Must have spices and seasonings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, if you're like me when it comes to spices, you probably have every individual spice/herb needed to make your own Herbs de Provence. I have just a few more shake-shakes left in my Penzeys bottle, then I plan on mixing up my own blend using this recipe:

Herbs de Provence recipe

3 that i cannot live without paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic salt. Of course I do have a lot more.

GG, if you're like me when it comes to spices, you probably have every individual spice/herb needed to make your own Herbs de Provence. I have just a few more shake-shakes left in my Penzeys bottle, then I plan on mixing up my own blend using this recipe:

Herbs de Provence recipe

I have most of those. No tarragon - not a fan. No savory - never needed it. I might have marjoram - I think I bought some last year in anticipation of making sausage that called for it.

I'll be honest - some might be horrified, but French food is not something I make often ;)

I have most of those. No tarragon - not a fan. No savory - never needed it. I might have marjoram - I think I bought some last year in anticipation of making sausage that called for it.

I'll be honest - some might be horrified, but French food is not something I make often ;)

Herbs de Provence is the flavor ingredient in a classic French omelette. In cooking school that was the only thing we added. It was actually the first time I ever heard of that blend, and it's still the only thing I use it for.

Lately I've been using Penzey's Fox Point seasoning in my omelet. And I've gotten pretty good at flipping it! :woot:

Last edited:

Herbs de Provence recipe

I sure would not like that recipe with tarragon in the mix. Never heard of that before. I can't stand the stuff myself.

This is pretty darn close to what I brought home from the south of France.

5 tablespoons dried thyme
3 tablespoons dried savory
2 tablespoon dried marjoram
5 tablespoons dried rosemary

Kayelle, I'll take the tarragon off of your hands if you'll have my rosemary! Unlike you, tarragon is one of my favorite herbs; rosemary, not so much. They are both in the Penzeys blend, but rosemary leads the list. That's why I figure I'll play around with other versions. The one I posted will be an even smaller batch - I'll measure out just one teaspoon for every tablespoon listed. After all, isn't "playing" with food half the fun of cooking? :)

At least I have a couple of the more difficult items on hand: Himself brought back some organic lavender when he was doing his Astronomy Guy stuff at the farm this fall, and I have ground bay leaf on hand. Love it sprinkled (with other seasonings) on beef meals. :yum:

Besides the basics (kosher salt, black pepper corns, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin seeds and cayenne pepper, etc.), we have:

A variety of dried chilis
Chipotles in adodo
Juniper berries
Cardamom seeds
Caraway seeds
Cure #1
Cure #2
File' powder
Several paprikas
Bay leaves
Kaffir lime leaves (we have a tree)
Brown and black mustard seeds
Coleman's dry mustard
Many Asian sauces and ingredients

Blends:
Adobo
Tony Cachere's Creole seasoning
Liquid crab boil concentrate
Old Bay original
Zatarain's extra spicy crab boil bags
Five spice powder

There are many more, but I won't list them all.

I went through the spices and threw away a bunch of expired ones. Now I am left with salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, basil, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes.

Also, I stocked up on some seasoning envelopes -- brown gravy, chili, taco, fajitas, Ranch.

I can't find any curry at the 2 stores I go to. I guess I have to drive 10 miles away or order off Amazon or eBay.

Any other good spices I should have on hand?

Truffle Salt, truffle oil, smoke paprika, Cayenne pepper, dried ghost peppers, dried Tobasco peppers, cocoa powder, colored sugar sprinkles, dried porcini powder, dried candy-cap mushrooms, maple, molasses, balsamic vinegar, powdered cheddar, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, chili powder, turmeric, Chinese 5-Spice powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, sage, coriander, cumin. That's all I can think of right now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Gosh, where to begin....! :LOL: Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back. :)

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order. :LOL:
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f163/penzeys-spices-any-opinions-85359.html

You just sold me on Penzy. Checking what they have right now.
Lately I can't find in any section of the store the usual spices that we use.
It's all different kinds of chili powders now. What happened?

Everyone mentions penzey's often enough around here. Guess I'll pass on checking Amazon.

Everyone mentions penzey's often enough around here. Guess I'll pass on checking Amazon.

Don't lock in on one brand. Savory has some outstanding individual herbs and spices and blends too.

RP is right that there are many different options - I've been stuck on Penzeys since my first order several years ago. I've never been disappointed, and customer service is outstanding.

Last edited:
I too am more than happy with everything I've ordered from Penzey's. However I have requested they offer the true French version of Herbs de Provence without lavender. I hope they respond, and if they do, I'll certainly pass it on here. I shouldn't have to pay the price of getting it from France.

RP is right that there are many different options - I've been stuck on Penzeys since my first order several years ago. I've never been disappointed, and customer service is outstanding.

The only reason I try to throw in a different option is because there are differences, especially with custom blends. I know that Penzey's has blends that Savory doesn't and vice versa. It pays to shop around.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will never have a bad experience with Savory either. I've dealt with them online and I've bought at one of their stores, and I get the same great service either way.

Put me in a spice store, any spice store, and I'm a happy, happy girl. And you won't get me out of there for a very long time.

The only reason I try to throw in a different option is because there are differences, especially with custom blends. I know that Penzey's has blends that Savory doesn't and vice versa. It pays to shop around.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will never have a bad experience with Savory either. I've dealt with them online and I've bought at one of their stores, and I get the same great service either way.

Do you have a link Rick? I'd like to check them out, and can't find it.

Ive bought from Penzy's online before and was always satisfied.
They used to have a store out by me, but it has since closed, which was very disappointing .

Last year, I was in Newport, RI, and came across a spice store " The Spice and Tea Exchange". I ran in there as fast as I could, and didn't leave for a good half hour ( and $50 + dollars later, probably more but I forgot). I know I got several different paprikas, a Moroccan Spice Blend, and Indian Spice Blend, several different teas and a block of Himalayan Sea Salt ( which kinda looks cool in the kitchen).

They also do online business spiceandtea.com , although Ive never bought from them online. Having such a good experience in the store, I personally will give their online site a shot.

It was a pleasure, though, to actually go in to the store, and be able to physically open each jar and smell each spice.

I wish the Penzy's store was still available by me.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom