My Son Was Stung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when my daughter was a tiny baby, she was stung at least three times by a wasp. we were on my in-laws porch. not much then except for redness.

each subsequent sting in her childhood the reaction was much worse. she is an adult now. if she gets stung, big reaction, always have antihistamines available.

babe:cool:

Neighbors

When my ex had his bees, 6 colonies in the yard, other GRant's Farm, a neighbor who had garden directly across from the hives got stung. Two weeks later, he died. Of course, he was elderly, but I truly believe one can only tolerate certain poison and he was older. Never was I so sick about his bees. He insisted that it could have been someone else's bees! You believe this?

I just don't like having bees around where people want to live. Especially when they are living around people. They are welcome as long as they don't live in my yard. They are beneficial that I cannot deny but having someone getting stung is such a worry. Never bothered the beekeeper. What kind of person was he? When he got stung he couldn't say anything. Had to give hobby up when we divorced.

Well, In the country.........to set your mind at rest...........most domesticated bees (not the African variety) are so pacific that they will buzz around anything that has pollen.......what are we going to do without them???? I had thousands of bees in my front yard 10 years ago and I just told the frightened neighborhood kids to close their eyes and they did.............they found out soon enough that the bees were not going to bother them..........today I see so few.............it's sad..............

Hope your boy's still doing fine, GB.
Question - since he's still a little guy, do you suppose that he still had food/juice on his face that they were attracted to?

It all really depends on the person who is stung. I have had only a few bee stings in my life. The only one I had any reaction to was one just above my forehead (it hurt to move my face for a few hours). My sister, on the other hand, is allergic, and each one is worse and faster-acting. I don't react much to any kind of bug bite/sting, other than a little bump and some itching. I know some people around here who have to go to the hospital for one fire ant bite, or other types of bites. Some people are allergic and some aren't, so it is best to always be prepared.

:)Barbara
P.S. Some things to consider--I read that bees are attracted to dark colors (my allergic sister always wears black!), people's breath, and floral scents. Oh yes, I don't know if it has anything to do with bees, but I also read that some insects are repelled by the smells emitted through the skin of people who take B vitamins.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. He is doing great. The swelling is completely gone and aside from a very small red dot where the stinger went in you would never know he got stung. He is his happy active self. I don't call him Tank for nothing :LOL:

Hope your boy's still doing fine, GB.
Question - since he's still a little guy, do you suppose that he still had food/juice on his face that they were attracted to?
I am sure he was covered in food. The only time he is not is the few seconds after he is bathed. That had nothing to do with the sting though. He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on :(

We will certainly be keeping a close eye on him (as we always do). At his next Dr.'s apt we will ask about the not having an allergic reaction until the second sting thing.

He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on :(

You know, I think he was trying to tell you he wanted you to buy him a drum set.
gobby_drums.gif

Thanks everyone. He is doing great. The swelling is completely gone and aside from a very small red dot where the stinger went in you would never know he got stung. He is his happy active self. I don't call him Tank for nothing :LOL:

I am sure he was covered in food. The only time he is not is the few seconds after he is bathed. That had nothing to do with the sting though. He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on :(

We will certainly be keeping a close eye on him (as we always do). At his next Dr.'s apt we will ask about the not having an allergic reaction until the second sting thing.

seriously that's his nickname, Tank??? my husband's family dog was named Tank.....and his name described him perfectly.............that dog had more personality...............not saying he was an exceptional dog but he had more personality............even today we pay my brother-in-law to do "Tank" impersonations..........he's so good and we just roll on the floor because they are dead on............Poor Tank would be gratified to know that one family member could imitate him to a key..........

seriously that's his nickname, Tank???
Yep that is one of his many nicknames. My wife has a million for him, but one of them was poodle. I did not like her calling my little man poodle so I called him tank. That is because when he crawls he is crawls over anything in his way. He does not crawl around anything. He only crawls over just like a tank would do.

ok, GB, you're a man....I won't say how cute your son's nickname is.........but that is so wonderful..........and you have a very valid reason....it's just that I've never known anyone named Tank outside of this dog............my DH's family dog was a character.........you had to open the door at least 100 degrees or he wouldn't go out.......his tail had finger indentations left by my mother-in-law after years of pulling him inside.....you never put on a pair of tennis shoes in front of him unless you planned on taking him for a walk........we still see some of his offspring in the local neighborhood we think............and finally but not least, he'd wait and hold the big one until in front of my father in law...........dad would come off the couch storming from being asphixiated by the colone..........and no, that's the word I want to use........cologne is something that smells nice...........:) I think that Tank had the last laugh..........that was some dog

Tank... I like it... gotta come up with something better than lego girl!
I'm glad he's ok, stings scare me, I've never seen a reaction and don't want to.
I was stung by a wasp last year and freaked because I hadn't been stung since I was 5 and had no idea if I'm allergic....
Guess what.... I'm ok! (physically anyway) ;)

GB, if all he had was a red welt, you should be ok. The stuff about the second sting being worse is true. Your body needs one sting to start producing the histamines for that particular reaction, thats why the second one would be worse, because now your body knows what to do. However, its not all that likely he is going to be allergic or you would have noticed more reaction right off the top.

Madeleine got swarmed by wasps one year and got stung in 9 spots. She is still panicky about seeing any flying bug.

The best tip I learned for wasp stings is to put the cut root end of an onion on it right away. The enzyme in the milky liquid takes the pain and redness right out. Works like a charm every time we've tried it.

Tank... I like it... gotta come up with something better than lego girl!
I'm glad he's ok, stings scare me, I've never seen a reaction and don't want to.
I was stung by a wasp last year and freaked because I hadn't been stung since I was 5 and had no idea if I'm allergic....
Guess what.... I'm ok! (physically anyway) ;)

nope, she's forever Legogirl................you have made her infamous, SQ!!!!:LOL::LOL:face it..........a star at age 3 and she's not uttered one word here...........what does that tell us???????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:hmmmm........

If we're going into nicknames, I can talk about yours, when you were little... but I will behave because I need to be on good terms with you so you will bring those angels out to visit me and Unca G.

Anyway, here's the facts on the allergy. Yes, it's true. Your mom is right. Call the newspapers!

You cannot be allergic to something until you have been exposed to it. Therefore, the first sting was Osh's exposure. (I will claim to be an authority because I worked for an allergist for all of six months. But I actually learned this before that.)

You were correct that you would have seen any serious reactions within a few minutes.

I hope this is the worst scare you ever get from your kids!

Something tells me this is just the start with this little one. Hi to you and Uncle G from us :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom