Memorial Weekend Kickoff - 5/27/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Today was our Memorial Day dinner due to everyone's schedules. Daughter, SIL, and some friends were over. Marinated steak tips on the grill, Chef John's rusty chicken thighs, red cabbage cole slaw, pasta salad, and baked beans. Dessert was frozen yogurt and cowboy cookies I made yesterday.

I'm making foods to take to my Mother's and stash away in her freezer for her future dinners. (we'll pick off her stuff for our supper tonight ;))

I've got a few large bakers in the oven; a coupla nice rib eye steaks going on the grill as well as some Teriyaki B/S Chicken Thighs.

I've gather together my bounty of goodies to re-stock her freezer, which I do twice a year.
I made her Kahlua Cakes as well, one for her and one for her bestest friend who looks out for her, and her GF is older than she is :)
cake 001.JPG
[file photo]

I hear ya about schedules, Tenspeed. Sometimes the day after, or day before, works out best for everyone. The main thing is family getting together.

kgirl....how nice! I'm sure your mama so appreciates the freezer meals you do for her, and glad to hear she has someone looking out for her when you can't be there.

This afternoon's dinner was a mango, watermelon, green apple, and purple grape salad, and egg salad on Triscuits. :)

I'm microwaving a huge plate of cut up bell peppers and an onion before I skewer them and place them and the meat cubes on the grill. Yes, 10 minutes microwaving the cut up veggies.

Last edited:
The veggies grilled up nice, but next time I'm gonna microwave my pile of cut up peppers and onion for 15 minutes, on High. In order that the meat doesn't get over done while the veggies grill up charred and tasty.

Corn on the cob, corn on the cob.

I was going to fry up a steak, but it's so hot I don't want to cook anything. So it's a good thing I got all that corn.

I grocery shopped today, so I heated the leftover beans and sausage from a couple days ago. Himself went with me to the second grocery store because they had a big sale on Coke products. He returned the bottles and cans for refund, then shopped for the flavors he wanted. Meanwhile, I picked up the rest of the items I wanted to get - plus a nice baguette for him to have with the beans and sausage as a reward for being a good boy. He does like his baguettes!

When we got to the register, I found out he had snuck a jar of peanuts into the cart. Guess he wasn't THAT good of a good boy after all. :LOL:

The veggies grilled up nice, but next time I'm gonna microwave my pile of cut up peppers and onion for 15 minutes, on High. In order that the meat doesn't get over done while the veggies grill up charred and tasty.

Ever tried separate skewers for each vege and the meat? You get better control that way.

What Craig said. Cook the meat and veggies separately. They cook at different speeds.The presentation may not be as pretty but the food is better.

We had a roquefort souffle with a spinach and arugula salad dressed with a warm pancetta, wild mushroom, sherry wine vinaigrette.

MMM MMM MMM, so glad Dh isn't working and we can eat together and watch movies together and hike together. We are having a tuna mac salad and bear steaks we've been keeping. Broccoli and carrots with veggie dip. I'm a happy camper.

Garlic butter tilapia and a huge green salad...

Working off all that fried Missouri food but... I'm sure craving pie...or cake... :ermm:

Ross

MMM MMM MMM, so glad Dh isn't working and we can eat together and watch movies together and hike together. We are having a tuna mac salad and bear steaks we've been keeping. Broccoli and carrots with veggie dip. I'm a happy camper.

Bear steaks? From what cut of the beast?

And how will you or Mr. Ful make them?

You should rent and watch The Revenant tonight.

Bucky, I don't know what cut. They were processed by a bear processor, but we are currently putting them on the grill. We have to overcook them, so they are safe but they turn out incredibly good that way. And some double stuffed potatoes!!! We have watched the Revenant. DH calls it the Revenue, lol. Mr. Ful, lol, I get it!

I think we might watch The Shack tonight. I read the book it was incredible and I'm a fan of JC, the holy spirit and God. I'm hoping we'll see that.

A friend from Ottawa surprised me with a visit for the weekend. Friday evening we did Mexican, Saturday was walleye, wild asparagus, potato salad and for those who like sweets, rhubarb pie. Sunday brunch was cantaloupe, cheese-ham-asparagus omelette, toast (homemade bread), bacon and freshly-squeezed OJ (for those who eat bread--I had a breakfast salad). Before I dropped her off, we stopped and had Reuben sandwiches.

I'd love to see pictures of your veggies after microwaving for 15 minutes and then grilling.

Back
Top Bottom