Mother's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jimmy

Senior Cook
What is everybody doing for Mother’s Day? I will be cooking brunch for 75 -100 people. My menu will consist of:

Seared Scallops over a succotash of fresh corn, fava beans, bacon, onion and sauce soubise.

Surf and Turf Wellington: Beef tenderloin stuffed with lobster and duxells wrapped in puff pastry

Roasted Salmon with sauce portugaise

Traditional Eggs Benedict with marchand de vin

Mimosa & Bloody Mary

Chocolate Crème Brulee

Orange Crème Caramel

Crepes with ricotta and macerated berries.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

My sisters and our kids take my Mammaw to the cemetary to momma's spot and then go eat lunch together. We used to go to church with her, but, the church moved pretty far away and she doesn't get there too much anymore. Plus, she will be 89 and doesn't get around as well as she used to.

Whoa... ChefJimmy can I bring my Mom to your meal? That sounds divine!

I think I'm going to take my Mom out for brunch. The culinary school in my city always puts on a fantastic Mother's day brunch and since they are practicing students you can get a really nice meal for a good price.

The menu is here. (online .pdf file)

I think DH is taking me to one of my favorite resturants....but I'm not sure. Def. won't be cooking on my day.

Chef_Jimmy said:
Sure, just make a reservation and come to memphis!

My Mom would definitely be into that. She loves Memphis a lot. I'd love to take her on a nice trip somewhere but alas... I'm a "starving student" and dont think my student loan would cover the cost of plane tickets! :LOL:

I'll be working as a personal chef for my S.O.

Her order has already been placed for Mother's Day dinner.

Filet Mignon with Bearnaise sauce
Lyonnaise Potatoes
Asparagus

I'm working on dessert

mother's day

Not sure hopefully staying at home. Probably not I was hoping
to visit my husband's mom and my mom before Sunday but I don't
think it will happen. My birthday falls on May 14th sorta just
wanted to spend it at home with my own kids, but it can't be
all about me.

Every year for the last 6-7 years Paul and I have gone on our first camping trip of the year on Mother's day weekend.

David loves it because he can get away with just calling me a few days before or a few days after. My mom hates it because she thinks we do it so we can get away with just a call a few days before or after... Paul's mom ( Love her to death) tells us to have a great time and enjoy ourselves.

i think we'll probably stay home, and i'll let dw sleep in late. i will take the boy to a park for a few hours so she can really sleep.

then, it'll start with breakfast in bed of a 3 eggwhite, chorizo, and mushroom omelette, home fries, yogurt with fresh berries and flax seeds, coffee, cranberry and orange juice.

then it'll be a "whatever she wants to do" day. maybe go to lambertville, nj/ new hope, pa. for a day of artsy craft shopping and eating.

for dinner, i'm going to suggest that i'll make dw's fave: steamed lobsters, littleneck clams, redskin potatoes, and corn on the cob. and lot's of clarified butter.

as far as a gift goes, i'm looking into getting her an inversion table, to help with a back injury. besides, it'll help her see my side of things...:)

Last edited:
In the UK, Mothering Sunday is during Lent, and we have some special dishes such as simnel cake, although that is now also made as an Easter treat.

All the menus I've seen here are wonderful. We will be at our son's for mother's day, so will celebrate with our daughter, son in law, grandaughter and grandson this Sunday. I think we will just go to Carrabbas after church. I'm taking my mother a basket of goodies to leave with her since we won't be there on Mother's day. She cries when we leave so I will pretend forgetfulness and give it just as we are leaving. That should work.

I dont know since I'm the mom, so someone better come up with something special:LOL:

I never ever go out to eat on holidays like Mothers Day. The menus are contrived & overpriced, & every place is crowded. Not fun.

A relaxing Mothers Day for me is just puttering around the house & then having takeout pizza or Chinese for dinner.

BreezyCooking said:
I never ever go out to eat on holidays like Mothers Day. The menus are contrived & overpriced, & every place is crowded. Not fun.

A relaxing Mothers Day for me is just puttering around the house & then having takeout pizza or Chinese for dinner.

Same for me, I dont want to go out, would rather have someone cook something nice for me.

texasgirl said:
My sisters and our kids take my Mammaw to the cemetary to momma's spot and then go eat lunch together. We used to go to church with her, but, the church moved pretty far away and she doesn't get there too much anymore. Plus, she will be 89 and doesn't get around as well as she used to.

That sounds really nice TG :)

Saturday night, I think my mom, my aunt and I will have dinner at Isaac's, overlooking the water in Plymouth, MA. I want to make Buttermilk Pie for our dessert back at her house (I've never heard of it before a month ago).

I'll probably make a breakfast casserole for Sunday. Or maybe that cool bacon and cheese monkey bread with fresh fruit on the side.

Lee

Muvva's day

Chef_Jimmy said:
What is everybody doing for Mother’s Day? I will be cooking brunch for 75 -100 people. My menu will consist of:

Seared Scallops over a succotash of fresh corn, fava beans, bacon, onion and sauce soubise.

Surf and Turf Wellington: Beef tenderloin stuffed with lobster and duxells wrapped in puff pastry

Roasted Salmon with sauce portugaise

Traditional Eggs Benedict with marchand de vin

Mimosa & Bloody Mary

Chocolate Crème Brulee

Orange Crème Caramel

Crepes with ricotta and macerated berries.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Frist time in a long while I haven't had to cook (having moved countries). I am coming over to your place :)

Pat

PS Do you have a lot of mothers??

PS Here's one our mothers enjoyed

Prawn and Bean Salad
prawnbeansalad.jpg
500g fresh round green beans, topped and tailed and snapped in half
1 or 2 cans cannelini beans
1 medium red onion, finely sliced
750g raw prawns (shelled weight)
1 teaspoon chilli paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil then drop in the beans. Bring back to the boil then simmer the beans for three minutes. Remove immediately from the heat, drain and plunge into cold water. Drain and add more cold water. Drain and place in a large bowl with the drained cannelini beans and the red onion. Stir in the chilli paste and garlic.
Bring another pot of salted water to the boil and add the prawns. Return to the boil and simmer until the prawns turn pink and are cooked. Drain, plunge into cold water and drain. Add to the beans.
Whisk together the oil, vinegar, parsley and oregano and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the prawns and beans and turn well to coat.
Chill until required then spoon onto an attractive serving dish.

Hubby will be taking us out to lunch. I'm looking forward to being pampered that day. Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom