Mojito question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recipe is for cranberry mojito. Wondering if I can replace the water called for in the recipe with cranberry juice, or would this screw up the recipe? Will provide the recipe for it below.

Cranberry Mojito:

2 c water
2 c superfine sugar
1/2 lb cranberries (8 ounces)
2 c fresh mint
1 c lime juice
4 c rum
1 c club soda
ice

1.Bring water to boil in saucepan over high heat. Add sugar and cranberries; mix well. Boil 5-10 minutes or until cranberries start to breakdown.

2.Remove from heat; set aside and allow to cool completely.

3.Chop mint finely and put in large pitcher.

4.To pitcher add lime juice and cranberry mixture; stir in rum and club soda.

5.Place in refrigerator; allow to steep 2-4 hours.

6.If necessary, add sugar to mojito mixture to taste.

7.Serve in glasses filled with ice.

I would leave it with water. The water and sugar are there to make a simple syrup to sweeten the drink with. The water will make it more delicate, as a mojito should be. IMHO, using cranberry juice will just be an in-your-face cranberry drink.

With that being said, splitting the batch to experiment might an option to see for yourself.

mojito snobs will object to finely chopped mint. it should be muddled.

much like elfie after a few batch experiments... ;)

You have a hidden camera here, or what? :glare:

Yes, it MUST be muddled to release the essential oils. If you don't have a muddler just use a soon to smoosh those leaves AND lime together. Slice a bit of the lime in with the leaves and muddle those with the simple syrup/cranberry combo. Then add your rum and top off with club soda.

my handyman and i had a wine cooler, mojito. not really wonderful. has an after taste like perfume.

pretty sure i have had a real one and it doesn't taste like that. oh well, cheap is as cheap does. lol

babe:mad:

my handyman and i had a wine cooler, mojito. not really wonderful. has an after taste like perfume.

pretty sure i have had a real one and it doesn't taste like that. oh well, cheap is as cheap does. lol

babe:mad:

The wine coolers are GREAT except for the fake lime taste and the fake mint taste! :ROFLMAO:

I don't know why you want to even do that - any particular reason you want to use the cranberry juice?

A cranberry mojito is the "essence" of cranberry - not a cranberry drink. I think you will be missing the point of a mojito by doing this.

Okay would do half water and half cranberry juice. Would this work?
You don't need to add cranberry juice, you are adding cranberries and sugar to the water, this in turn makes it a cranberry flavored juice! Or did I read the recipe wrong?:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom