More Dave news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I just spoke to Dave and he was in very good spirits and feels a lot better. He thinks he wil be in the hospital at least until Tuesday. He doesn't know if he will wind up in rehab or if he will go home. His lungs and his voice is much improved. It is the pre-leukemia condition that he is most concerned with but I told him that he has a lot of prayers and that he had to do his part by staying positive and eating. He is weak, in part, because he hates the hospital food. So, I encouraged him to eat and finally, they gave him a couple decent meals. He is a delightful person and I am sorry that I cannot visit in person. He does have some cute nurses. He knows the DC community cares and it means a lot to him. He really has had a very varied and interesting life.
Best, Susan

Thank you for the update Susan. Hopefully he will take your advice and rest, eat, laugh and stay positive.

??? I don't know what that means, Susan.

But thanks for letting us know. So glad to here his spirits are up.

I am sorry, "fres" in Yiddish means to eat. I said, "fres!" or eat!! (I was emphasizing that he needed to eat to get his strength back. It made him laugh and he knew what I meant.

MichelleMarie, I can assure you that he is aware of all the love, support and prayers that he is getting from the board. He was happy to talk and I told him more than once that I didn't want to wear him out and I promised that I would call tomorrow.

This is good to hear, I addressed our card to his house, I figured he might get it quicker especially if he is maybe going to be home on Tuesday.

MichelleMarie, I can assure you that he is aware of all the love, support and prayers that he is getting from the board. He was happy to talk and I told him more than once that I didn't want to wear him out and I promised that I would call tomorrow.

Many thanks for keeping us informed and most of all that you are in touch with him. He won't forget you and neither will we. Having someone actually tell you that they are concerned is good medicine and much easier to take than what they actually give him in the hospital. This type of support truly helped my own mother when she was so disgusted with being in hospital. Was so obvious that it made her feel different. Thanks again for your time and understanding.

I have been a caregiver for over 10 years, that is why I knew what Dave needed to hear and we had become friendly since I became involved here. Dave doesn't know strangers--everyone is a friend and is made welcome.

I have been a caregiver for over 10 years, that is why I knew what Dave needed to hear and we had become friendly since I became involved here. Dave doesn't know strangers--everyone is a friend and is made welcome.

this is not a surprise......he's one of the nicest guys that I've met online.......hey, Dave........I still need more of your recipes........you'd better eat that food whether it's horsemeat or maresmilk or not...........or I'm going to drag you back to KZ and then you'll have to eat that stuff..........love, debs.......hope and pray that your ordeal is soon over.......please take care of yourself..........

I promised Dave that I would call him today and I have tried on three separate occasions and the phone rings and rings. I do not know what that means. If anyone has an update, please tell us.

A nurse happened by Dave's old room and she is going to tell me how to reach him as he has been moved to another room. He does not need as close monitoring as he did. So, he is doing better. :)

A nurse happened by Dave's old room and she is going to tell me how to reach him as he has been moved to another room. He does not need as close monitoring as he did. So, he is doing better. :)

Thanks Susan. I was going to refer to your post/#13 that if he'd been moved the # would also have changed.
Give him my best.
Another card on the way, but to his home.

I just spoke to Dave - yep, they moved him again. He sounded even better than last time and is hoping to get to go home on Tuesday. There is talk of starting him on chemo early next week, with treatments being once a week. Right now, he is getting injections to build up his body's ability to make red blood cells. If it works well, he can start the chemo. As always, he is very upbeat and positive about beginning chemo. He's just really anxious to get home. He said again how much all the calls and cards and posts mean to him and he can't wait to get back on DC. (I think the medical term is "DC Withdrawal".:))

I just spoke to Dave - yep, they moved him again. He sounded even better than last time and is hoping to get to go home on Tuesday. There is talk of starting him on chemo early next week, with treatments being once a week. Right now, he is getting injections to build up his body's ability to make red blood cells. If it works well, he can start the chemo. As always, he is very upbeat and positive about beginning chemo. He's just really anxious to get home. He said again how much all the calls and cards and posts mean to him and he can't wait to get back on DC. (I think the medical term is "DC Withdrawal".:))

Yes, I spoke to him right after you did, Terry. Dave is in very good spirits. He is on procrit which worked well for my father. I encouraged him and told him that he has to stay positive and told him that he sounded better, too. In time, he will gain his strength back, too. He was hankering for some poppyseed cream cheese ruggelach but since I have no water at the moment, I cannot bake them. Perhaps once things are straightened out here with my plumbing and he is back home, I can give it a go. I took that as a good sign--his being hungry and wanting to eat. He is overjoyed by all the well wishes, prayers and loving support that he is receiving from the board. I told him when he does get home there will be cards waiting for him. I also promised that I would call him back tomorrow. I know how boring it can be being stuck in the hospital--time drags. He told me to tell all of you, "G-d bless you all" and that he really appreciated all the good will. He believes that the prayers have made all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom