cancelled the program, but the keep sending me discount offers.

Right now, as a senior, I qualify for meals from Traditions, frozen meals that are available through senior centers throughout the country. I have been getting their meals for several months now, and I can say I never saw fake rice or mashed potatoes in a single meal. The only payment I was asked for was a donation of $2.50 a week to the senior center that delivers the meals, if I could afford it. I set up an automatic payment of $15.00 a month from my checking account to Serving Seniors of San Diego.

Thanks so much for the info, SLoB. The contact link is broken, but I sent an email to see if they have a location convenient for my 88-YO MIL. She would very much benefit and enjoy the meals I see on their site.

Does anyone do meal kit delivery? Now or even in the past. If so, which one(s)? And, what do you think of it?

Asking as I'm considering subscribing to one. I've been looking at Martha Stewart & Marley Spoon menus and they do have some interesting offerings.

Thanks for any & all input! :unsure:
I don't use but two of my friends have used Hello Fresh, and they both had the exact same feedback. They like the meals but there is a minimum that you can order a week and they would rather there isn't because they don't want to have to commit to cooking that many times a week.

They also said that you have to cook it right away or the vegetables will go bad. Which is basically the same problem that supermarket shoppers have when trying to plan meals.

They both thought the meals were good. But they have both discontinued using it. Because they let too many go to waste.

I have a friend who uses Hello Fresh. The only issue she has is that the boxes get delivered while she is at work and go missing too often.

I have a friend who uses Hello Fresh. The only issue she has is that the boxes get delivered while she is at work and go missing too often.
There are "systems" to help with that. From "lock boxes" to the so-called "smart" garage door thingies. Or maybe there is a neighbor that might accept the delivery?

For us, we are usually home for the M/S&M/S delivery. But we're not a big targeted area anyway. Out in the hills, I think folks are a tad wary of the hillbillies? o_O

I haven't been to her place. I think it's row houses and it just get left on the porch. She's renting, so I don't think there is a lot she can do. Also, I think some of the times it went missing, it was delivered to the wrong address.

Here's one I hadn't heard of Whole Harvest. https: //wholeharvest.com/ (has a giveaway offered by drawing) Reviewed here: https://eatplant-based.com/whole-harvest-meal-delivery/ (with $30 off)
8 meals about $120 including delivery.
It has the kinds of foods I eat but it's expensive if you shop for groceries once or twice a week and don't mind the chopping or cooking. It might work for someone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom