Monday dinner, March 18, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purple Rice with collards, seasoned with garlic, onion, smoked paprika powders, AC vinegar, some no salt.

purple-rice-002.jpg

I had a mystery shop job so we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. Craig had chili that he actually liked for an appetizer, then ribs and fries, and I had half of their smallest ribeye and baked potato, plus a side Cesar salad.
What is a Mystery Shop?

I do enjoy Texas Roadhouse. Wish we had one closer than 5 hours away!

What is a Mystery Shop?
You evaluate and report on cleanliness, service, food, employee actions, etc., without anyone knowing what you are doing at the establishment. Everything from gas stations to very nice hotels.

Sometimes you get paid plus reimbursement for most, if not all, of what you pay for. I'll get reimbursed $50 for this particular job, leaving a balance of $25ish from the check, that also includes a 20% tip. So, we got to have a nice dinner for around $25.

You evaluate and report on cleanliness, service, food, employee actions, etc., without anyone knowing what you are doing at the establishment. Everything from gas stations to very nice hotels.

Sometimes you get paid plus reimbursement for most, if not all, of what you pay for. I'll get reimbursed $50 for this particular job, leaving a balance of $25ish from the check, that also includes a 20% tip. So, we got to have a nice dinner for around $25.
Thank you!

Today we both had a day of brain farts and klutzing. I had really been looking forward to the Danish meal I had planned. I didn't think it was the best time to be cutting up a lot of onions or frying a bunch of bacon.

So, we ordered burrito bowls. We enjoyed those.

And I was trying to imagine a savory type oatmeal cookie, with pork! :LOL:

I didn't make any cookies, either. Just some sandwiches, on that rye bread from a couple of days ago, and a salad.

Oatmeal cookies with bacon bits? I'm thinkin' that could be pretty awesome. :yum:

CD

We were in Coldfoot Camp for a few days. I'm embarrassed to post a photo of food from this place. Essentially they are a truck stop and feed hungry truckers who will travel from Fairbanks to the Artic Ocean. We would get a pancake - it was ten inches wide. An omelet was likely made with 6 huge eggs. Tater tots ordered and they brought you a large platter of them....essentially a full bag fried crispy so they would still be crispy when cooled. The food was basic truck stop fare, but was hearty and good. Their gumbo was absolutely supreme!

Contrary to popular belief - truckers are finicky eaters. They don't like the food, they'll figure out something else.
My BIL, a trucker, and a cook at home (yup, his wife is the one who can't cook hot dogs). Saturday and Sunday dinners at their house were amazing. There was always fish (I started eating more fish because of him), chicken, a beef, lamb or pork dish, plus 4 or 5 vegies. Friends used to 'drop' by to visit just before supper as they knew they would always get invited to stay and eat. LOL!
Prairie Oyster Soup was one of his favourites. People loved it, until he told them what it was. LOL Most still said they liked it - but wouldn't have it again!

We were in Coldfoot Camp for a few days. I'm embarrassed to post a photo of food from this place. Essentially they are a truck stop and feed hungry truckers who will travel from Fairbanks to the Artic Ocean. We would get a pancake - it was ten inches wide. An omelet was likely made with 6 huge eggs. Tater tots ordered and they brought you a large platter of them....essentially a full bag fried crispy so they would still be crispy when cooled. The food was basic truck stop fare, but was hearty and good. Their gumbo was absolutely supreme!
That is surprising to me considering the increased cost of food in Alaska.

How were the prices?

Alaskan costs were definitely higher when eating out. However, in Coldfoot, we felt the costs were very reasonable considering how much food you got. I can eat heartily, but could not finish my meals. We took to sharing a lot. Everything was heaped on platters or served in large bowls.

menu.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom