My Pancakes are Too Fluffy…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
Here is my recipe for quick Pancakes:

1 cup flour
1.5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1oz vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.

In a second bowl whisk together first egg and oil, then add milk and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until lumpy. Let sit ten+ minutes before cooking.

This results in really fluffy pancakes, anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Problem is that I use real Maple Syrup, and these things suck up ounces of it. I want pancakes that are topped with the syrup and butter, and not ones that absorb every ounce of it and still look/feel dry.

Help!

Here is my recipe for quick Pancakes:

1 cup flour
1.5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1oz vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.

In a second bowl whisk together first egg and oil, then add milk and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until lumpy. Let sit ten+ minutes before cooking.

This results in really fluffy pancakes, anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Problem is that I use real Maple Syrup, and these things suck up ounces of it. I want pancakes that are topped with the syrup and butter, and not ones that absorb every ounce of it and still look/feel dry.

Help!

Omit the baking soda and increase the milk to 1 cup for thinner pancakes. If you want them still moist, but more dense pancakes, omit the oil and add with mashed Bahama, or applesauce in the same amount. Of course that will change the flavor of th pancake.
You can also change the density by using half white, and half whole wheat, or buckwheat flour.

For am alternative, try Dutch Babies, or Charlie's pancakes. The are delicious, but not so fluffy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The basic BM pancake recipe I have in my "blue book" is similar, with 1 egg, 1 tb sugar, 2 tb butter, instead of oil, 1 c buttermilk, instead of 3/4 c milk, and 1/2 tsp soda, but only 1 tsp baking powder. I still add an extra quarter cup of buttermilk for thinner pancakes, for me only. And my favorites are some rye cakes, which have only soda, no BP, 4 c total flour, to 2 tsp soda.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom