National Chicken Noodle Soup Day ~ 3/13/2024 ~ What's In Your Bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
DH requested this
chicken noodle soup.JPG

BAHAHA!
My version of Chicken Noodle Soup.

What's goin' in your bowl?

No noodles for us.

We had to drive to Miami for an errand so stopped at a place we go to once in a while because they make Ollie Burgers. Craig loves them and I most certainly do not, so I'm not fond of cooking them at home and having to then eat 1. He got his Ollie burger fix and I had a blue cheese burger. Pugs got several bites of mine that I brought home wrapped up in a napkin.

I tried a new-to-me recipe, greens and beans. It was supposed to be on polenta, but I am not fond polenta or corn meal mush or mealy pap. So, I used wholewheat couscous. The couscous, in spite of added herbs, was pretty bland. The recipe I saved also had Italian salsa verde to top the beans and greens. The beans and greens part was good. I added some bacon lardons, as suggested for a meatier version. The couscous needs some tweaking. I think I will use the Italian salsa verde, with extra herbs, to flavour the couscous another time. I may just serve the beans and greens over brown rice or pasta another time. It was definitely good enough to finish off the beans part, but not the couscous part.

Beans and Greens on Couscous with Italian salsa verde.jpg
Beans and Greens on Couscous.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I made a Creole type dish, with similar flavors of jambalaya, with some mushrooms instead of shrimp - otherwise, the rest of the ingredients are pretty much the same, at least of the recipe I make. I started by soaking about half an ounce of dried tomatoes in 2 c hot water (once ground up, replaces the tomato paste, I usually use). In a Dutch oven, I start a chopped onion in some EVOO, while cutting up all the rest, starting with a lb of quartered mushrooms, and sautéeing them in another pan. Then added the several minced cloves of garlic, cooked briefly, then added the ham, pepper and celery, and cooked about 5 minutes, then added 1½ tsp thyme, 3/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground bay leaf, and about 3/4 tsp datil pepper, then cooked another minute, then added about 1/4 c white vermouth (maybe a little more, because I emptied the bottle), to deglaze the pan, then I blended the dried tomatoes and the 2 c water I had them soaked in, until totally smooth, then rinsed the VM out with 2 more cups of water, and added 1½ c of parboiled basmati rice, and salted to taste (about 1½ tsp). Then I brought to a simmer, covered, and simmered for 25 minutes. Turned out great, with a lot leftover!
A Creole type dish, with some onion, garlic, red bells, celery, ham, mushrooms, and rice, with thyme, bay, cloves, and datil, for heat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Air fried oil free potato fries and sweet potato fries, with peach puree and ketchup for dipping.
Black bean brownies with dried cherries and chocolate chips.

No noodles for us.

We had to drive to Miami for an errand so stopped at a place we go to once in a while because they make Ollie Burgers. Craig loves them and I most certainly do not, so I'm not fond of cooking them at home and having to then eat 1. He got his Ollie burger fix and I had a blue cheese burger. Pugs got several bites of mine that I brought home wrapped up in a napkin.
I LOVE Ollie Burgers!

sorry CG and thanks taxy. Was in a tearing hurry when I wrote that, I could have at least spelt out one word and you would have probably gotten it. My bad.

I didn't have any fresh tomato, which is usually my go to for a burger, that's why I used a squirt of ketchup. I did however, use a slice of Granny Smith apple for a fresh crunch amongst the gooey.
Yellow mustard is my go to for spreading on the top andd bottom bun, which were two small thin round naan discs.
Didn't have dill pickle slices, usually use them too, right on top of the sweet relish.

All in all and great mess of flavours and I can taste each one. This one was even goooier with those fried onions.

Try a burger with a slice of apple one time - it's nice. Even a slice of orange is good too. I've actually done both together along with some of the other stuff and it is surprisingly good! Thanks to my late 1st mother and father-in-law.

Last night was roasted chicken breasts, roasted red potatoes, steamed broccoli and carrots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom