Monday's Dinner Thread - 5/2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sausage & Peppers ...
Grilled Sausage, Fried Peppers and Onions,
Mashed with Gravy, Succotash with Bacon Bits ..........

Sausage & Peppers 5-2-22.jpg

I made one quart of creamy broccoli cheddar soup and one quart of chicken soup (plus brown rice to serve under the chicken soup) for dinner tonight. Plus we had bologna and American on a kaiser roll (I had a quarter of a sandwich).

broccoli_cheddar_050222_img_9570-jpg.49810

chicken_soup_050222_img_9568-jpg.49811

I barely sat down all day! Busy, busy! I managed to make two new batches of ice cream. First chocolate and then a new batch of vanilla too. While the vanilla was in the machine, I made some beef kabobs with the Easy Kabob-er. I'm going to grill them on the gas grill and serve them on top of Greek Pita along with some "optional" sides...Tzatziki, hummus, guac, Italian dressing...and whatever else I might find handy. There will be some shredded lettuce, shredded carrot, thin sliced red onion and cuke too. I've got a batch of sticky rice cooking in the rice cooker.

Fingers and paws crossed that DH will be able to manage the meal. At this point, he can chew, but moving the food around in his mouth is still a challenge. His tongue is healing, but I don't want him to overdo and end up in pain. Balancing act between giving him food of interest, yet manageable too. Maybe will have some ice cream for dessert!

Vegan ' Chicken' with mushrooms and baby artichokes, in a Marsala sauce served on top of kale and topped with an Olive / Almond relish.

Combination of what I had on hand, multiple recipes I found online, and my own imagination. pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.48.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.48.26 PM.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.48.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.48.03 PM.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 22
I feel like a wet dishrag, so I suggested sandwiches for supper. That was the plan, until DH decided he needed comfort food, so we ordered Italian. Lasagna for DH and a Caesar salad with grilled chicken breast for me.

Ginny, if you haven't started eating supper, I say have the ice cream before the kabobs. Life is uncertain - eat dessert first!

We had sausages and peppers, too, but I also sauteed onions and served it all over polenta. Grated some Grana Padano over the top. I also sauteed zucchini planks with Italian seasoning and melted mozzarella cheese all over them. Himself isn't a big fan of zucchini, so think of the cheese as a peace offering. IMG_20220502_202204523_HDR.jpg

Chicken with Mushrooms, artichokes, marsala , olive/almond relish over kale

Fry up breaded "chicken", remove and place on paper towel
(removed outer tough leaves of baby artichokes, cut off Stem, tip then quarter.
Fry up quartered baby artichokes a few minutes ( salt)
Add garlic and diced onion for a few minutes ( 2 cloves garlic/ 1/2 onion)
Add Sliced shrooms ( About 10) , a little chicken stock, cover and cook a few minutes
Add a few Tbs of marsala , cover, cook til mushrooms about done
Uncover, and cook til most liquid gone
Sprinkle 1 - 2 tbs of flour , incorporate
Add 1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock , a few tbs of marsala
Cook til thickens
Add chicken, stir to coat chicken
Add a little "butter" if needed ( I did)

Olive / Almond Relish
Toast about 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chop to small pieces
Chop about same amount of kalamata olives
Chop about 1/4 cup parsley
Zest one lemon
Mince one clove of garlic
Mix all together with a little salt and olive oil

Kale
Boil a bunch of kale in salted water until it doesnt taste like kale anymore
Could probably sauté in olive oil/ garlic instead of boiling

Serve
bed of kale
Mushrooms and artichokes
A few pieces of chicken on top
Sprinkle relish on top

This recipe was completely made up on the spot, so there are no real measurements ... just a guide.

Last edited:
Ginny, if you haven't started eating supper, I say have the ice cream before the kabobs. Life is uncertain - eat dessert first!

LOL...on the zuke! Dinner looks great!

We did that night before last! Last night, no room for dessert, but DH did have to "sample" the ice cream as it was made. Got a bit of a brain freeze from the chocolate.

I barely sat down all day! Busy, busy! I managed to make two new batches of ice cream. First chocolate and then a new batch of vanilla too. While the vanilla was in the machine, I made some beef kabobs with the Easy Kabob-er. I'm going to grill them on the gas grill and serve them on top of Greek Pita along with some "optional" sides...Tzatziki, hummus, guac, Italian dressing...and whatever else I might find handy. There will be some shredded lettuce, shredded carrot, thin sliced red onion and cuke too. I've got a batch of sticky rice cooking in the rice cooker.

Fingers and paws crossed that DH will be able to manage the meal. At this point, he can chew, but moving the food around in his mouth is still a challenge. His tongue is healing, but I don't want him to overdo and end up in pain. Balancing act between giving him food of interest, yet manageable too. Maybe will have some ice cream for dessert!

They don't really photograph well, but they were yummy! Carrots and cukes didn't make it to the plates.
IMG_6473 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom